Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Lockback posted:

Pay close attention to the ceilings. If some ceilings are recently painted despite the rooms not being recently painted they are covering water stains.

That sounds like there’s a story there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
welp we have bought a second house, now we have to renovate it and move in and then sell our old one

I've had four different people now look at the apparent foundation issues (cracks in the brickwork and moisture in the crawlspace).

One company recommended 30 feet of drain tile, a sump pump, and four helical piers, for about 15k (this was our initial estimate during the due diligence period, and we got credit at closing).

One guy (the termite guy who did the cl-100) recommended lining the entire perimeter of the crawlspace with drain tile.

One company recommended encapsulation, a dehumidifier, no sump pump or drain tile, and a total of sixteen helical piers (mostly in the place the other guy recommended piers, but just four times as many piers), for like 35 grand total.

One company (a local handyman I trust, but not a foundation expert) thinks the issues are mostly settling, one nasty tree root from a neighbor's tree coming in under the garage (I think he's right about that one) and water coming in off the roof due to bad gutters; he recommends better gutters and cosmetic repairs to the brick veneer only.

Time to call in a structural engineer I suppose. :sigh:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 3, 2024

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I was told to check under sinks and while looking at one house I opened the cabinet in the first bathroom and surprise there was a water leak and mold.

My realtor dryly noted he would inform the seller's agent to have it addressed before it got worse. Last I heard they ended up replacing the entire vanity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rotten posted:

That sounds like there’s a story there

There's a lot of stories there. It's exceptionally common. People hide damage all the time or, at best, "live with it" after the source of the leak has been fixed then repair/paint when they are selling.

It's the same old story as cars. Lots of people allow things to fall into maintenance debt, get tired of living in/driving that old POS, then fix everything before selling or take a bath on selling it. If you keep up with maintenance you don't have to live in or drive a POS.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

There's a lot of stories there. It's exceptionally common. People hide damage all the time or, at best, "live with it" after the source of the leak has been fixed then repair/paint when they are selling.

It's the same old story as cars. Lots of people allow things to fall into maintenance debt, get tired of living in/driving that old POS, then fix everything before selling or take a bath on selling it. If you keep up with maintenance you don't have to live in or drive a POS.

Yeah, when we look at homes we always look for recently touched stuff because that's where the known problems are.

Also pro tip: If you go to tour a staged house and there's a rug on the ground, lift that poo poo up. There's a 100% chance of damage on the floor under it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Same with paintings or shower curtains. Pull back everything.

The latter story: we either didn’t look or it didn’t register that it seems like Gary let his kids do the tile work in the hall shower; literally looks like the kids colored it in with marker. I’ll post a picture later.

Fortunately it will also be used for our kids, so I don’t care about the aesthetics, and our own en-suite bathroom is great. But it was certainly a “wait, did we just not see that?” moment when we closed and the curtain had been removed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Motronic posted:

Fun fact: this goes for your own body, too!

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My real estate agent had a habit of walking around the places we looked at barefoot. You can "feel" problems with floors!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uthor posted:

My real estate agent had a habit of walking around the places we looked at barefoot. You can "feel" problems with floors!

almost certainly a fetish

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

almost certainly a fetish

Sure, but it also got her to convince me to get a deep check of the foundation after she felt some moisture on the basement carpet.

Foundation is fine.

Turns out water is coming down the stairs from the outside and I need to deal with that. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At least it’s not the foundation.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Uthor posted:

Sure, but it also got her to convince me to get a deep check of the foundation after she felt some moisture on the basement carpet.

Foundation is fine.

Turns out water is coming down the stairs from the outside and I need to deal with that. :(

drat, the foot check yielded real results

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Uthor posted:

This one actually isn't all that bad, if you're looking at old homes it's a good way to tell if a floor has been finished too many times. I dunno if I'd do that first tour but if you were coming back for a 2nd or 3rd look its honestly not a bad idea.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lockback posted:

This one actually isn't all that bad, if you're looking at old homes it's a good way to tell if a floor has been finished too many times. I dunno if I'd do that first tour but if you were coming back for a 2nd or 3rd look its honestly not a bad idea.

It can also tell you a lot about whether the floors were put in right, and potentially some other poo poo if it's two stories. You really don't want to feel any bounce in your flooring, and a lot of flippers use LVP to hide defects in the floors underneath.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Update on house purchased yesterday:

Today at lunch my mother in law found a baby copperhead in the back yard

Just one! So far!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Venomous snakes is one of the more metal post close discoveries \m/

Nybble posted:

Same with paintings or shower curtains. Pull back everything.

The latter story: we either didn’t look or it didn’t register that it seems like Gary let his kids do the tile work in the hall shower; literally looks like the kids colored it in with marker. I’ll post a picture later.

Fortunately it will also be used for our kids, so I don’t care about the aesthetics, and our own en-suite bathroom is great. But it was certainly a “wait, did we just not see that?” moment when we closed and the curtain had been removed.

The line between aesthetics and functional defects is irritatingly hard to see

Here's one I'm going to ""live with""

I cracked the glass installing a lock. It's only aesthetic, but maybe a buyer would/will care

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Got an offer accepted!

Now to see what horrors the inspection finds and construct the mortgage lender Loan Estimate thunderdome!