Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Cacafuego posted:

Question for you international road warriors - next year, we’re flying NBO-DOH on Qatar in business class, coming in at night (~2300), then flying out in the morning DOH-PHL on AA in business. I had planned on getting a hotel room for the night as they have one in DOH, but how does that work with customs and such? Would we collect luggage in DOH, go through customs/immigration, check in at the hotel, then come back in the morning and go through security? Or is the hotel airside behind security?

I’ve also seen some people mention staying overnight in “sleeping rooms” in the lounges, which I assume we’d have access to on business class flights (I’m also a one world emerald if that matters). So, if the hotel thing doesn’t work outs maybe we’ll try that.

What time is the DOH-PHL flight? Leaving the airport to go to your hotel and back sounds less than ideal, especially if you want to maximize sleep.

I would try to stay airside at the airport, and have your bags checked all the way through from NBO to PHL.

For airside sleeping options, you can try seeing if you can upgrade to Al Safwa First Class lounge (I think it's about $150 per person) which has a "sleeping room", make sure to confirm availability before purchasing access. They're not really sleeping rooms, they're basically mini hotel rooms with ensuite bathrooms.

There's sleeping chairs in the Al Mourjan Business Class lounge, but these usually get filled and are not that comfortable. The Al Mourjan Garden lounge also has the same sleeping chair but in separate private rooms. These are all first come first served.

Note that access to both of these is based on flying Business, but I'm not sure if AA business qualifies the same way QR business does. Certainly since your incoming is with QR you can probably claim that you flew QR biz and the AA biz is a codeshare or connection or something.

There's lastly the Oryx Hotel that's airside but is usually quite expensive: like $300+ for a room and they often sell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

There's lastly the Oryx Hotel that's airside but is usually quite expensive: like $300+ for a room and they often sell out.

NBO-DOH arrives 2315 and DOH-PHL departs 0845. I was planning on staying airside and paying for the Oryx. We don’t mind paying $300 (currently $308) since we’re spending less than that for round trip business class flights.

That’s the big question though - since they’re not linked and on different airlines, I assume we’d need to pick up our bags, clear customs, then some how get airside again to stay at the hotel. Would AA be available after midnight to checkout bags for a morning flight?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife, toddler, and I are flying steerage on a United/Lufthansa flight via Munich. Does Lufthansa have a process for upgrades at a "reasonable" price? Is there a way to be more/less likely to get an offer?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Cacafuego posted:

That’s the big question though - since they’re not linked and on different airlines, I assume we’d need to pick up our bags, clear customs, then some how get airside again to stay at the hotel. Would AA be available after midnight to checkout bags for a morning flight?

No, and assuming your bags don't have valuables, I would just push hard to get it through-checked at NBO or have it sorted at the transfer point by handing AA transfer desk/gate agent your baggage tags and making it their problem. Do not clear immigration and baggage claim just for bags.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Wife, toddler, and I are flying steerage on a United/Lufthansa flight via Munich. Does Lufthansa have a process for upgrades at a "reasonable" price? Is there a way to be more/less likely to get an offer?

Pretty much no and no. You can put in an offer but I haven’t seen much reasonable

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Where are the best places to eat around PIT? It looks like I'll be spending my weekdays around there for the next month or so.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

Where are the best places to eat around PIT? It looks like I'll be spending my weekdays around there for the next month or so.

Assuming you mean the city and not the actual airport, Pittsburgh has lots of good food. Here are a few that come to mind.

Pusadee's garden - Thai. Make reservations as far in advance as possible.

Fig & Ash - Modern American

Morcilla - Spanish tapas

Gaucho Parilla - Argentinean, grilled meat

Scratch & Co. - Brunch here was pretty good

Tako - Popular taco spot downtown. I was too drunk to remember how good they were.

COBRA - Japanese BBQ / wagyu + karaoke

Thyme Machine - absolutely baller breakfast sandwiches

Siempre Algo - Modern American

If you mean the airport, LOL. LMAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
in the airport itself is pretty dire but Michael Symon's joint is passable