Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

That is, all else aside, perhaps the most incredible power move I have ever heard.

It would have been, except both of the reviews were very similar, I only gotten told my delivery times were slightly above the average. which may have something to do with the fact that my manager insists we park as far from the entrance of stores as possible, and then walk everything through parking lots. Or the fact when you go to a hotel shipping dock, it's not as simple as getting it out of your van and setting the package down. of course most people bypass all this by not following protocol as to when they arrive or depart,.so guess who's doing that now 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Alkydere posted:

So originally at Amazon yards, the transportation team handled check in/out.

Then someone had the brilliant idea to outsource all that work to call centers in India and make the guard posts "automated". This involved kicking the people who know the building/yard and what's going on out of the position to fix poo poo before some angry driver stops us in the yard. It also meant, at least with our building, the contract with our security contractors had to be expanded so that they sat in the box and made sure no one did anything especially stupid.

So security's expanded contract is up and we're back to having transportation people doze off in the guard shack.

Alkydere, these video guard shacks are the bane of my existence. I work at a 3PL that handles transportation for a non-inventory vendor for Amazon and the amount of times the video guard has declared that "there is no such thing as non-inventory" or sent a truck to a holding area and just abandoned them entirely is shocking.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hutla posted:

Alkydere, these video guard shacks are the bane of my existence. I work at a 3PL that handles transportation for a non-inventory vendor for Amazon and the amount of times the video guard has declared that "there is no such thing as non-inventory" or sent a truck to a holding area and just abandoned them entirely is shocking.

As a TOM team member, I ENTIRELY loving AGREE!

Just the other night I had a driver approach me because the trailer he backed up to had been marked as defective. Enters the number in front of me and his app goes "THIS IS DEFECTIVE! Get assistance?" I ask my boss what's going on because this trailer is on an outbound dock door: we tend to avoid putting defectives there as that means shipments are late when drivers reject them. Inbound? Yeah we want what's in that trailer so move it unless it looks like it's gonna kill someone. Outbound? We try to avoid loading up a trailer that can't leave the yard.

Anyways, boss tells me it needed new registration paperwork and that it was taken care of a few hours ago. I go over and check and sure enough: freshly printed paperwork in the drybox. I ask the driver for the phone since they've been arguing with person on the phone.

"Hey, I'm one of the yard workers here and I just checked the trailer. It's fine: it just needed new registration paperwork. It has new registration paperwork. It's been marked as fixed on our end. How do we get the system to stop being slow and update it so the driver can take the fixed trailer out?"

*Obviously memorized babbling about following proper procedures full of circular instructions obviously written by an Indian business major and translated to English*

The driver just started laughing as he watched me pull his phone away from my ear and stare at it like it had transformed into a snake in my hand. "She knows nothing." The driver tells me. "None of them know anything."

Anyways, about 30 minutes later the driver managed to somehow finagle himself into getting assigned an entirely un-hosed trailer and was smiling as I got stuck hooking up to the trailer to move it: outbound dock needed the door to load more shipments. Boss had to escalate twice more while I sat there to make the system register the defect had been fixed.

Edit 1:
I hear stories about the olden days before a couple years ago when we could manage everything ourselves. Now we can only do it in an emergency and which means we're not staffed or practiced for it but it's still better than letting someone on the literal other side of the world manage our yard.

Edit 2:
Also I don't know about your sites but at my normal sites the Non Inventory are guaranteed to be the worst maintained shitboxes that aren't Intermodals.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 30, 2024

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Got my review today.

"Exceeds expectations"

I immediately informed my manager I was considering applying for the open AM position at another location in the district.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Our company recently outsourced all of our inbound customer calls to call centers in the Philippines and someplace in South America, and considering that most of our customers expect us to actually know poo poo about gently caress, it hasn't gone terribly well. They can (mostly) manage to schedule appointments for us, but that is the extent of their abilities. Any questions (such as "are you open?" or "is my order delivered?") get immediately cold-transferred to our phone at the store, where we start from scratch because we have no clue who you are or what you were talking about with the call center.

Worth noting that such questions, such as order status, are listed in the app that both we and the call center folks use. But I get at least one call a day asking if an order that's marked "not received" is in, and if I could please verify. As soon as it's received at the store, it immediately changed the status to "Received" and emails the customer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So more information on the guardshack status at my Amazon FC yard.

The contract with our security company to extend their coverage to the guardshacks ended Monday because everything was supposed to be rolled out by then. It clearly hasn't been so they're not covering it. My manager talked with their managers and found out that as of NEXT Monday they might (might) be able to extend coverage to ONE of the two guard shacks. Maybe. Us trailer jockeys will have to cover the other one until the project finally finishes (if it ever does).

Everything is so absolutely stupid at times.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

Our company recently outsourced all of our inbound customer calls to call centers in the Philippines and someplace in South America, and considering that most of our customers expect us to actually know poo poo about gently caress, it hasn't gone terribly well. They can (mostly) manage to schedule appointments for us, but that is the extent of their abilities. Any questions (such as "are you open?" or "is my order delivered?") get immediately cold-transferred to our phone at the store, where we start from scratch because we have no clue who you are or what you were talking about with the call center.

Worth noting that such questions, such as order status, are listed in the app that both we and the call center folks use. But I get at least one call a day asking if an order that's marked "not received" is in, and if I could please verify. As soon as it's received at the store, it immediately changed the status to "Received" and emails the customer.

But just think, they can save 70% labor costs per person outsourcing. Think of the shareholders.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Cold transfers are the enemy of both the customer and the person at the end of them. They don't even benefit the person doing them that much. They must be destroyed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fil5000 posted:

Cold transfers are the enemy of both the customer and the person at the end of them. They don't even benefit the person doing them that much. They must be destroyed.

There is. benefit to the person doing the cold transfer. It makes the call someone else's problem.

Other than that, :hmmyes:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

There is. benefit to the person doing the cold transfer. It makes the call someone else's problem.

Other than that, :hmmyes:

When I worked in a call centre, one of my friends had to do a presentation to a small group about the challenges of working in a call centre. They started by throwing a can of coke to one of the other people in the group, having them introduce themselves and then throw it to another person. After the can had done the rounds of the ten or so people there she asked the last person to open the can. Naturally they didn't want to, and this served as a helpful metaphor for call transfers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fil5000 posted:

When I worked in a call centre, one of my friends had to do a presentation to a small group about the challenges of working in a call centre. They started by throwing a can of coke to one of the other people in the group, having them introduce themselves and then throw it to another person. After the can had done the rounds of the ten or so people there she asked the last person to open the can. Naturally they didn't want to, and this served as a helpful metaphor for call transfers.

that's fuckin' awesome

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fil5000 posted:

I'd take it to my boss, who has been present for none of this, and offer them a can of coke.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Coasterphreak posted:

I'd take it to my boss, who has been present for none of this, and offer them a can of coke.

And that's why you would be promoted

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fil5000 posted:

And that's why you would be promoted

I meant after I had caught it and refused to open it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

lmao

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I made a lot of bad transfers in my first six months of jockeying a phone for the IRS. Now that I'm trained in one of the applications for basic tax law, which doesn't have a direct line and requires a transfer, I have since learned about bullshit call transfers that could have been handled by the last person.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Coasterphreak posted:

I meant after I had caught it and refused to open it

No, I understood, I choose to assume it would be like when Bart used the paint mixer thing to shake up that can of Duff and it landed Homer in the hospital. You'd have ended your boss and therefore been handed his job.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
You keep what you kill

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To the person who ordered 125 60 pound bags of cement 20 minutes before the store closes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGAzMsTuA8

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They really need to put restrictions on the order system. I thought it was ridiculous that someone could make a big order at 6 pm to be picked up at 6 am the next day while I'm still trying to finish stuff that was ordered earlier but I don't think people should be allowed to order over 7.2k pounds of cement 20 minutes before store closing to be picked up THAT NIGHT. The guy didn't show up before we closed so I couldn't get a chance to laugh in his face over the order.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Customer last night apparently decided it would be funny to try and flush what looked like an entire meal's worth of food and a used sanitary towel down the disabled toilet and I've never wanted to psychically disembowel someone more.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Leal posted:

They really need to put restrictions on the order system. I thought it was ridiculous that someone could make a big order at 6 pm to be picked up at 6 am the next day while I'm still trying to finish stuff that was ordered earlier but I don't think people should be allowed to order over 7.2k pounds of cement 20 minutes before store closing to be picked up THAT NIGHT. The guy didn't show up before we closed so I couldn't get a chance to laugh in his face over the order.

Our order system gives us a minimum two hours(rounded up) from when it's ordered to when it must be packed. So if someone ordered at 5:10pm and we close at 6pm, open at 6am, it'd have a packing deadline of 8am, meaning that desperately hosed orders like that could be left for the morning crew.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
we have some stores that are closed weekends, but can still have orders input for first thing pickup Monday morning. always a treat there. you'd think the system would flag it or at least send it elsewhere to be run and then delivered asap Monday but...nope!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

If it’s a sales rep cold transfers are a huge benefit in that you get immediately to the next call/sales opportunity.

I am no longer in the call center, but I was very guilty of this. Although I did try to make sure the customer I was transferring knew what to ask for in terms of whatever they called about (“tell them you need to have a ticket filed to fix your promotion” or whatever).

Not perfect, but if I spent that much time every day warm transferring every call I would never hit numbers, so what can you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yesterday was payday and with the significantly higher hourly I was impressed with what I made for like 5 or 6 days of work. Well I seemed to have pissed someone off cause I only work 1 day next week and 2 days the following 2 weeks. I accept this job was part time but like.. a single day?

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2024