Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It could be fun to have the big bad immediately flee rather than fight, because he had the exact same vision as the players. Maybe he made a bad bargain with an Elder Power, and it's about to show up to claim his soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
We had the opposite happen where the bard used thunderwave and it killed all her allies then gm was like well just take that back

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Squidster posted:

It could be fun to have the big bad immediately flee rather than fight, because he had the exact same vision as the players. Maybe he made a bad bargain with an Elder Power, and it's about to show up to claim his soul.

This is great, do this. Or he just surrenders.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Back when I was running Unknown Armies, I wanted an NPC that claimed to have invented Chronomancy, and could seemingly perform limited time travel magic. He'd show up, save the PCs from certain death with impossible foresight, and then bully them into doing favours for him because Only He Can Save Them!!! Later on, it would be revealed he was actually a Cliomancer with limited memory injection powers. He'd give the players the memory that he'd saved them without ever actually doing anything, or the memory that he beat them up one-handed. He was just a social threat, not a physical one.

So it could be a memory mage loving with the PCs, cosplaying as a psychic or time-traveller.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stealing this one!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dameius posted:

Fair enough, you know your table better than anyone here. I was kinda hoping I could gleam some inspiration to your op from the response. What's the magic/deity situation like? Is there someone in the setting that'd want to mess with their head to give them false sense of bravado? Great way to slip in a surprise mechanic to retool the fight if you want.
Yeah, just a complete snap decision that I want to integrate now. But there are in fact some background villains around that desperately need to make an entrance.

Maybe they did give both the party and the boss a vision of thoroughly trouncing the respective opponent to really pit them against each other and pick up the pieces!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's kind of like some of those Sci-fi/Fantasy shows where the team is under a spell or in a simulation, but they don't realize until there's one little thing that clues them in.

"What just happened?"
"Uh, you were kicking his rear end with some thunder magic, then we woke up here. Why don't you do that all the time?"
"That's the problem. I don't know thunder magic."

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
So I've got an encounter possibility that I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas to add to. It's a set of monasteries up north that a group of Mielikki worshipers currently guarding an iron flask (containing a fire hellion). It's not winter yet but they'll need to make sure the building (carved into the side of a mountain) is prepped for winter, and that they've got their food/supplies set. I've got one member of the group who is having a bit of a crisis of faith so depending on the players actions might try to grab the flask and bail. I want to try and have a few more things that the group could rp interacting with this one, and wondering if there are any other gods/orders which might make more sense to be guarding this item?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man I've been pondering how to launch a player backstory arc about his disgraced naval career where he survived his ship being stolen. An enemy which ruined his life and left him a hard bitten mercenary without him ever finding out who or why. I couldn't figure out how to start this plot but now that the players have multiple ships the inciting incident is obvious -- steal their ship!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Someone related to the crime gets drunk and sloppy. Maybe he needs protection from the original criminal… And he’ll tell what he knows if someone can keep him alive through a big festival.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man I've been pondering how to launch a player backstory arc about his disgraced naval career where he survived his ship being stolen. An enemy which ruined his life and left him a hard bitten mercenary without him ever finding out who or why. I couldn't figure out how to start this plot but now that the players have multiple ships the inciting incident is obvious -- steal their ship!

Worked in Star Frontiers too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Have you ever wanted to stop a campaign because you inadvertently turned your players into Gods?

It's a struggle to create challenging, balanced encounters. My players ARE having fun though, so that's not an issue. It's just become more and more difficult to prepare a fun session as they progressively get stronger and better. It's getting to the point where I want to start a new campaign set in the future, long enough for their characters to age out and die but for their effects to still be felt*. Just some examples...they own an interstellar bank, own a planet, 3 starships of varying sizes, a starship production facility, started a religion, and run a "medical" (drugs) corporation, and have a robot colony on another planet. This was my first ever campaign and I was a bit too generous with the financials in the beginning before realizing how much I borked it.

Has anyone in a similar situation? How did you handle it?

*I have tons of ideas for this as I have designed an entirely fresh geopolitical situation so a railroady or open campaign can be done easily.

This is for Stars Without Numbers in a homebrew universe if you need to know the rules.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 3, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ask them what challenges they want their characters to face. Spend 40 minutes on it between sessions. tell them about your worries and grade problems that can’t be solved by throwing $ at them… Problems of priorities, obligation, and choosing between outcomes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ork invasion

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
in case of having that problem in Stars Without Number, specifically, i would be extremely tempted to try and integrate the Godbound rules and keep on trucking

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I have this idea of a fleet from another galaxy entering our galaxy to seek revenge for an ancient invasion through a wormhole that was eventually destroyed (by an ancient precursor race millions of years ago), causing catastrophic damage in our galaxy, their galaxy, and in other dimensions. The fleet was basically in cryo sleep for eons, to awake upon arrival in our galaxy. I guess I could roll the dice to see where in the galaxy they arrive. It'd basically be an existential threat on a timer for them to deal with, if they even bother (they are not known to be good samaritans all the time).

Golden Bee posted:

Ask them what challenges they want their characters to face. Spend 40 minutes on it between sessions. tell them about your worries and grade problems that can’t be solved by throwing $ at them… Problems of priorities, obligation, and choosing between outcomes.

That's a good idea. I honestly did not think about that but it's probably a good time to do so because they've pretty much resolved all their personal quests.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

in case of having that problem in Stars Without Number, specifically, i would be extremely tempted to try and integrate the Godbound rules and keep on trucking

I just did a quick readthrough of a write up on this ruleset and it seems interesting enough. I'll need to do further research before integration but it's a neat idea.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm strongly in favour of ending campaigns and starting new ones tbh, even if you're still having fun. Especially if they get to live in the universe their former characters created. You remember stories, and a twenty session long campaign is about as many stories as a thirty session campaign.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Howdy thread. First-time GM here. Going to start a game of Starforged for a couple buds of mine tomorrow. I’d like to think I’ve internalized by observation/osmosis a bunch of good principles for GMing as a whole, but I’m a bit nervous.

Wondering if any of y’all have any resources that are good for a first-time GM in either PBTA or Ironsworn/Starforged worth reading over? Assume I’ve read a lot of PBTA rulebooks/know not to roll for poo poo that isn’t fictionally important/lean toward yes and if no roll/on and on. Like the most basic of basic stuff I think I’ve internalized but am happy to hear some tips from anyone here who’s GMed these types of games or if anyone has some good resources worth a read, I’d appreciate it a lot. Would also happily take any advice that’s generally applicable, too. I dunno, is there like a GM bible? Lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Remember as GM you're a player as well and get to have as much fun as the people controlling PCs. Also you should keep an eye out for accidental railroading (unless all y'all are wanting that) because in just as much as you are a fellow player, the people controlling the PCs are fellow contributors to the campaign story in both small and big details.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dameius posted:

Remember as GM you're a player as well and get to have as much fun as the people controlling PCs. Also you should keep an eye out for accidental railroading (unless all y'all are wanting that) because in just as much as you are a fellow player, the people controlling the PCs are fellow contributors to the campaign story in both small and big details.

Ooh yeah for sure. Apocalypse World and its many offshoots specifically appeal to me because of the ability to offload some authorship onto players. Heh. Plus it’s way more fun that way in my experience. If anything, I’m concerned about being too lax or not giving situations/antagonists enough teeth. Like difficulty management and pacing are the things I feel I’m most likely to mess up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

unattended spaghetti posted:

Ooh yeah for sure. Apocalypse World and its many offshoots specifically appeal to me because of the ability to offload some authorship onto players. Heh. Plus it’s way more fun that way in my experience. If anything, I’m concerned about being too lax or not giving situations/antagonists enough teeth. Like difficulty management and pacing are the things I feel I’m most likely to mess up.

write down a list of things that you can drop in at any time, just like events or weird noises or things to investigate. and have fun! remember, all you're basically ever doing is saying 'this is what your situation is. what do you do?' that's easy!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I wouldn't worry too much about that in the beginning. As you can see from my post, that can have long term ramifications if you don't notice right away, or your math sucks, but as long as everyone is having fun (including you), then you're doing the right thing.

sebmojo posted:

I'm strongly in favour of ending campaigns and starting new ones tbh, even if you're still having fun. Especially if they get to live in the universe their former characters created. You remember stories, and a twenty session long campaign is about as many stories as a thirty session campaign.

If we do our next session, that's 38 since 2020 (august would the 4 year anniversary). Each session was probably 5 hours long on average, played once a month. except Dec/Jan.

I made some proposals and the group is getting into the idea of retiring but I am also preparing just in case the fickle bastards decide to continue forward.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

sebmojo posted:

write down a list of things that you can drop in at any time, just like events or weird noises or things to investigate. and have fun! remember, all you're basically ever doing is saying 'this is what your situation is. what do you do?' that's easy!

Brilliant. Can/will do. You’re probably right I’m just overthinking it. Here’s hoping this takes off and I’m back in a month with a tricky situation to solve.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

Howdy thread. First-time GM here. Going to start a game of Starforged for a couple buds of mine tomorrow. I’d like to think I’ve internalized by observation/osmosis a bunch of good principles for GMing as a whole, but I’m a bit nervous.

Wondering if any of y’all have any resources that are good for a first-time GM in either PBTA or Ironsworn/Starforged worth reading over? Assume I’ve read a lot of PBTA rulebooks/know not to roll for poo poo that isn’t fictionally important/lean toward yes and if no roll/on and on. Like the most basic of basic stuff I think I’ve internalized but am happy to hear some tips from anyone here who’s GMed these types of games or if anyone has some good resources worth a read, I’d appreciate it a lot. Would also happily take any advice that’s generally applicable, too. I dunno, is there like a GM bible? Lol

I haven't got anything specific for those systems, but here's a 3-page document with advice the old hands at the local roleplaying association find answers most common questions. A great deal of this will feel like common sense and it should, but whatever bits you hadn't considered yet may save you a lot of pain learning it the hard way.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Rule of Cool - if someone asks you if they can do something that sounds loving awesome, and it's reasonably logical to get from point A to D, then find a way to make it happen, even if it ruins your plans. Don't just say no right away. Really think about it and consider it. Your players will love you, love the campaign, and have a kickass moment to cherish. That's the whole point, innit?

For example, one of my players had a suit that allowed him to jump jet 40 feet and his character uses a sword. He wanted to jump on top of a giant BBEG and behead it while standing on its shoulders. I allowed it, but, didn't want to give it to him for free, so I also had him roll a dexterity check to stick the landing, then allowed an execution attack, which is a melee skill check, instead of using an attack roll for a normal attack (normally book rules say you need "one minute of planning" to conduct one but I waived it in this case "due to his training as an assassin"). He succeeded on both and ruined my battle but it was dope and everyone was relieved and excited.

Dice Results as a Spectrum of Success and Failure - Dice rolling results should not be binary except in specific circumstances (the above scenario was binary). Have the possible results of the dice be a spectrum of success and failure. This way you don't screw yourself over, gives you and the players flexibility, and keeps things going. Sure, you might have to plan or adapt a little more but it keeps things moving without outright shutting things down. Sometimes I even allow the same action but use a higher DC the second go-around (maybe a hack failed the first time so security activated prior to the second hack attempt). Other times I might go with "oh now the bomb is ticking faster" after a failed defuse or whatever instead of having it explode or losing the ability to be defused. Obviously if they keep rolling like crap you're out of options but this gives some wiggle room for you and them.

Optional: 1s and 20s. Figure out if you want to respect them and if you do, be consistent. 20s are always auto-successes and double damage (and sometimes cause amazing things to happen). 1s always are auto-misses and cause something catastrophic to happen that's dependent on context (might shoot your foot, or a comrade, depending on relative positioning).

"Map of the Mind" - don't be afraid to use an imaginary map if the situation calls for it! I've found that map of the mind works great for standard situations that they can imagine easily, like exploring a generic facility to get to the boss room . Then you bust out the map for the boss room itself if you desire. It keeps things fresh and scary. Don't worry, they'll still creep along checking every corner and tile. The difference is their imaginations will horrify them even more so it makes it more fun. Bonus if a player draws the map as they creep along as well. Some things being hard to draw appropriately - a 3D space battle - also demand Map of the Mind to flow better during combat.

This is just advice re: SWN / DND so I hope it translates to Starforged.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 4, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks a ton folks. Very much appreciated.

Cool thing about Starforged and its ilk is that success and failure has gradation built right into the system from outright failure, to success with conditions, to outright success. Where other systems try to model something resembling reality, starforged models plot itself. It's cool to see that it enforces some good GM principles in its inherent structure.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 4, 2024

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Optional: 1s and 20s. Figure out if you want to respect them and if you do, be consistent. 20s are always auto-successes and double damage (and sometimes cause amazing things to happen). 1s always are auto-misses and cause something catastrophic to happen that's dependent on context (might shoot your foot, or a comrade, depending on relative positioning).
I would disagree with half of this. Does Conan massively gently caress up 5% of the time he's in combat? Does James Bond shoot himself in the foot once every other magazine? Of course, the PCs aren't legends like these, but they want to be, and it just feels bad to screw up that severely that often. If you feel the absolute need to keep the critical miss, make them confirm the fumble by rolling the attack again and only punish them -- because it is a punishment -- if they miss the second roll. But critical misses usually don't add nearly as much to the game as the GM thinks, IMO.

Of course, none of this advice is applicable to a game like Paranoia, but 20s are the crit misses in that game anyway, and with the Troubleshooters' shoddy cloning methods, sketchy training, and subpar equipment, having 5% of attacks go seriously awry is probably understating the situation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If only 5% of your mission goes wrong in Paranoia something is wrong

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Azhais posted:

If only 5% of your mission goes wrong in Paranoia something is wrong

My problem is that the gunfire directed at my fellow Troubleshooters has far more than a 5% critical failure rate, even when I do things to improve my chance to hit! Like pulling the trigger when the muzzle is touching my fellow Troubleshooter's ear. At least sometimes the weapon malfunction kills us both. OK, that happened once, with a cone rifle; the GM said the malfunction was I had accidentally loaded an HE round instead of a slug round. Still, it's a kill.

Anyway, the 5% critical miss in Paranoia is just the malfunction chance (which is actually 10% with experimental weapons under some rule sets). There's a whole lot that can go wrong between the average laser weapons skill of about 10 and a roll of 20. Like the rest of the team whirling on you while drawing weapons, three of them missing you, one having no effect due to your reflec armor, the final one stunning you for a round with a lovely damage roll, and this comedy of errors going on for like three rounds before someone gets the bright idea to use melee combat, where reflec armor doesn't help.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

I would disagree with half of this. Does Conan massively gently caress up 5% of the time he's in combat? Does James Bond shoot himself in the foot once every other magazine? Of course, the PCs aren't legends like these, but they want to be, and it just feels bad to screw up that severely that often. If you feel the absolute need to keep the critical miss, make them confirm the fumble by rolling the attack again and only punish them -- because it is a punishment -- if they miss the second roll. But critical misses usually don't add nearly as much to the game as the GM thinks, IMO.

Of course, none of this advice is applicable to a game like Paranoia, but 20s are the crit misses in that game anyway, and with the Troubleshooters' shoddy cloning methods, sketchy training, and subpar equipment, having 5% of attacks go seriously awry is probably understating the situation.

I mean that's why it's optional. You can respect the 1 or not. It's up to you and your group. Bad guys can have critical misses, too, by the way!

Here's an example of how it played it out one time: the BBEG had a critical failure using a railgun and ended up doming two of his henchmen. Literally a turn later a player critically missed with his own railgun and ended up puncturing the side of the space station causing decompression. It didn't do team damage in this case (earlier was just an example - perhaps a poor one - but also why I said context matters) but it changed the situation to one where they needed to make a quick escape or find emergency spacesuits or patch the hole. I would never purposely TK with a 1 but might do troll damage with a missed pistol shot or something. But a critical roll is an opportunity to change the dynamic of the fight in a random way so I like them. :shrug:

But again, respecting the 1s and 20s is optional. I know some people don't bother at all with crit successes or crit failures.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Supercharging 1s and 20s also tends to be way more punishing for the players just because

1) There are always going to be more enemies rolling more dice in a campaign against them than there are players
2) The consequences for any given mook rolling a 1 tend to be significantly less catastrophic than a player doing the same while a player rolling a supercharged 20 gets less benefit than a mook because they're more likely to overkill and waste that extra damage.

In DnD 5e (and 3.5) especially it also tends to screw over martials more than casters because so many spells don't have the caster roll while the martials are rolling multiple d20s per turn at level 5+.

It can definitely lead to some really memorable moments but it also makes everything incredibly swingy so make sure everyone is onboard with that kind of expectation!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Supercharging 1s and 20s also tends to be way more punishing for the players just because

1) There are always going to be more enemies rolling more dice in a campaign against them than there are players
2) The consequences for any given mook rolling a 1 tend to be significantly less catastrophic than a player doing the same while a player rolling a supercharged 20 gets less benefit than a mook because they're more likely to overkill and waste that extra damage.

In DnD 5e (and 3.5) especially it also tends to screw over martials more than casters because so many spells don't have the caster roll while the martials are rolling multiple d20s per turn at level 5+.

It can definitely lead to some really memorable moments but it also makes everything incredibly swingy so make sure everyone is onboard with that kind of expectation!

I think the bolded is the important bit!

Also, afaik Kevin Crawford doesn't give a drat about critical rolls. It's definitely something I homebrewed for funsies, a relic from 5e (I initially made a science fiction version of 5e before discovering SWN - while not really liking existing sci fi 5e ports - so my games have some homebrew elements as a result of that). Another edit: I also do NOT do critical success/failure on skill checks, ever.

I hope I'm not coming off as defensive. I appreciate the other perspectives because I don't really have GM to GM discussions. I'm going off my gut and instinct half the time.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think the bolded is the important bit!

Also, afaik Kevin Crawford doesn't give a drat about critical rolls. It's definitely something I homebrewed for funsies, a relic from 5e (I initially made a science fiction version of 5e before discovering SWN - while not really liking existing sci fi 5e ports - so my games have some homebrew elements as a result of that). Another edit: I also do NOT do critical success/failure on skill checks, ever.

I hope I'm not coming off as defensive. I appreciate the other perspectives because I don't really have GM to GM discussions. I'm going off my gut and instinct half the time.

Yeah, to be clear I do not think its wrong to play that way. i play in a game myself where the DM goes kinda ham with the 20s and 1s. You just need to sort of set the tone and expectation for the group because I have seen it lead to some incredible salt.

Definitely can make for some really fun and memorable moments.