Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

cash crab posted:

alright, so i let them meet today.

the girl, aanyeong, won’t really leave my bed because she’s scared of tandy, and tandy doesn’t understand why she’s mad when he charges at her to play wrestle. he’s not being aggressive, just annoying, but it’s obviously distressing to her and i am not sure how to tell her he’s not trying to kill her.

Are they hiding curled up in a corner doing a panic yowl? Its really low and gutteral, at least for our cats its a pretty universal "I ABHOR WHATEVER IS GOING ON AND I WANT OUT", normally reserved for carriers or extreme stress. Are they like hissing and its escalating to fighting and blood? No?

Probably fine then. Gotta let them work it out on their terms. Only intervene if required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Hey so uh have any of you ever had a cat get laryngitis?

Two days ago, my partner and I noticed one of our cat's meows had changed sound; when it comes time to eat, she usually gets all meowy, usually in response to one of the kittens also getting meowy and chatty.

At first, we thought, I wonder if she changed her meow to be more like the kitten, but yesterday her meow was still weird sounding and kind of quiet, so we took her in to the bathroom and put her in the tub, which is something that for sure gets her to meow because she thinks she's getting washed again (because she often gets poop on herself because she's not a bright girl), and sure enough, hoarse meow in response.

From what I've read, this is something that can just happen. None of her other behavior has changed; she's just as (anti)social and active as she usually is, she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs of stress or injury, she still makes dumb faces, and her eating habits haven't changed. She is about a year and a half old, and her and the rest of the cats are all indoor cats.

As it stands, we are giving it a few more days to see if anything improves or not before we book a visit to the vet on Monday.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Hey so uh have any of you ever had a cat get laryngitis?

Two days ago, my partner and I noticed one of our cat's meows had changed sound; when it comes time to eat, she usually gets all meowy, usually in response to one of the kittens also getting meowy and chatty.

At first, we thought, I wonder if she changed her meow to be more like the kitten, but yesterday her meow was still weird sounding and kind of quiet, so we took her in to the bathroom and put her in the tub, which is something that for sure gets her to meow because she thinks she's getting washed again (because she often gets poop on herself because she's not a bright girl), and sure enough, hoarse meow in response.

From what I've read, this is something that can just happen. None of her other behavior has changed; she's just as (anti)social and active as she usually is, she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs of stress or injury, she still makes dumb faces, and her eating habits haven't changed. She is about a year and a half old, and her and the rest of the cats are all indoor cats.

As it stands, we are giving it a few more days to see if anything improves or not before we book a visit to the vet on Monday.

I would treat this a little more seriously, are you able to get the cat in to be seen before Monday? Inflammation of the throat/airways can go bad very quickly in humans and I assume in cars as well. If this is truly inflammation of her larynx she might benefit from being in a humidified space like the bathroom with the shower on. Worth a shot! If she stops eating or drinking I would treat it as an emergency.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rawrbomb posted:

Are they hiding curled up in a corner doing a panic yowl? Its really low and gutteral, at least for our cats its a pretty universal "I ABHOR WHATEVER IS GOING ON AND I WANT OUT", normally reserved for carriers or extreme stress. Are they like hissing and its escalating to fighting and blood? No?

Probably fine then. Gotta let them work it out on their terms. Only intervene if required.

no, it’s just her going “ooooo” with the occasional warning growl. she gave him a good smack before and i put them in separate rooms for an hour, but she is exploring a bit now.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My mom had a cat that had it at some point, it sounded like Ned from South Park saying meow. Didn't seem to affect him much and he almost made it to 20.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Anyone have toy suggestions that Anna can play with while I'm at work? I feel bad leaving her by herself, especially since my current place doesn't have a good view to watch for birds or whatever. I've given her a few catnip mice but she hasn't really reacted to them.

(And for the record yes I'd like to get a second cat, but since I'm moving in a couple months and Anna is still adjusting to being indoors I'd rather hold off on that for the moment.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karia posted:

Anyone have toy suggestions that Anna can play with while I'm at work? I feel bad leaving her by herself, especially since my current place doesn't have a good view to watch for birds or whatever. I've given her a few catnip mice but she hasn't really reacted to them.

(And for the record yes I'd like to get a second cat, but since I'm moving in a couple months and Anna is still adjusting to being indoors I'd rather hold off on that for the moment.)

She probably sleeps all day. Cats are crepuscular, meaning that they're active at dawn and twilight. They generally sleep otherwise.

So don't worry too much about it. Get her some toys if you want, but don't be surprised if she doesn't play with them much while you're gone.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Karia posted:

If you don't already, and this isn't an issue, consider getting a camera for inside your place to observe what your cat does while you're gone.

Our cats have plenty of toys, and we see them play with them all the time when we're around, but when nobody is home and I check in on them via cam to see what's going on, 95% of the time they are just sleeping in their favorite spots.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, my cats have always ignored purpose bought cat toys in favor of things like "a crumpled up sheet of paper" or "a cardboard box I was too lazy to throw out".

With that said, my hermit kitten has found a new shell.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Karia posted:

I've seen my cats self-play with foil balls, kitty kickers, and those ball-track cat toys. It really depends on the cat's preference. Although unless your cat is a kitten, they're probably just fine being home alone all day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats will have preferences, you can get toys made of felt, ones made from animal fur, and the plastic stuff sold at chain pet stores. Etsy is a pretty good place to look for variety.

What we did was buy a variety when our cats were kittens and stored them in a shallow box out in the open. Occasionally they'd select a toy and bat it around the house and we'd find it under a couch or something. Eventually we noticed a pattern and used that to figure out what they like.

Sometimes kitties misread the instructions though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Karia posted:

There are a few out there that are either motion/touch activated or on a timer. I have a cheese that mice pop in and out of that you can set to run for 5 minutes every 30 minutes for the next 8 hours or something like that, and a spinny feather arm in a box that turns on for a minute when it gets bumped.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Cats will have preferences, you can get toys made of felt, ones made from animal fur, and the plastic stuff sold at chain pet stores. Etsy is a pretty good place to look for variety.

What we did was buy a variety when our cats were kittens and stored them in a shallow box out in the open. Occasionally they'd select a toy and bat it around the house and we'd find it under a couch or something. Eventually we noticed a pattern and used that to figure out what they like.

Sometimes kitties misread the instructions though.

Our cats go absolutely bonkers for these toys

Link is here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQCCNJL but they're kind of expensive because the cats absolutely destroy them as soon as they get their claws on them and even in a big pack it's a couple bucks each. So man if anyone's got a cheaper version I'd appreciate it lol

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

cash crab posted:

no, it’s just her going “ooooo” with the occasional warning growl. she gave him a good smack before and i put them in separate rooms for an hour, but she is exploring a bit now.

Unless the hissing escalates and doesn't stop, you can likely not intervene directly. Hissing is their way of communicating with each other, I know its a hard response to not want to shut it down.

Even a lil swatting whatnot is fine, again as long as it isn't escalating into more.

Karia posted:

Echoing what others have said, I WFH, our cats get up for food, and then immediately go back to bed in our master bed most of the day. There is very little difference to them if we're around or not, outside of a midday meal. I mean, they do miss us cuz we were gone, but happy to see us when we get home kind of way.

Most cats are pretty adaptable, if your schedule changes, they'll be grumpy but get used to it.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 19, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, cats are most active in the morning and afternoon/evening, which coincidentally is when most people happen to be home. They usually sleep the rest of the time (although one of my cats likes to hunt toys in the middle of the night).

You do sometimes get cats with separation anxiety, of course, but that's not the norm.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Unless the hissing escalates and doesn't stop, you can likely not intervene directly. Hissing is their way of communicating with each other, I know its a hard response to not want to shut it down.

Even a lil swatting whatnot is fine, again as long as it isn't escalating into more.

My two are brother and sister and they still hiss and swat each other sometimes. I think it's just play at this point. They're not very cuddly so I know things are about to Go Down when one starts aggressively licking the other. Paws come up, someone gets bapped, fur flies, they chase each other around the flat and wrassle and growl and then someone presumably wins and it all calms down again and they go to sleep on the sofa next to each other.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

floofyscorp posted:

My two are brother and sister and they still hiss and swat each other sometimes. I think it's just play at this point. They're not very cuddly so I know things are about to Go Down when one starts aggressively licking the other. Paws come up, someone gets bapped, fur flies, they chase each other around the flat and wrassle and growl and then someone presumably wins and it all calms down again and they go to sleep on the sofa next to each other.

We've got 4, 3 of which have been with each other for like 5-6~ years now. They still fight and hiss with each other, then you can find them all 4 in a cuddle puddle on the big bed.

Just like siblings (and people in general), we fight, make up and move on. Imagine your mom/dad or something coming in and shutting down every "talk" you ever had with a friend or sibling. That's what stopping hissing is.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

okay so i know there’s a learning curve with introducing new cats but tandy is not doing well. he’s completely terrified of annyeong and he’s stopped eating. i can separate them again but i am worried he’s going to develop some issues down the line if she keeps smacking him with no provocation. i wanted to get another cat specifically to keep him company and we’re both pretty miserable right now. im blasting feliway in every room and i am trying to feed/play with them in the same area but last night she cut my hand into ribbons because he got into the bed with me.

e; fully aware it’s been less than a week. i still pretty raw from losing carol and i am a little protective of him so i apologize if i sound a little dramatic, but i just feel very tense and upset.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 20, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cash crab posted:

okay so i know there’s a learning curve with introducing new cats but tandy is not doing well. he’s completely terrified of annyeong and he’s stopped eating. i can separate them again but i am worried he’s going to develop some issues down the line if she keeps smacking him with no provocation. i wanted to get another cat specifically to keep him company and we’re both pretty miserable right now. im blasting feliway in every room and i am trying to feed/play with them in the same area but last night she cut my hand into ribbons because he got into the bed with me.

Are you in a situation where you can isolate Annyeong? I would limit her to one room for now and let them reset / make sure Tandy has a safe space before doing slow introduction options like swapping towels with each other's smells.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Definitely try giving it a reset maybe and going as slow as they need, the two times we've done it, it definitely seems more like a marathon than a race

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

Are you in a situation where you can isolate Annyeong? I would limit her to one room for now and let them reset / make sure Tandy has a safe space before doing slow introduction options like swapping towels with each other's smells.

i can keep her in my room (she was already in there for a bit) for the time being but she wants to leave if i leave her in there and i can’t sleep in my room because if i lock tandy out he caterwauls outside the door because i have had him since he was a baby. hence some of the stress.

i think the rescue might have slightly misled me in regards to how well she gets along with other cats. they told me she “slightly bullied” her own brother but like, i just watched her attack him with no provocation before i separated them again. she’s extremely friendly to people: i think maybe she just doesn’t get along with cats. what’s the time frame for figuring that out?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Good points re: cat sleep schedules, all. This is just my first time taking care of a cat by myself and I want her to have a good life!

Things are going kinda rough right now: her ear infection was still bad at the last vet visit, so we changed antibiotics and also put her on steroids to reduce inflammation. It is working, but the steroids also make her hungry, literally all the time and it's making her kinda hard to engage with because unless she literally just ate then she'd rather beg for food than anything else. Playing? That can wait, feed me. Petting? Stop teasing and just feed me already. Sleeping? Wake up and feed me now. Fortunately tomorrow I get to start ramping down the dosage.

EDIT: Oh, but in positive news she will do this absurdly cute thing for treats. She's really careful about it, too, making sure not to nip me.

https://i.imgur.com/khLYCiQ.mp4

Karia fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 20, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I can't speak for anyone else, and we probably took it way slower than was required, but we took probably like 2+ weeks slowly increasing feeding proximity then letting them slowly see each other more through a barrier; our last step was swapping their territory and letting them hang out near the divider

Even then there was still some weirdness at first until they worked it out. We were just extra cautious and wanted to make sure everyone was as comfortable as possible. Beyond that it took us a while to let them stay out alone by themselves over night

Edit: actually come to think of it, it might've been closer to 3? We knew it was time to give them access to each other more when they were chilling on opposite sides of the barrier and playing paws together, plus touching noses through the stick on screen door

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 20, 2024

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly if I was looking for a cat to be my cat's friend I wouldn't take one that was described as bullying another cat even a little bit. When I did the cat friend thing I specifically asked for a cat who is good with other cats and that's what they gave me.

Of course she's anxious as gently caress and terrified of humans but she was an excellent diplomat making friends with the resident cat and she does do her job of being a friend to wrestle with.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

Honestly if I was looking for a cat to be my cat's friend I wouldn't take one that was described as bullying another cat even a little bit. When I did the cat friend thing I specifically asked for a cat who is good with other cats and that's what they gave me.

Of course she's anxious as gently caress and terrified of humans but she was an excellent diplomat making friends with the resident cat and she does do her job of being a friend to wrestle with.

yeah, it was really stupid of me. the way they described it, it sounded like she just stole food, not that she would try and take out an eye. i was a little antsy about this rescue because of some past experiences a few years ago when i used to be in contact with one of their organizers for work, so I don’t know why i tried to go against my gut this time.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

VelociBacon posted:

I would treat this a little more seriously, are you able to get the cat in to be seen before Monday? Inflammation of the throat/airways can go bad very quickly in humans and I assume in cars as well. If this is truly inflammation of her larynx she might benefit from being in a humidified space like the bathroom with the shower on. Worth a shot! If she stops eating or drinking I would treat it as an emergency.

We took your advice and scheduled a sooner appointment for her to be seen (which we just got back from about half an hour ago). The vet said she looks otherwise healthy, and they took some xrays to make sure there wasn't anything going on that wasn't immediately visible (there wasn't). So for now, they have prescribed some medicine for her to take for a week, and should she not show improvement after then, they would like her to come back to be examined under sedation so they can take a better look.

Thanks for the suggestion!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

We took your advice and scheduled a sooner appointment for her to be seen (which we just got back from about half an hour ago). The vet said she looks otherwise healthy, and they took some xrays to make sure there wasn't anything going on that wasn't immediately visible (there wasn't). So for now, they have prescribed some medicine for her to take for a week, and should she not show improvement after then, they would like her to come back to be examined under sedation so they can take a better look.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey, sorry if it was a nothing visit but it's so much better than the alternative. I hope the medicine (oral steroid?) works and your cat is healthy again very soon!

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, sorry if it was a nothing visit but it's so much better than the alternative. I hope the medicine (oral steroid?) works and your cat is healthy again very soon!

Nah no worries. I'd rather eat the cost of a nothing visit than have it be something serious that could have been caught early.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Took my little grey dude to the vet today for an ultrasound after the vet heard a heart murmur a while back, but due to his fear of cat carriers I had to reschedule a couple of times but thankfully I got it done and the results came back all clear, so that was a relief. He's still all wobbly from the anesthesia though, I feel sorry for him. Hopefully some extra treats can smooth over this indignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Does anybody have advice for helping a cat adjust to, or hopefully recover from, idiopathic vestibular syndrome?

Our male cat, Wheatley, developed it a couple weeks ago, really freaked us out. We got him into the vet where he got a check up and a steroid shot to help with some ear inflammation that the vet thought might be the cause. He was doing fairly well until three days ago and now all his symptoms seem to be coming back. Google tells me that this normally take a couple weeks to resolve and we've now seen three vets who all say they can't really find anything wrong with him short of us going to a neuropathic specialist.
We've confined both cats to the main floor of the house and we're trying to encourage Wheatley to stay off the furniture. But my little man just wants to do cat stuff and he's getting very confused when he tries and then falls rear end over heels in the process.

I just want my little buddy to be okay :(