Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looks like you might be stuck with the real thing. I checked the Chinese knockoff brands I've used and none of them have a HB-103 copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Really debated filing an insurance claim for the lens hood. Not sure it's worth the hassle and premium jump for $66. Thanks for checking!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just bought a knockoff hood for a canon lens (because gently caress paying $90 for a piece of plastic) and it’s 90% the same. Fits a little too tight when reversing but otherwise great and only cost $10.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I'm looking at getting a handheld lightmeter. The Sekonic L-408 seems great because its a relatively inexpensive meter with spot, and incident metering. I've heard that 1 degree spot meters are usually the best but this sekonic is 5 degrees. Would this make that big of a difference for me? I'll mostly be using it for 6x12 panorama shooting with a 65mm lens.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
does anyone have experience taking pictures and video of CRTs? Mostly it's just a matter of shutter speed vs refresh rate plus all the other usual nonsense.

I've been using an iPhone with various software (Moment, DSLRCam) to do this but I am thinking of getting some kind of actual DSLR for this (I have an ancient Canon Rebel somewhere but it's like 12mp and has some mechanical issues.)

I'm looking for suggestions, for, basically, the cheapest used thing that probably solves this pretty well. Actual composite analog video on a CRT maxes out at 1080 interlaced (requires a nicer CRT than I currently have, but, trying to be future proof). Also ideally I want something with USB webcam operability so that this could be used to send the same information in realtime to OBS or whatever. Additionally, CRT artifacting does weird stuff which is well beyond the usual resolution of the screen, so I do need a resolution which comfortably exceeds 1080, and also shutter speeds that can deal with/exceed a 59-60hz refresh.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Cabbages and Kings posted:

does anyone have experience taking pictures and video of CRTs? Mostly it's just a matter of shutter speed vs refresh rate plus all the other usual nonsense.

I've been using an iPhone with various software (Moment, DSLRCam) to do this but I am thinking of getting some kind of actual DSLR for this (I have an ancient Canon Rebel somewhere but it's like 12mp and has some mechanical issues.)

I'm looking for suggestions, for, basically, the cheapest used thing that probably solves this pretty well. Actual composite analog video on a CRT maxes out at 1080 interlaced (requires a nicer CRT than I currently have, but, trying to be future proof). Also ideally I want something with USB webcam operability so that this could be used to send the same information in realtime to OBS or whatever. Additionally, CRT artifacting does weird stuff which is well beyond the usual resolution of the screen, so I do need a resolution which comfortably exceeds 1080, and also shutter speeds that can deal with/exceed a 59-60hz refresh.

You are gonna have lots of issues depending on your use case

moire etc

What is the video signal to the CRT device, why not use an RF/composite video capture device?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I'm looking at getting a handheld lightmeter. The Sekonic L-408 seems great because its a relatively inexpensive meter with spot, and incident metering. I've heard that 1 degree spot meters are usually the best but this sekonic is 5 degrees. Would this make that big of a difference for me? I'll mostly be using it for 6x12 panorama shooting with a 65mm lens.

I have a 1 - 5 degree zoom and I am using it on the 1 degree setting >95% of the time, so I would argue get something that can go down to 1 degree.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Currently looking to get a bag to lug all my camera gear on flights/busses.

The current two I'm looking at are:
https://www.nomatic.com/products/mckinnon-camera-backpack-25l?variant=39461865717832
https://brevite.co/products/the-brevite-backpack?variant=34952238891162&=undefined

Curious if there are any other bags in roughly the realm/size/features. of these two that I should be looking at.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

huhu posted:

Currently looking to get a bag to lug all my camera gear on flights/busses.

The current two I'm looking at are:
https://www.nomatic.com/products/mckinnon-camera-backpack-25l?variant=39461865717832
https://brevite.co/products/the-brevite-backpack?variant=34952238891162&=undefined

Curious if there are any other bags in roughly the realm/size/features. of these two that I should be looking at.

I would say the Shimoda Explore V2, Summit Creative Tenzing (I personally just got this bag, still wanting some real world use before I report back here), and Holdland backpack are among my top picks when I was looking for a bag. Ended up with the Summit Creative on local marketplace - basically new for $200. Too good of a deal to pass up; otherwise the 35L Shimoda was what I was going to get.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Shimoda Urban line is almost out and definitely worth a look too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

jarlywarly posted:

What is the video signal to the CRT device, why not use an RF/composite video capture device?

signal can originate as anything from 480i composite up to 1080p30 component. I've got a BlackMagic 4K capture card, capturing rendered video stream isn't the concern.

Things display fundamentally differently on a CRT than on anything else, and photos of CRTs are often interesting in ways that a simple capture isn't; some of the things you're describing as problems are part of my use case :)

My avatar is the result of a BlackMagic capture of a feedback loop. The actual rendered image on the CRT at that point had a whole ton going on that was not in the stream, and I have seen some really interesting stills and videos made from CRT captures. Everyone in that world is mostly cobbling together their own weird setups from bits of wire and sticks and poo poo.

Maybe I'll just get an EOS 60D as an upgrade to the ancient Rebel I've already got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

I just bought a knockoff hood for a canon lens (because gently caress paying $90 for a piece of plastic) and it’s 90% the same. Fits a little too tight when reversing but otherwise great and only cost $10.

I come from the far off realm of the 3d printing thread to point out this is a perfect use case:

https://cults3d.com/en/tags/lens+hood