Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Holy poo poo he was actually there??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao the look on his face is killing me

That's "can you believe how much money I'm worth despite being an idiot?"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1786216247044043169#m

Can Tim's lawyers get twelve Southern Floridians to understand the Internet?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Do you have a caption for those of us without Twitter?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

Do you have a caption for those of us without Twitter?

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 4, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's "can you believe how much money I'm worth despite being an idiot?"

One of his jobs is something like 'Chief Monetisation Officer' at Spotify, so I am fully convinced it was his idea to withhold royalties from songs with low streaming numbers, solely so he could give House From DC another podcast

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't even remember what the Tim Burke thing was about, was it that he was alleged to have 'hacked' into a site and stolen a video?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't even remember what the Tim Burke thing was about, was it that he was alleged to have 'hacked' into a site and stolen a video?

He found FoxNews satellite feeds from commercial time on an unencrypted site and published them, is the best I can figure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

He found FoxNews satellite feeds from commercial time on an unencrypted site and published them, is the best I can figure.

My memory is that a local Fox affiliate had left a link and their credentials on a site for local users just to log in to at their own perusal. And then Burke was able to save some raw satellite feed of things they didn’t want out there, including Tucker Carlson’s Kanye interview I think.

In any case to use a metaphor it’s not lock picking, it’s finding the small text in the local newspaper that “the combo for the lock is 5-15-40” and then when you go inside you see things you shouldn’t and take video and share that.

Defector of course has a good summary: https://defector.com/tim-burkes-indictment-is-a-political-choice-disguised-as-a-legal-act

quote:

But the basic narrative is as follows: In 2022, a Twitter user whom the indictment calls "CONSPIRATOR 2"—Burke says he doesn’t know that person’s identity—DMed him two sets of login credentials. One set was for the file transfer protocol server of an unidentified sports league, and the other was for a back-end streaming platform used by broadcasters that the indictment refers to as "Network #1" and "Network #2"—one of which, for reasons that will soon become apparent, is Fox News. These credentials gave Burke access to feeds of the broadcasters' cameras, even if they weren’t on air. Over a few months, Burke downloaded a handful of clips that he “disclosed” in various formats, all without the express written consent of Rupert Murdoch.

The crux of the legal dispute here is what, exactly, makes access to a computer “unauthorized.” Burke says his streaming login was not pilfered from Fox News, but instead came from the public website of a Tennessee radio station, which willingly posted its credentials for its listeners’ convenience. And when Burke entered the username and password in the little box, the service generated a list not only of that station’s feeds, but also the feeds of the streaming service’s other customers, including Fox News. From there, he only had to click a link; all the feeds, Burke says, came in the form of unencrypted URLs that anyone with a browser could freely access, as long as they knew what to type in the navigation bar.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sounds like what he did was probably technically illegal somehow but there was also less than zero actual need for an indictment or prosecution. Kinda like jaywalking on a deserted street at 4 AM.