Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

von Metternich posted:

Read some stuff!

Two Iron Hands books by David Guymer-Extremely cool and grimdark Vibes, I had very little clue what was actually going on plotwise for a good chunk of it. But I could tell that the Iron Hands are all hosed up. Bonus points for introducing space marines that absolutely hate being space marines.

Wrath of Iron by Wraight-Extremely cool. I love when Imperial factions clash, and the idea of a Guard general basically going on strike in a warzone to protest their treatment by the Iron Hands is really cool. Also some very good tunnel fighting setpieces.

I really hope that Guymer gets to write a third, I love Stronos and Jalenghaal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really hope that Guymer gets to write a third, I love Stronos and Jalenghaal

If Games Workshop gets any worse at finishing trilogies we’d have to change their name to Valve.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

von Metternich posted:

If Games Workshop gets any worse at finishing trilogies we’d have to change their name to Valve.

Yeah, I read the Horusian Wars "trilogy" and it's two books that set up a bunch of something and then a short story collection that all takes place prior to the events of the second book.

John French is really not a good author. He's not terrible but I'd rank him below Guy Haley and even below Graham McNeil.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kylaer posted:

Yeah, I read the Horusian Wars "trilogy" and it's two books that set up a bunch of something and then a short story collection that all takes place prior to the events of the second book.

John French is really not a good author. He's not terrible but I'd rank him below Guy Haley and even below Graham McNeil.

BL writers tier list when?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kylaer posted:

John French is really not a good author.
true but harsh

Kylaer posted:

He's not terrible but I'd rank him below Guy Haley
probably true

Kylaer posted:

and even below Graham McNeil.
:drat:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Kylaer posted:

even below Graham McNeil.

je telephone a la guerriers de fer

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kylaer posted:

Some of his stuff is bad but I did like the horusian wars books quite a bit. I'm a sucker for inquisitors though

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Angry Lobster posted:

BL writers tier list when?

I am author Guy Haley. My imperfection is my dialogue.

I am John French. My imperfection is manifold. Especially the fact that I don't understand punctuation other than commas and periods. And write very short sentences.

I am Aaron Dembski-Bowden of Northern Ireland. My imperfection is my name alone.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I am Dan Abnett, and there is no other; I am Dan Abnett, and there is none like me. I make known the end and the death, from Eisenhorn, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will abuse the thesaurus all that I please.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I am C. S. Goto, and I did not write this.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

C.S Goto posted:

I am C. S. Goto, and I did not write this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I am Ian Watson, and I was the first.

I am Gav Thorpe, and I got away with things because a'm of the old guard.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am Nick Kyme, the chaos lord of nepotism.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Renegades: Lords of Excess badly needs a rework. There's something here but the plot loving meanders back and forth in the 2nd half so climaxes aren't climaxes and things just happen.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I am the late Sir Terry Pratchett. I am the amazingness which could have happened if GW had offered a better contract.

OPAONI posted:

so climaxes aren't climaxes and things just happen.

Expected Slaanesh and got Tzeench, sounds like :thunkin:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Ian Watson." The two words (vocalized seconds ago, the confused grumbling of a dying confessional) still dimly resound, now only an imperceptible echo.

What words! A fathomless reservoir of perfumed obscenity and debased spectacle compressed into four meager syllables!

The dying marine succumbs. Oversized muscles relax, and gasses noisily escape his anus to punctuate his final spoken words.

Biff laughs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I am Nick Kyme, the chaos lord of nepotism.

Granted, probably an apt one for Gav as well.

I am Charles Stross, I invented the gith and wrote for GW before finding better things to do.

I am Sandy Mitchell, my palms tingle as I wrote this and things never turned out the way they did.

I am Matthew Farrer, GW should have let me write more for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I's is Max Brooks an' I is ded 'ard

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I am Josh Reynolds. I cared too much.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OPAONI posted:

Renegades: Lords of Excess badly needs a rework. There's something here but the plot loving meanders back and forth in the 2nd half so climaxes aren't climaxes and things just happen.

Your saying the Emperor's Children book edges you? Huh who would have thought.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Kylaer posted:

I am the late Sir Terry Pratchett. I am the amazingness which could have happened if GW had offered a better contract.

Have you read Alec Worley's The Wraithbone Phoenix?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I am Graham McNeill. I got paid for writing about shoving a metal pear up Fulgrim's rear end.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I am Peter Fehervari and I am dead. I greet you from the door-frame when you come home from the temple, and your pious children hug you through my mud-stained shins. I greet you during your frantic morning ablutions, and the blood that drips from my shattered mouth mixes with the denticlarium from yours in a pink swirl on the blessed ceramik. I greet you in the Great Hall of Saint Holger as you are raised to the hallowed rank of Third Abbot Minoris, your eighth promotion in eight years, and the Abbot Majoris does not notice the sharpening of your teeth nor the rumbling of your stomach that no luncheon will quiet, but I see and I hear and I rejoice and clap with my single remaining arm. I greet you as my ward and younger brother in the Path, and I wait for you in the hidden little chapel under the Temple's roof, where the splinters from your children's spines glint shinier than any jewel from their settings in the sides of the blessed chalice, and where the Arbites' mallet finally make you as broken as I am.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

FPyat posted:

Have you read Alec Worley's The Wraithbone Phoenix?

I haven't, but if it's good I'll add it to my list.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I've never before or since read a book that felt so much like it was a Discworld installment.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The audio drama that introduced the characters was pretty solid from my memory and I've had that book on my wishlist for ages now. Just a lot of other books that take precedence over it whenever i buy a couple.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

FPyat posted:

I've never before or since read a book that felt so much like it was a Discworld installment.

:tipshat: I'll add it to my list, thanks. I have read a whole lot of Black Library books and short stories this year and there's still more to go. I need to write up an effortpost about all the various content, because some of it I haven't seen discussed much or at all. One thing I want to point out early though is that Rhuairidh James is an author to watch closely. So far he's only written two short stories, Da Gobbo Rides Again and The Sum of Its Parts, but they are both absolutely superb. Gobbo Rides Again is the third installment about Da Red Gobbo, a mythic figure among grots who is dedicated to bringing about Da Revolushun and throwing off the chains of their Ork enslavers. (As an aside, the first Red Gobbo story, Da Gobbo's Revenge, was by Mike Brooks and it's also superb, and the second, Da Gobbo's Demise, was by Denny Flowers and it's okay, got some clever moments but doesn't measure up to the other two). The Sum of Its Parts is a story about a Leman Russ tank that sees action in many different warzones, and I'm not sure how to best describe it, but the angle James takes with it is really brilliant. I hope he gets the chance to write more shorts, and hopefully full-length stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kylaer posted:

I haven't, but if it's good I'll add it to my list.

The audiobook has some really fun voicework for the imperial propaganda interludes throughout the book

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I am Peter Fehervari and I am dead. I greet you from the door-frame when you come home from the temple, and your pious children hug you through my mud-stained shins. I greet you during your frantic morning ablutions, and the blood that drips from my shattered mouth mixes with the denticlarium from yours in a pink swirl on the blessed ceramik. I greet you in the Great Hall of Saint Holger as you are raised to the hallowed rank of Third Abbot Minoris, your eighth promotion in eight years, and the Abbot Majoris does not notice the sharpening of your teeth nor the rumbling of your stomach that no luncheon will quiet, but I see and I hear and I rejoice and clap with my single remaining arm. I greet you as my ward and younger brother in the Path, and I wait for you in the hidden little chapel under the Temple's roof, where the splinters from your children's spines glint shinier than any jewel from their settings in the sides of the blessed chalice, and where the Arbites' mallet finally make you as broken as I am.

This was amazing. Please submit something to the next open submission window.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kylaer posted:

I liked the bit in Son of the Forest where a character quotes him and attributes it to an ancient Terran sage. I thought it was a nice nod and it worked in context.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/28/sunday-preview-white-dwarf-500-and-legions-imperialis-hardware/

You want some new books? Of course ya do.

But next weekend is pretty meagre however, the only (english language) release is the paperback version of Ciaphas Cain: Vainglorious by Sandy Mitchell.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are we due for another Cain omnibus soon?

Azubah fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not for a while, the last major novel was Choose your Enemies.

And they came out with an anthology collecting a bunch of short stories last year.