Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there a consensus on the best amp for apartments these days?

Yamaha thr10ii? Some sort of Katana? Anything else?

I primarily want decent tones and simplicity. And the ability to play along to music on my headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Xabi posted:

Is there a consensus on the best amp for apartments these days?

Yamaha thr10ii? Some sort of Katana? Anything else?

I primarily want decent tones and simplicity. And the ability to play along to music on my headphones.

The THR10 is great for this. You can play music through it via its USB connection (if you have it connected to a computer), or via the AUX port (3.5 mm). Having separate volume knobs for your guitar input and the USB/AUX input is very useful. Plus you can use it as an audio interface for recording or amp plugins - although I'm not sure how it stacks up if you compare it a standalone interface like a Focusrite Scarlett or whatever.

I'm still using a first gen model and have been very happy with it for apartment use. I think the sounds from it are pretty good on its own but I also run my pedalboard into it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For home use I now just run my NeuralDSP plugins into a cheap FRFR (full range, flat response, since the plugin is already doing the cab emulation) speaker. Sometimes I'll put my pedal board upfront, sometimes I'll use a MIDI foot controller to control the plugin's pedals. Is this blasphemy?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I use the thr10iiw and am very happy, although I'm pretty uninterested in chasing tones. I will absolutely recommend getting the wireless version for the Bluetooth connection. It's extremely handy to play music from your phone via Bluetooth, and it has doubled as a regular Bluetooth speaker on many occasions. I haven't felt the need to go wireless on the guitar, so I don't know if that is worth it.

I'm sure the katanas do equally well though, and they have a lot more options if you're into that poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yup. laptop with some usable powered speakers. Pedals into the interface. I get anything I want now, tone-wise, and it’s inexpensive or just outright free. Latency is <4ms without any cpu issues. loving crushes. In a way I’m almost disappointed that the weird lusting for more gear is gone.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

my home setup is a distortion pedal into a really old copy of revalver for the cab sim plus some reaper plugins for eq and compression

there's no right or wrong way

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

insane clown pussy posted:

my home setup is a distortion pedal into a really old copy of revalver for the cab sim plus some reaper plugins for eq and compression

there's no right or wrong way

Seriously, whatever gets you the sound you want it doesn't matter

All Amps Are Beautiful

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eh, I'll be contrary and say that the interface and computer setup is wrong for me personally. I don't really have a computer outside work, and I certainly don't want to spend time starting the whole thing up before I can play. I need something where I plug in the guitar, turn the power on and then noise comes out. It's all about what you want from the setup though, I totally get the computer setup, especially if it's your posting station that's always on anyway.

Also, an advantage to the thr10iiw and similar amps is the mobility. I can play Slayer in the garden or park or wherever (with headphones because I'm a coward), which is pretty good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BonHair posted:

Eh, I'll be contrary and say that the interface and computer setup is wrong for me personally. I don't really have a computer outside work, and I certainly don't want to spend time starting the whole thing up before I can play. I need something where I plug in the guitar, turn the power on and then noise comes out. It's all about what you want from the setup though, I totally get the computer setup, especially if it's your posting station that's always on anyway.

Also, an advantage to the thr10iiw and similar amps is the mobility. I can play Slayer in the garden or park or wherever (with headphones because I'm a coward), which is pretty good.

A committed phoneposter. I can respect that.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Splinter posted:

For home use I now just run my NeuralDSP plugins into a cheap FRFR (full range, flat response, since the plugin is already doing the cab emulation) speaker. Sometimes I'll put my pedal board upfront, sometimes I'll use a MIDI foot controller to control the plugin's pedals. Is this blasphemy?

Yes. Report for your ritual public flogging tomorrow morning at dawn, you filthy heretic.

I have a cheapo tube amp for the novelty but most of the time I play through an HX Stomp XL or the Helix plugin. Owns bones. My favorite part is getting killer new pedals and amps for free every few months, like, incredibly consistently - it recently got a feedbacker, the last pedal I was gasing for.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Tonex One showed up today. It sounds good and DIY machine learning modelling is extremely cool, but dealing with an extra app can be a hassle and I can see people preferring the more self-contained IR-2 or HX Stomp over this.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

What is it, exactly? You set up the model on your computer and load it into the pedal? Doesn't seem to much in the way of controls on the actual pedal.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

AndrewP posted:

What is it, exactly? You set up the model on your computer and load it into the pedal? Doesn't seem to much in the way of controls on the actual pedal.

Yeah and you can load presets other people have recorded and mess with them on the app.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Remember the iStomp? The one that ended up being completely unusable after an iOs update? It's that but on the block chain.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Armacham posted:

Yeah and you can load presets other people have recorded and mess with them on the app.

so its a daw with a footswitch or am i misunderstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

so its a daw with a footswitch or am i misunderstanding

It runs models of amps and stuff taken by other Tonex users specifically, not just like any VST. This is basically a mini version of the Tonex pedal I think, you hook it up to your signal chain* and it makes a model of that specific setup and then it can simulate that exact setup later. This is as opposed to something like the Helix where the company designs simulations of each pedal/amp by hand, and it simulates all the knobs and parameters and stuff. Like with Tonex you can simulate specifically That Rockstar's Exact Signal Chain very precisely, but you can't e.g. swap a tube screamer for a RAT in your simulated chain to see how it sounds, you'd need to go find a new model or make one with real equipment.

*: non-modulation pedals only