Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was thinking today that it's odd that air wargames are all extremely finickity and full of stuff to track - many have written orders, most involve meticulous tracking of heights, speeds, and ammunition. Are there many examples of "cinematic" style dogfighting games that're aiming to be quick and breezy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Before it became a bloated mess the X-Wing tabletop game was based on Wings of War, which is pretty good. It might be out of print though so finding a copy could be hard.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Blue Max is fun enough as board game style action but I truly can’t remember how complex it is.

Wings of War is great but miserably unavailable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Really? I saw loads of it in Australia a couple of weeks back.

Of course I also found expansions for West End Games' Star Wars game that went out of print in 1998 so maybe things are skewed there...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

I was thinking today that it's odd that air wargames are all extremely finickity and full of stuff to track - many have written orders, most involve meticulous tracking of heights, speeds, and ammunition. Are there many examples of "cinematic" style dogfighting games that're aiming to be quick and breezy?
Bag the Hun (by Too Fat Lardies, unsurprisingly) is hands down the best aerial combat game I've played. It does have altitude bands and ammo, but these are stupid easy to track. It also neatly avoids the problem that X-Wing and Wings of Glory have where both sides are plotting their movement blind (which forces you to guess what your opponent is doing and often ends up in you zigging left when they zag right and then spending like the next three turns maneuvering to get in another shot). Movement and firing order is randomly determined by card draw (which nicely represents those fleeting moments where an opportunity slips by you before you can seize it) and one of the coolest mechanics is the "tailing test," which if you can get into position and pass allows you to move when your opponent moves - greatly increasing your chances of being able to blast him.

It also has stuff for level-bombing, dive-bombing, strafing, and similar right in the basic rules (as opposed to a supplement like most other rule sets). I reviewed it for Goonhammer back in the day if your interest is piqued: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-review-bag-the-hun/

I just recently got it to the table for my regular gaming group, doing a quick scenario of Spitfires vs Bf-109s over the English Channel:

It's a ton of fun and once you get the hang of it plays pretty quickly. And like all Lardies games it does cinematic/narrative really well.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

They really should be paying you for all the great advertising you do for their games :v:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

Really? I saw loads of it in Australia a couple of weeks back.

You can very easily find Wings of Glory, the modern miniatures-sales-driven version by Ares games. The older simpler card-based version, Wings of War, was published in English by Fantasy Flight from 2004-2011 and is now out of print.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JonBolds posted:

You can very easily find Wings of Glory, the modern miniatures-sales-driven version by Ares games. The older simpler card-based version, Wings of War, was published in English by Fantasy Flight from 2004-2011 and is now out of print.
Ah, I have the WWII starter by FFG somewhere in storage and that came with miniatures so I assumed the Ares version was still using the cards for movement. They did have both on the shelves together anyway though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

tomdidiot posted:

They're sunk into a recess and I can't get under the magnet to snap hem off.

I have had luck with a 2mm micro-chisel and slowly cutting a narrow trench into the material in the side of the magnet and eventually getting underneath and levering it out. You'll have to rebuild the gap afterwards so this may or may not be practical.

I've re-aligned magnets from Titans I rescued from eBay in this way. However those do have well defined sockets with flat (and hidden) edges so a little damage will not be visible.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Endman posted:

They really should be paying you for all the great advertising you do for their games :v:
I know, right? I can't help it, though; their design vibe very much fits what I am generally looking for in games.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Studio Tomahawk's V for Victory is coming out in June and I cannot wait!

I love Muskets & Tomahawks, so this is a natural day one buy for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

3 Action Economist posted:

Studio Tomahawk's V for Victory is coming out in June and I cannot wait!

I love Muskets & Tomahawks, so this is a natural day one buy for me.

Oh hell yeah, that's exciting, however:

quote:

For those who don't know what V for Victory (which is pronounced "Five for Victory" if you ask) is [...]

This annoys me more than it rightfully should (I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for it)

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I asked those Frenchmen if this one would finally get a PDF release and all I got was a "no"

Le owned

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Count Thrashula posted:

This annoys me more than it rightfully should (I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for it)
It's because it should be pronounced "quīnque" :agesilaus:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Z the IVth posted:

I have had luck with a 2mm micro-chisel and slowly cutting a narrow trench into the material in the side of the magnet and eventually getting underneath and levering it out. You'll have to rebuild the gap afterwards so this may or may not be practical.

I've re-aligned magnets from Titans I rescued from eBay in this way. However those do have well defined sockets with flat (and hidden) edges so a little damage will not be visible.

Pin drill a hole next to the magnet. Then freeze the piece. Gently insert a dress makers pin into the hole and wiggle.
Freezing temps make super glue brittle.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

This is totally perplexing. Are they just loving with us?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They have never done PDFs because apparently PDF=piracy.

Never mind that other than Frostgrave, I think Saga is the most common wargame pdfs that I have seen floating around. Grogs gonna grog.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was really excited until the brief said it was a 30-a-side reinforced platoon WW2 game where you have missions with objectives. I love SAGA, but that sounds worryingly like every other WW2 28mm game in the universe.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Robert Facepalmer posted:

They have never done PDFs because apparently PDF=piracy.

Never mind that other than Frostgrave, I think Saga is the most common wargame pdfs that I have seen floating around. Grogs gonna grog.

The combo of No PDFs + never actually having rules consistently in stock has made my decision on Saga for me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

We're also still waiting on the 2022 FAQ lol

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Lumbermouth posted:

The combo of No PDFs + never actually having rules consistently in stock has made my decision on Saga for me.

Good thing boot PDFs don't seem to be hard to find. Hell, for a decent amount of time, Scribd had a copy that looked like it was made from the publishing document (crop marks, Distiller header and footer).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't think he advertised it very well, but Madox Minis/War Bear Studios/whatever he goes by just launched his Napoleon's Campagne de Russie kickstarter which includes something like 280 3d-printable 28mm mini STLs plus whatever stretch goals they hit, which looks like it's going to be most of them. If you like the Russian Campaign, this is AWESOME. I'm excited. It's only $63 all in for the early bird tier, so jump on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbearstudios/napoleons-campagne-de-russie-russian-campaign

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, they did not advertise it well as I love that guy's stuff and didn't know about it. I'm in for both forces!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

I don't think he advertised it very well, but Madox Minis/War Bear Studios/whatever he goes by just launched his Napoleon's Campagne de Russie kickstarter which includes something like 280 3d-printable 28mm mini STLs plus whatever stretch goals they hit, which looks like it's going to be most of them. If you like the Russian Campaign, this is AWESOME. I'm excited. It's only $63 all in for the early bird tier, so jump on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbearstudios/napoleons-campagne-de-russie-russian-campaign

Button counter twitch in my eye. They do look quick to paint though, which is a plus.

E: the French army looks, IMHO, much better suited for a 1813/14 campaign than Russia. There are some smaller issues that will not upset anyone but a very dyed in the wool French collector, but the uniforms are the "Bardin" 1812 regulation uniforms that were not worn by the troops marching into Russia. The differences, especially in the jacket design, is quite noticable.

As a generic, later 1st Empire army that doesn't take ages to paint? Probably a good option! As a Campaigne de Russie army? An unfortunate label.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 2, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's valid - I'm mosrly getting it for the Russians. I already have Piano Minis' (superior) pre-1812 French, so good to know I can safely stick with those.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

Button counter twitch in my eye.

Why is Napoleon crossing the Alps in Italy in Russia?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cessna posted:

Why is Napoleon crossing the Alps in Italy in Russia?

He crushed past Moscow and is working his way across the Urals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Button counter twitch in my eye. They do look quick to paint though, which is a plus.

E: the French army looks, IMHO, much better suited for a 1813/14 campaign than Russia. There are some smaller issues that will not upset anyone but a very dyed in the wool French collector, but the uniforms are the "Bardin" 1812 regulation uniforms that were not worn by the troops marching into Russia. The differences, especially in the jacket design, is quite noticable.

As a generic, later 1st Empire army that doesn't take ages to paint? Probably a good option! As a Campaigne de Russie army? An unfortunate label.

Yeah, I used to subscribe to his Patreon but the uniform inaccuracies that are never fixed seem to be becoming more and more frequent.