Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's no issue with using HDMI and DP simultaneously in my experience, i'm currently using a HDMI 2.1 primary with a DP 1.4 secondary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm also reading people reporting less HDR flicker using HDMI 2.1 and I think it might have to do with this:

quote:

HDMI 2.1 introduced dynamic HDR support, allowing for dynamic adjustments in HDR settings scene by scene. On the other hand, DisplayPort 1.4 supports static HDR, which provides a fixed HDR setting throughout the content.

I got a cable matters 3 pack of hdmi 2.1 cables a while ago if I still got a cable left, I'll use that and save the few bucks. Thanks for the input.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

there's no issue with using HDMI and DP simultaneously in my experience, i'm currently using a HDMI 2.1 primary with a DP 1.4 secondary

Same but reversed, and I simeltaneously hook my PC up to the living room TV for movie nights without issue. Never noticed any problems across any display

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How do firmware updates work on these new monitors? Is it like TVs where you plug in a USB stick with firmware loaded on to it or you connect the monitor to the PC using an USB cable?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Housh posted:

How do firmware updates work on these new monitors? Is it like TVs where you plug in a USB stick with firmware loaded on to it or you connect the monitor to the PC using an USB cable?
The AW325QF I have you use your PC connected through USB. It also has an app that attempts to mimic the OSD settings, but it's very bad.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 4, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
No you download the firmware to your pc and it magically goes across the HDMI.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rusty posted:

The AW325QF I have you use your PC connected through USB. It also has an app that attempts to mimic the OSD settings, but it's very bad.

I love the Dell Display manager app, I have swap inputs set to a hot key and I can change the brightness without moving my center speaker every time I need to fiddle with the nub.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

runaway dog posted:

I love the Dell Display manager app, I have swap inputs set to a hot key and I can change the brightness without moving my center speaker every time I need to fiddle with the nub.
The main issue is that if I have the app installed it turns on the monitor lights randomly and the power button always off setting no longer works. It also for some reason started making my logitech mouse light up which is baffling.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Look at the LG 32GR93U-B (rtings review). Seems like a pretty solid IPS panel that's reasonably calibrated and performs well. The upgrade options would be the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 for its local dimming (though it's curved and expect more quality control issues from Samsung) and then above that, the new QD-OLEDs. Otherwise the LG 32GR93U is about on par with or slightly better than the Gigabyte M32U, another popular goon option, but the LG monitor is a bit cheaper these days.

The Dell G3223Q (rtings review) is another solid choice with better out-of-the-box calibration, though it has slightly worse response times (leading to slightly blurrier motion) and somewhat worse input lag at 60hz (which is what the Switch will be at). I think these differences are all splitting hairs for the most part.

There's also the MSI MAG 323UPF as the "budget" option at $500. It doesn't have a review at rtings, but TFT Central reviewed it, and found it has poor out of the box accuracy for SDR content (all switch games and almost all web content) and doesn't have any way to correct this monitor-side, so it's pretty difficult to recommend.

the first three seem to be very good choices but unfortunately they would take a while to get here and i need them asap. :( i ended up going with a asus XG32UQ which is arriving today and a little bit more expensive then what i paid for with the odyssey. i figure that if i’m not happy with the asus i’ll go with the LG or gigabyte and just hold on to the asus until they arrive.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rusty posted:

The main issue is that if I have the app installed it turns on the monitor lights randomly and the power button always off setting no longer works. It also for some reason started making my logitech mouse light up which is baffling.

Are we talking about the Dell manager app or the Alienware command center?

Admittedly I haven't had the qf that long, but I haven't experienced what you mentioned yet with the dell app, and I never experienced it in the year of using it with the aw3423dwf. I haven't ever used the Alienware app so if we're talking about that then my bad. the mouse light thing is a head scratcher though

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Dell has all the lighting settings, I never installed the other app. Once I uninstalled it the lighting works perfect again, so idk. It's been a bad experience with that app all around.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 4, 2024

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

also i just wanted to add about my samsung odyssey experience: holy poo poo i underestimated what “smart gaming hub” meant and was really annoyed by it. i thought it was neat that my monitor was kind of like a mini tv but quickly got over it since a lot of the “smart” features were really inconveniences. i thought the auto input switch would be really helpful in going between pc and switch but it turned out to be a huge hassle in getting it to even recognize my pc through DP. plus the home screen with the apps preloaded on it felt like overkill - if i wanted to listen to spotify, i could just play it on my pc or phone through better speakers. why do i need it on my monitor????

i felt like a old person as i kept getting angrier and angrier with the smart hub lmao

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Rusty posted:

It also for some reason started making my logitech mouse light up which is baffling.

Holy poo poo. I had been wondering why my gpro wireless randomly lights up lately. Sure enough it only happens when using the one laptop which has dell display manager installed. I only installed it when I got a new monitor so I could update the firmware. I had previously never seen the lights. I haven't ever used any of the Logitech software except onboard memory manager to set dpi a year ago then never again.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

question: what are the chances that this is the result of a lovely DP cable and not because of the monitor or the gpu/port? my other monitor is fine and doesn’t have this flickering problem.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Looks like the GPU to me. If you swap the ports the monitors are plugged into what happens?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1787416416947204368

Not great that the "we'll fix it after launch" mindset is spreading to monitors and not just with MSI, the alienwares have had this issue

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

novamute posted:

Looks like the GPU to me. If you swap the ports the monitors are plugged into what happens?

both of them work fine, which is weird. there might be some slight flickering issue when i switch it but it happens so fast when i'm not paying attention i'm not sure if it's the error or if i'm just seeing something out of the corner of my eye.

i did manage to get the issue to stop by dropping the refresh rate to 60hz which points it to a cable thing, but i wonder if maybe that particular port got slightly damaged when the cooling for my PC failed and i didn't notice for a while.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Possibly try adjusting all the available cables if you can, plus unplugging the monitor for 20 seconds before plugging it back in. I remember having a pretty bad issue with my monitor flickering before crashing my PC entirely for a while, until I did that. I can't guarantee that's your issue, but it might not hurt to try.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1787416416947204368

Not great that the "we'll fix it after launch" mindset is spreading to monitors and not just with MSI, the alienwares have had this issue

One the one hand, yes. On the other, OLED isn't a mature technology, and updates are a lot better than the early VRR LCD "lol you got the wrong monitor or firmware revision? RIP, throw your inferior garbage monitor in the trash."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

that said, MSI has an almost identical model that's $50 cheaper and cannot receive firmware updates, so if you bought that one you are in the "RIP, throw your inferior garbage monitor in the trash" camp. Or you can try to get it exchanged. Or just live with the lack of updates because it's still a good monitor.