Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

“Tools are useless because of EVs” is such a weird position.

I'm looking at my neighbor's house across the street and I see a trump bobble head sitting on the shelf in the garage, and a driveway with Acura, and VW I don't think he's got any EV, nor any need for SAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm keeping my hand tools in a toolbox in the garage for the first time (in a cheap Harbor Freight tool cart). Went to use them for the first time this year, warm day after a few cold snaps after a few months of winter.

How worried do I need to be about this condensation on the tools? Should I carry them all inside to keep this from happening?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

I'm keeping my hand tools in a toolbox in the garage for the first time (in a cheap Harbor Freight tool cart). Went to use them for the first time this year, warm day after a few cold snaps after a few months of winter.

How worried do I need to be about this condensation on the tools? Should I carry them all inside to keep this from happening?

You should not be worried at all. No need to bring them in either.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you're cold, they're cold. Bring them inside.

Seriously though, even the cheapest tools will have some kind of coating to prevent corrosion. I've never had anything rust while sitting in the garage unless it was bare steel like the fresh edge of a mower blade, and even that can take a while.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Crossposting from the other tool thread:

bolind posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Makita DSP600 or DSP601. I'm already past the elbow deep into the Makita 18V ecosystem.

These saws fit nicely and directly on the rails/tracks, no adapter needed, right?
The 601 only offers the remote control BlueTooth vacuum start thingie over the 600, right?

Upgrading from a DHS680 which has treated me well.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

bolind posted:

Crossposting from the other tool thread:

I have a XPS01 from Makita, not sure but it looks identical to the DSP600. I assume it's a market name difference, XPS being US market and DSP being somewhere else? Mine fit directly on the track, in this case being Makita 194368-5.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Commodore_64 posted:

I have a XPS01 from Makita, not sure but it looks identical to the DSP600. I assume it's a market name difference, XPS being US market and DSP being somewhere else? Mine fit directly on the track, in this case being Makita 194368-5.

Yup, I'm pretty sure the exact same tool has different names in NA and EMEA. Why is anyone's guess.

In other news, I have signed up for the Kunnippex newsletter. Pray for my wallet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

deimos posted:

The 5 inch cobra is my most used size. But I don't own the XS which may surpass it.

I ordered a pair of the 5" and they arrived and I was somehow expecting a 87% sized version of the 7" I have, was not expecting a very very similar clone of my XS.. The 5" is definitely a different casting/process but it's basically exactly a XS but an inch longer handle. I contemplated returning them but I guess I'll keep em

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 30, 2024

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Trouble shooting a code on my 2007 Prius and I probably need an actual obd2 scanner to see if a particular pump is running. Is something like the Topdon ad600s decent or is there something reasonably better that isn't a thousand bucks? I do the majority of maintenance on our cars myself, so it would get used more than once. Or is a bluetooth reader plus app good enough for general use now? It's what I use with my BMW's and have been fine with up til now.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Trouble shooting a code on my 2007 Prius and I probably need an actual obd2 scanner to see if a particular pump is running. Is something like the Topdon ad600s decent or is there something reasonably better that isn't a thousand bucks? I do the majority of maintenance on our cars myself, so it would get used more than once. Or is a bluetooth reader plus app good enough for general use now? It's what I use with my BMW's and have been fine with up til now.

I bought a Toyota Techstream cable on amazon for $50 when I was troubleshooting a fuel pump issue with my 2011 Tundra. I don't know if it has all the same functionality as the actual dealer software but it worked perfectly for me for manually activating pumps and stuff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

I bought a Toyota Techstream cable on amazon for $50 when I was troubleshooting a fuel pump issue with my 2011 Tundra. I don't know if it has all the same functionality as the actual dealer software but it worked perfectly for me for manually activating pumps and stuff.

I have considered this but am willing to spend a bit more on something that works across the 4 brands we currently own.

A knock on the one I linked is that it only works on limited systems and I'd prefer something that works on everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you want meaningful bidirectional for multiple brands with activation/coding and the ability to run tests/bleeds/etc, especially if you're using it on new enough to have OEM Activation chryslers, you're getting into the $700 price range with Aabout a hundred bucks per year software updates (most have the first two for free). I'm currently using this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CGW5T2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can go with the 900 series/$1k-ish machines which are much nicer but the updates are like $300+ per year on those so no thanks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

If you want meaningful bidirectional for multiple brands with activation/coding and the ability to run tests/bleeds/etc, especially if you're using it on new enough to have OEM Activation chryslers, you're getting into the $700 price range with Aabout a hundred bucks per year software updates (most have the first two for free). I'm currently using this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CGW5T2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can go with the 900 series/$1k-ish machines which are much nicer but the updates are like $300+ per year on those so no thanks.

Pretty sure I flat out don't need the super expensive ones. I was really hoping to get better bidirectional stuff in the $300-400 range but it looks like everything in that price range is limited in a lot of ways. This one looks close but I can't find an actual list of what bidirectional things it does besides "and others...." at the end of a short list.

e: the Launch X431 CRP919E seems to be a good in between option that hits most of what I'd want to do

e2: xtool d7 also looks good - went with this one on sale.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 2, 2024

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Check out Harbor Freight's ZURICH ZR15s. I borrowed one a while back and it's the nicest thing I've ever used from Harbor Freight. There's much fancier stuff out there but the manual available on their website should be able to tell you what it can/can't do and if it'll be sufficient for you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Why is it so hard to find these wrenches in 6 point configurations, I mean 12 points work for most stuff but sometimes you really want one of these with 6 points when you don't want to strip a bolt head and a socket is too large.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I can honestly say I've never used nor wanted anything like that in my life and I'm not exactly young.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
That's just a u joint ratchet with extra less steps.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why is it so hard to find these wrenches in 6 point configurations, I mean 12 points work for most stuff but sometimes you really want one of these with 6 points when you don't want to strip a bolt head and a socket is too large.

slidebite posted:

I can honestly say I've never used nor wanted anything like that in my life and I'm not exactly young.
Semi-same, except now I kinda want some. But the price to utility ratio is probably not great.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think they're pretty nifty. less than 20 bucks for a set. I just wish they where 6 pointed.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I feel like the utility of that is severely limited when you can just use a flex head ratchet like a Gearwrench 120XP and a long locking socket extension. At least, that's my go-to for stuff like spark plugs and other tight reach, or even better, a ratcheting wrench

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I can't see what niche that fills that isn't filled by a ratcheting wrench or a small ratchet and a nano socket. All the same ... I'm sorry, OP, didn't you say you had a welder? Sounds like one of those with a 6 point configuration is only an afternoon away ...

Cat Hatter posted:

Check out Harbor Freight's ZURICH ZR15s. I borrowed one a while back and it's the nicest thing I've ever used from Harbor Freight. There's much fancier stuff out there but the manual available on their website should be able to tell you what it can/can't do and if it'll be sufficient for you.
Seconding this, also. I was just wrestling with this (in this very thread) and ended up getting the ZR15s. It accesses a lot more than I expected it to, and I'm very happy with it so far.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Every tool has its niche. The flexible metallic disc couplings that I work on have counterbored holes on the flanges. Because of the tight clearances the only tool that can access the bolts is a flexible socket head wrench.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
What's that tool that makes it easy to do those spring clamps used on, among other things, radiator hoses?

Also, anybody ever used a V shaped tire valve stem extender to leave on your spare so you can check/add air without having to remove the tire? Do those work, or just leak all your air out within a couple days?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Hose clamp pliers or radiator hose clamp pliers.

Valve stem extensions work, but you get what you pay for. Good ones are used on commercial and heavy trucks, especially with duals. There are even flexible hose extensions.
Edit: Heavy truck would be a different thread so you'd need to get one for light or medium truck.
I don't know what brands to recommend.

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 3, 2024

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, I can't see what niche that fills that isn't filled by a ratcheting wrench or a small ratchet and a nano socket. All the same ... I'm sorry, OP, didn't you say you had a welder? Sounds like one of those with a 6 point configuration is only an afternoon away ...

That's something I would buy for a specific use and keep with that machine.

I had a mower with a carb that could find water in the Sahara in July. I finally kept a hex wrench rubber-banded to the handle so I could pull and drain the bowl every time I used it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I had great use of just that tool, it was the only socket I had that would reach in where I needed it to go. None of my other wrenches or sockets or jointed socket holders where able to get in there, all too large. It saved my bacon.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I recently started using a Klein Tools 65200 at my job with a variety of bits and it’s been a game changer for me. Maybe it/another mini ratchet doesn’t have the reach that you need, but it’s been great to me in very tight spots with ye olde magnetic socket bits.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Maybe there is a ratchet that would fit but I don't have one with the ones I own, there was also the matter of getting enough torque to get the bolt to release. It required a decent amount even after I had heated the bolt to glowing red.

This tool was so cheap I cut it in two to be able to turn a more complete turn down in the cramped space once I had the bolt loose. Made it difficult to torque up properly but eh just weld it back up. Sometimes you have to customize a tool.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got to use the Xtool D7 today. Did exactly what I needed it to do for the coolant bleed on the Prius. Fairly intuitive to use so far but I haven't exactly done much with it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I bought the ubiquitous 1.5 ton light weight aluminum HF floor jack to take to the track. It is so much lighter than my 3T steel unit.

I am considering the Avanti airless sprayer to seal my deck after an upcoming pressure wash. Anyone have a favorable review for this application? It is much thinner than paint. I’ll probably put down several gallons.

Speaking of pressure washers I got a new one as my electric Ryobi gave me one too many problems.

I can’t find the link but it is a Generac 3100 2.4gpm. I wanted a little higher gpm machine but I got it from Costco so if it turns out to be a turd I can take it back. It was the best one they had available at the time.

My FIL gummed up another carb on his pressure washer with a Honda GV160. It only will run with the choke full on. The carbs are $10-16 bucks on Alizon but are a little annoying to swap out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

fknlo posted:

Got to use the Xtool D7 today. Did exactly what I needed it to do for the coolant bleed on the Prius. Fairly intuitive to use so far but I haven't exactly done much with it.

This made me do a double-take as the xTool D1 is a benchtop diode laser engraver.