Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Fortunately, my technical failings haven’t been too bad. Worst actual fail was a new corebox I designed, and it didn’t work out. I had to plug some blow tubes with dowels and eventually made good cores, but was embarrassing. I guess as a $ miss I used someone else’s quote for a major project. This was dumb and bad don’t ever do this. Had to get requoted, project cost went from 500k to 700k usd ish if I recall. Corporate never wanted to approve more money, and last I heard the hardware is still sitting in crates because no one wants to throw good money after bad, so half a mil of poo poo sitting in crates…..

Unfortunately my worst failings have been political, which means actually serious. I was bumped up in to being a project manager for the plant launch that had been going extremely poorly. Where I hosed up was thinking I could actually fix things and make it work. Far beyond my control, not for technical reasons. The whole brownfield plant was an underfunded bad idea, with so many corners cut it was round. But I thought since I was smart, if I worked hard and cared about fixing it, that I could fix it. I couldn’t and didn’t. Even got myself fired for a safety violation (right before layoffs…. ) by documenting a piss poor job being done at that process step.

STAY FROSTY friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

wemgo posted:

During a large meeting with our entire division, i stood up and voiced my opinion about the just-announced healthcare benefit cuts and their necessity considering the $300M quarterly profit announced earlier that day.

This was at my previous job.

Good job. The right move.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Good job. The right move.

And if not in a Union probably led to their eventual separation from the company.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
It was a coal mine. Non-union. So I was happy to leave regardless and am so much happier at my current job.

Me standing up empowered a bunch of other people to speak out and it became a thing. The GM called me into a private meeting specifically to tell me that my career was over and he’d see to it that i’d never got promoted. He also demanded i apologize, it was humiliating.

He got fired about a year later for [supposedly] falsifying safety records.