Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

You know that’s a good photo. It is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Are y'all adjusting contrast etc on these are is this pretty much what they look like out of camera?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

On my side that's what infra red looks like out of camera. If anything I bring the shadows up to show some more details.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

big black turnout posted:

Are y'all adjusting contrast etc on these are is this pretty much what they look like out of camera?

That’s what it looks like out of the camera, but I like to crush the blacks and shadows a bit more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

theHUNGERian posted:

My friend, please add or link your story.

These are from my trip to Nepal this time last year with my parents. I've been making a photobook for my mom for mother's day and finally scanning my last few rolls from the trip.

Kathmandu is cool. It's loud, dusty, crowded. In the tourist district we stay in, there are no street signs; easy to wander and get lost, which I did the first morning.

Next stop is Pokhara, which is close to Nayapul, the starting point of our trek and reason for going to Nepal. We are trekking to Annapurna Base Camp (with a small detour), which should take 8 days to get there. Annapurna Base Camp is 4,130 meters above sea level. For reference the Canadian Rockies cap out at just under 4,000 meters. Annapurna is 8,091 meters (the tenth highest mountain in the world!).

It's a little less smoggy in Pokhara and in the spring, it's a nice cool 30 degrees when we arrive.

The trek itself is not as hard as it seems. Although you're hiking 4-6 hours per day, the Annapurna range is dotted with little villages that now cater to the trekking industry. Teahouses offer refreshments and food and lodging, toilets and even wi-fi (for a small fee). Guides are mandatory now if you want to trek in Nepal, but you can even hire porters if you just feel like walking and not carrying anything. It's not as "wild" as I initially assumed.

Every day is waking up at 5 am, a quick breakfast at the teahouse, then trekking until around 2 pm. We're lucky with the weather; it's consistently sunny in the morning, with clouds and heavy rain rolling over the mountains around afternoon. The trails is stairs carved into the mountains; you are always climbing up or down. "Slowly, slowly" our guide mutters to me.

I've posted that last one before but it's my favourite picture from the trip so I had to include it :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 30, 2024

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

grilledcheese posted:

[cool stuff]

Very nice!

I have been training for Denali since 2018, had my first summit attempt last year, but got shut down at 16300 ft because of bad weather, so I will try again next year. I've read tons on mountaineering so when you mentioned Annapurna, it set of all sorts of alarm bells. Not sure I'll ever get to go there though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been taking a wilderness course with a dude that's done Denali, he said he had a fall on the ascent where he landed on his back and couldn't flip over to self arrest. Only a snow anchor stopped him from a rapid unplanned glissade a couple thousand feet back the way he came.

Main effect was to convince me I don't need to summit anything in winter. I'll be fine avoiding avalanche terrain in wide valleys.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sounds like he wasn't roped up with anyone. That's a paddlin'. Glad he survived though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012