Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The most advanced tool I’ve used besides the rabaconda is the tmt3
https://youtu.be/IHvcuznuWzs?si=vWoZYJ7XdDdUl74y

The current version of it is the tmt6
https://tiremountingtool.com/products/tmt6-tirecharger-max

Both of those are more mx focused and can’t easily do wide rimmed rear street tire.

So, no, I’ve not use a “proper” changer since I’ve never has access to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Some of these electric motorcycles are starting to get clutch simulation or actually have a gearbox. 🤔

Am I a bad person for peeping those?

Also, hi. It's bike season here again.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Some of these electric motorcycles are starting to get clutch simulation or actually have a gearbox. 🤔

Am I a bad person for peeping those?

Also, hi. It's bike season here again.

What does the gearbox.. do? If you're just switching into what feels like a higher torque setting because there's more regen or whatever, isn't that basically just a different ride mode?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The Matter Aera (released in 2023) has a real 4-speed gearbox, which (based on a few reviews I watched) seems to be necessary to compensate for a weak electric motor, but the marketing says it's to make the bike more approachable to newbies. Whereas the Kymco SuperNEX/RevoNEX (not in production yet?) have simulated shifting where you're basically just switching between different ride modes/regen levels, and it plays engine sound effects to match what you'd normally hear when up/down shifting. There's almost zero practical reason for an electric motorcycle to have a transmission but if you want to ICE cosplay I'm not gonna judge.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 3, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Getting an electric bike that plays engine sounds is about as revolting as fake meat

Just lean into what you've got and make a nice falafel or something ffs

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I’ve been finally able to use my 88 tenere for the first time consistently with zero issues for 4 days. Electric issues sorted with new regulator and new battery. And after I went over and resealed the air box, with adding some missing screws it’s smoother with throttle input.

It’s pretty funny, I was washing my tenere for the spring, due to drainage issues I do that by the street. Some dude on a adv bike passed, did a double take and came back, parked up and wanted to talk about the tenere. The dude has a xt600 86 and had not seen my bike before even being into them and they being pretty rare.

We got to talking and I mentioned my adjustment issues with the dual carb on a single cylinder mess.

He had had more issues than I had with his bikes carb and brought up that they are really sensitive on air in, ie it has to be within what it was tuned for factory, the air box has to seal, and filter has to be as restrictive as factory.

That lead me to go over the air box properly on my bike. It had some lost screws, be it from po or me in my ignorance. I could by pushing it together make it seal better.

He also said that even when properly tuned they are not 100% smooth on all rpm ranges with all inputs. It’s just how they are. That made me relax about it, and just use it as is.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 3, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Strife posted:

What does the gearbox.. do? If you're just switching into what feels like a higher torque setting because there's more regen or whatever, isn't that basically just a different ride mode?

If it’s a real gearbox, it’ll give you more torque at low speed for whoolies and higher max speed. My Zero is direct drive (belt from motor to wheel) and can’t wheelie and maxes at 103mph so that the magnet glue in the IPM motor doesn’t come loose and grenade itself. The bike maker picked the belted ratio to be able to hit 100mph but power on both end suffers. On the plus side there’s no transmission efficiency loss.

If it’s just a simulated clutch it’d still be nice for power modulation and the ability to pop whoolies. I can tell you from experience that turning a throttle tube isn’t as fast or as precise an action as you can do with a clutch lever.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Getting an electric bike that plays engine sounds is about as revolting as fake meat

Just lean into what you've got and make a nice falafel or something ffs

Feel this way about CVTs tbh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those make sense on a scooter imo

The ones that have fake gear steps are an abomination though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The ones that have fake gear steps are an abomination though

That's what I mean, Bizwank mentioned e-bikes simulating shifting and I should have copied that into my response as well

A little skeumorphism is fine here and there but adding ornamental gearshifts to CVTs denies the entire purpose of a CVT, just throw a friggin slushbox at it fucks sake

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Strife posted:

Yeah, I think the clutch modulates engine output and turns off regen depending on how far you pull it. Idk if it actually disengages the drive. Zero I guess just announced they are doing it too. I think a clutch would be useful for like clutch up wheelies or something. Theres no way to make an electric throttle go fast from 0 to some high % output other than having a clutch acting like a switch drop it. Feels like a valid control.

Gears...no idea. I think some small engines actually have a gearbox. But it adds weight and complexity.

My electric standup scooter has modes on it's engine controller. BLDC engines don't always have like perfect stator positioning feedback. Some of them read based on back EMF, some hall sensors. It is possible to modulate PWM engine signals in certain ways that impact torque for BLDC, at least on less sophisticated engines. A brushed motor always has consistent torque given steady current. Maybe they send bursts of higher than rated voltage for emulated gears to fake high torque.

I don't know, I like the activity of riding a bike with gears, I would enjoy the activity even if it was faked - how's it any different than like a bike simulator where you sit infront of a screen on a video game on a bike thing? They have those for training 😂

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 4, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's different in the sense that one of those is actually fun

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Welp. I am sort of settled on getting a sumo this season. I considered electric for two seconds.

I am torn between buying my stepfather's CRF450RL for $4000 and putting 17 in wheels on it, and the KTM EXC F 500 that just came out. On paper the KTM looks insane. For the price though, it better be. They changed a lot for 2024.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 4, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Remember to add $3k to the ktm for all the eventual crap you have to fix that ktm didn’t from factory.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Remember to add $3k to the ktm for all the eventual crap you have to fix that ktm didn’t from factory.

Sigh. Yeah, sadly.
Looking at Racetech suspension the stock spring rate seems fine for my weight and sumo. Tires and wheels might be enough to start.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 4, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think clutches make a lot of sense on electric dirt bikes. There is so much to riding a dirt bike that is helped by the ability to use a clutch.

For example, this electric trials bike:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7345949216390319392

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Trials biking in general is insane to me. I could not climb over half of those courses and they ride a motorcycle on them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I read an interview with someone building the courses for (I think) the AMA Trials championship. He said he just walked through the woods, found things that he thought were impossible to ride over, and marked it as part of the course.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I was just peeping the EXC-F 500 in person. The tripple t, fork spacing, fork length, swingarm angle and length, and even maybe the rake etc are all vastly different compared to the SMR 450.

gently caress the internet saying just swap the wheels lol.

Putting slicks on there would just be ruining a dirt bike.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went to a Suzuki demo event today, there was a two ride limit so I got to try two bikes I was very curious about:

S1000GT - Comfortable and (compared to my FJR) lightweight, easy to ride around. The close-ratio transmission is as dumb as I feared it'd be, first gear must top out at 80mph - I'm not skilled or reckless enough to get use out of all 150hp on the street. Not a bad bike but I don't think I'd buy one, I'd take a Ninja 1000 or an MT-10 instead.

DRZ400SM - :buddy::buddy::buddy::buddy: I had a big dumb grin under my helmet the whole time and I want to go buy one right away.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone should own a supermoto, specifically a drzsm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

still strongly lusting after this supermoto personally

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I was just peeping the EXC-F 500 in person. The tripple t, fork spacing, fork length, swingarm angle and length, and even maybe the rake etc are all vastly different compared to the SMR 450.

gently caress the internet saying just swap the wheels lol.

Putting slicks on there would just be ruining a dirt bike.

The 500 is street legal and the 450 isn’t though. Maybe that doesn’t matter to you. If you’re just looking for a track bike honestly I’d just buy the CRF450L for 1/3 of the price and 9/10 of the performance.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Toe Rag posted:

The 500 is street legal and the 450 isn’t though. Maybe that doesn’t matter to you. If you’re just looking for a track bike honestly I’d just buy the CRF450L for 1/3 of the price and 9/10 of the performance.

It does matter in that while I am keeping my Versys, I don't want to spend $12000 on a bike that might have 6 or 7 outings at a track a season. That is why I was looking at the 500. But I think I'd need to install a fork lowering kit at minimum along with 17 inch wheels, tires, possibly fork valves and springs for a good 500 exc-f. Possibly the rear suspension too would need modifications.

The crf450 conversion is looking more attractive right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Drop some steel valves in the honda and lol into the sunset.