Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jumpsuit posted:

Jesus Christ. I thought I was going to get actual work done today, but instead one of my staff members has decided, on her last day before going on parental leave, to flip her poo poo over not being allowed to take her work laptop on leave with her. Turns out she had a sneaky plan to delay her computer upgrade until her final week, got a brand new Macbook Pro from IT and was planning on taking it home with her for the next year, which would leave her replacement with no device.

She then sent an enormous email to me, my director and HR claiming that it's discriminatory, that this "debacle" means she can no longer manage and track her payslips and employment paperwork (which....you can do on any non company device), and that she is entitled to keep it because..she's worked here long enough? I had to literally grab it and stuff it in my locker so she didn't steal it on the way out. Glad she did it all in writing, please enjoy your PIP when you return.

People management, not even once

Sundae posted:

As someone who has seen maternity leave layoffs and firings plenty of times now, I’m more amazed that she’d even risk the potential of being seen as “performing work duties” during her leave.

This was my confusion, though if they're not in the US laws are generally different to what I'm expecting. It definitely feels weird to insist that you need a new laptop to do payroll and whatnot, and more so that you feel you need one when you're on leave and specifically NOT supposed to be doing work.

I would be inclined to just let it go but the fact that it kind of dicks over another person is kind of a bigger issue.

E:

Barudak posted:

We are a fully Krompliant workplace so the only hiring question is the riddle of steel

This is actually somewhat more concerning coming from you than anyone else here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

If you put everybody on a pip, they can't fault you for putting the pregnant lady on a pip

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Corporate Megathread: Pregnancy Impaired Peons

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Forget this pip silliness, I allowed a mom to pursue other career opportunities the week after she came back from baby leave. Right before mother's day.

Massive layoffs, I was lucky I only had to lose one person that round. And I had all the numbers to back it up, she was by far the worst (before parental leave). Would have been massively unfair to cut anyone else.

It sounds to me like jumpsuit has an equipment budget, and only gets a new computer per employee every year or two, and she was trying to leave the replacement headcount with the old very obsolete laptop, unable to do work. I'm sure she could have taken her old one home? Unless they have a policy against taking work machines away on long leave.

Btw, the base model macbook pro is still $1600 (and goes up over 3K), I dunno why people are saying a couple hundred bucks? Y'all macbook fanboys have no idea how much they actually cost, do you?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tomfoolery posted:

If you put everybody on a pip, they can't fault you for putting the pregnant lady on a pip

when everyone is on a PIP, no one is on a PIP

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
OKR: meet conditions of PIP
PIP conditions: meet all OKRs

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Renegret posted:

Well the good part is that my posting can't get any worse

Come now. Have you thought about posting how no matter where you go, you're the life of the party and get free drinks and food everywhere because you're such a sparkling conversationalist?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Your posting can’t get any worse in absolute terms because I still post. What the gently caress is wrong with me (please don’t make this into a 5000 page megathread)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

https://youtu.be/lKfupO4ZzPs?si=ziGwPuCIHR7r39Do

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

<Picard>Computer, make a poster capable of posting worse than Renegret
<computer> :fart:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mllaneza posted:

<Picard>Computer, make a poster capable of posting worse than Renegret
<computer> :fart:

Data: Computer, make a poo poo poster terrible enough that even I would hate it, and disengage safety locks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Renegret posted:

^ the words of a goon that has not opened the door to cspam

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Volmarias posted:

Data: Computer, make a poo poo poster terrible enough that even I would hate it, and disengage safety locks.

You think this would end up with the poo poo poster trying to escape the Internet but in fact it would just be constantly trying to end itself.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

CancerCakes posted:

I'm interviewing today, can someone give me some interview questions that might actually give the candidate an opportunity to show their value, other than the poo poo ones I got from hr. Please?!

When was the last time you waterboarded someone on the executive board?

At what time during the waterboarding did you realize that no intel of value was to be had?

How did you dispose of the reorg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ONXuyvZrw

Can we make a video a thread title?