Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes, you can connect to the network with WiFi and not get bottlenecks you have with the wired connection.

Yep. I learned about this issue on my C3 watching Shogun constantly bounce between 4K and 360p over Ethernet. Didn’t have the issue once I switched to wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I added a USB gigabit ethernet dongle to my TV and it's great now. It's really frustrating that I needed to do that, but at least my TV isn't messing with my wifi any more.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
No one should need more than 640k of ram! But yes WiFi.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tricky Ed posted:

I added a USB gigabit ethernet dongle to my TV and it's great now. It's really frustrating that I needed to do that, but at least my TV isn't messing with my wifi any more.

I'm confused... How did you add an gigabit adapter to your TV?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm confused... How did you add an gigabit adapter to your TV?

I use this one

https://a.co/d/h2R0hIL

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yep. I learned about this issue on my C3 watching Shogun constantly bounce between 4K and 360p over Ethernet. Didn’t have the issue once I switched to wifi.

The Hulu series? That's going to be nowhere NEAR 100mbps.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yep, that's the one I used, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

The Hulu series? That's going to be nowhere NEAR 100mbps.

I’m sure but the built in Hulu app kept going back and forth between 4K and literally like 360p quality on Ethernet. It did not have that issue when I switched to wifi. I think it’s mostly due to the Hulu app being poo poo though.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 5, 2024

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m sure but the built in Hulu app kept going back and forth between 4K and literally like 360p quality on Ethernet. It did not have that issue when I switched to wifi. I think it’s mostly due to the Hulu app being poo poo though.

The Ethernet implementation also tends to be garbage on TVs on top of using cheapo 100m PHYs. Approximately nobody uses Ethernet at home anymore, they’re there to check a box so grognards won’t pitch a fit, manufacturers don’t really care if they work well because everyone uses wifi.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd honestly prefer if they kept component video inputs instead of the ethernet jack, so I could use my PS2 once a year

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Should I worry about how much 4:3 content I watch/play on my C3? It’s not purely 4:3 but I feel like I probably watch more than the average user.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Watch what makes you happy you goon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Watch what makes you happy you goon

Yeah, I’m probably just being paranoid. I’ve been heavily using my iPhone for 2 and a half years without babysitting it at all but the OLED on it seems fine. I don’t notice any burn in even at the icons and clock.

Edit: the C3 manual straight up saying to avoid letterboxed and 4:3 content kinda worries me still.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 5, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I mean, if you're watching it to the exclusivity of all else, then yeah, sure.

I don't think watching an old show or playing a retro console for a couple hours a day is going to be noticeable unless you do it for years straight or something

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Edit: the C3 manual straight up saying to avoid letterboxed and 4:3 content kinda worries me still.

It feels insane to try and avoid letterboxed content, a majority of movies are wider than 16:9 and have been for ages.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twerk from Home posted:

It feels insane to try and avoid letterboxed content, a majority of movies are wider than 16:9 and have been for ages.

Doing some searching I’ve only found one guy with this problem from 4:3 and it’s from a 4/5 year old B6. I can’t find anyone with this issue from wider than 16:9 content. I feel better now.:)

I do baby this tv a little more than my old budget tv but I’ve always been a little ocd about sleeping and turning things off even if I’m stepping out of the room for 10 min.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2024

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Spending all this money on my OLED TV only to find out my MiSTer no longer outputs anything other than 720p lol . It just repeatedly cuts signal to my LG over and over if I set it higher. HDMI port failing...gently caress :haibrow:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It took a crazy amount of hours of letterboxed content on rting's long term test of the 6 series to even have a hint of differential aging on full screen slides. For the most part, it's never going to be an issue.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

It took a crazy amount of hours of letterboxed content on rting's long term test of the 6 series to even have a hint of differential aging on full screen slides. For the most part, it's never going to be an issue.

Could you link that one? I just see their burn in tests that just have CNN on all day at max brightness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was this one.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

They stopped testing at week 122. Letterboxed content was shown for 36% of the time the TV was running (20 hours a day).

So, by week 122, letterboxed bars would have been up for nearly 6,148 hours while the TV was on..

If you look REALLY closely, you can see some uneven aging on the white slides for the top and the bottom, but I have my doubts it would even be visible in normal content.

Granted, the letters all burned it, but that is due to specific aging of those colors beyond what the TV can compensate for (and that has gotten MUCH better on the newer models). Black bars though, the pixels that are active are going to be varied so much that the overall aging of the active area compared to the non-active area isn't going to amount for much.

Now, you WILL see noticeable image retention for about 10 minutes after long viewing of letterboxed or window boxed content, but it goes away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Okay, seems reasonable.

I got this tv for pretty much nothing so if it burns in within 2 or 3 years then whatever and I’ll go back to a cheap rear end Roku LED. I’ll enjoy it for now without worry.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SeANMcBAY posted:

Okay, seems reasonable.

I got this tv for pretty much nothing so if it burns in within 2 or 3 years then whatever and I’ll go back to a cheap rear end Roku LED. I’ll enjoy it for now without worry.

You’ll be fine, enjoy the TV! I use my Mister on my C1 all the time in 4:3 and everything’s fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Matt Zerella posted:

You’ll be fine, enjoy the TV! I use my Mister on my C1 all the time in 4:3 and everything’s fine.

Do you use any scanline filters? I’m considering using the Trinitron one on my Analogue Pocket docked but maybe not since I don’t like how much darker and smaller it makes the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do you use any scanline filters? I’m considering using the Trinitron one on my Analogue Pocket docked but maybe not since I don’t like how much darker and smaller it makes the image.

No, but only because the mister only does 1440p and the scanlines dont look great. But if i had a Tink4K? I’d make that poo poo look like the TV in our den in 1997.