Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

If you're dry brining, you shouldn't need to add more salt. Assuming you salted liberally for the dry brine to begin with.

I usually take brisket closer to 205F, but as long as it's probe tender, 195-205 is fine.

Main thing is plan more time - you can always wrap and rest for later in a cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

So for the first time since last May, we are finally in a house again and my smoker is out of storage. We made a Costco run today and I picked up a 6.5lb brisket to try for tomorrow. I've only ever done pork shoulder, chicken, beef shoulder, or ribs before so did not want to try a whole brisket for the first time.

I've got it in the fridge dry brining right now and plan to just do a simple salt and pepper rub tomorrow. From what I've read, I should budget about 1.5hr/lb and get it to around 195-200*F.

Anyone have any other tips or tricks to pass along, I would appreciate it

I'd anticipate it take 14 hours rather than 10. You can always crutch if it runs hot and it's better than eating dinner at 11pm(as lots of us have).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think this is done now it hasn't been 24 hours but it's fine. Reading some of the history books and other sources and there are large ranges in smoking, some keep it going for days, others 12 hours, then hang the things up to dry for months.

Tastewise I am pretty satisfied, it tastes like ham. I wanna get it cooled down now and have another taste test. I think I should get it sliced and vacuum packed, probably keep best that way. Unsure if it should or can be kept frozen. It's a kilo of ham after all.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Found someone on facebook marketplace letting go a gently used Traeger Ironwood 650 for $375. Anything I should be checking on it from those with experience with the unit?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

In a similar vein, anybody have any recommendations for a little starter smoker? Is there anything decent down in the line 200 dollar range?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Relentless posted:

In a similar vein, anybody have any recommendations for a little starter smoker? Is there anything decent down in the line 200 dollar range?

Masterbuilt electric 30. It aint perfect, but it fits the budget and works well enough. If you go that route, i recommend getting a smoke tube to get more smoke without having to refill the chil tray every hour.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Relentless posted:

Weber kettle with the snake method and a water pan works well

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I'll second the kettle. I've got a 22 and can smoke pretty much anything I'd like on it AND have the benefit on grilling, too.

Snake method or Slow n Sear both turn out great results!

Edit: I've tried pellet smoker a couple of times and neither times got anywhere the smokiness I get with the kettle.

On The Internet fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 2, 2024

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Relentless posted:

As zombie said the MES30/40 (Masterbuilt electric) with tube/tray is best starter smoker on the market. You'll be making quality smoked food right away without spending ages learning techniques and your gear's quirks in getting temperature stability.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have the MES30, and I like it. It took a little bit to learn what it actually could do vs advertised (ie, there's not enough airflow for a pellet tube, it has a max closer to 250 instead of 275) but I use it all the time.
If corncobs are on sale, I'm smoking corncobs.

E:rememvber the buy the legs, sold seperately. And a cover.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 2, 2024

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did a whole pork shoulder with an empty water pan at 275 F, masterbilt electric. Wish I had put a little bit of water in there. The liquid in it was pure fat, I was hoping to get some meat juice in it to incorporate back in at shredding time. I think all the meat juice evaporated. I ended up adding water straight into the pan and stirring it up a little bit and using that. Surprising bc the no water thing has worked well for me other times. Also ended up a little salty. A lot of rub salt is down in the bottom I think.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-chimney-starters-8623859

serious eats compared chimney starters for anyone interested

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

RisqueBarber posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-chimney-starters-8623859

serious eats compared chimney starters for anyone interested

interesting read, ty

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I was going to say that my $25 Weber chimney has been up to anything I've ever thrown at it short of a windstorm or my own impatience, but then I saw that it won

so yay, I already have "the good one"

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I was going to say that my $25 Weber chimney has been up to anything I've ever thrown at it short of a windstorm or my own impatience, but then I saw that it won

so yay, I already have "the good one"

Finally, the Weber name on the side pays off! I definitely got mine because I am a savvy consumer, and not at all because they were sitting next to the grills when I bought mine and I'm lazy.

Chimney starters are one of those things that I understand on a conceptual level, and are obviously very simple, but feel like magic every time I use them. Really great for starting kindling/small logs for a firepit, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Well. That settles that.

Thank you all!