Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm in the market for a laptop for general use (Office apps, streaming media, browsing) at a sub-$1k price point, and finding that I no longer speak the language of hardware or fully grasp what's viable.

As an example, I'm aiming for at least 16GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, Windows 11 without S mode, and if I do any gaming at all on it it will be so deeply retro as to make specs kind of irrelevant.

So I look at this price drop, as a simple example, and ask:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/670309/lenovo-loq-15aph8-156-gaming-laptop-storm-grey

... What's wrong with it to justify the price cut, other than that gamers only want what's new in hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Its old, not the best specs, kinda a plastic-y body. But not a bad choice. The 3050 may in fact be too much GPU for you.

I like this Yoga for slightly more, better build quality, better CPU, better battery life, 2-in-1 is nice for media.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6533951

This 16" LG Gram is also really nice if you want a bigger, 16" screen
https://www.costco.com/lg-gram-16-i...4000213360.html

Costco is a nice place to get a laptop too.

That one you found is a good deal if you want a GPU though.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lockback posted:

Its old, not the best specs, kinda a plastic-y body. But not a bad choice. The 3050 may in fact be too much GPU for you.

I like this Yoga for slightly more, better build quality, better CPU, better battery life, 2-in-1 is nice for media.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6533951

This 16" LG Gram is also really nice if you want a bigger, 16" screen
https://www.costco.com/lg-gram-16-i...4000213360.html

Costco is a nice place to get a laptop too.

That one you found is a good deal if you want a GPU though.

I have enjoyed the Best Buy Experience one too many times over the years and am never going there again if I can help it, even though they're brick-and-mortar in a nearby tax-free state. Micro Center and Costco are both close; the last laptop I bought was Costco mail-order, so I certainly won't rule them out.

To put it in perspective, my personal laptop is old enough that it's still running Windows 7, so anything at all gaming-wise would be a massive update. Frankly, though, I only anticipate using it for very old games, console emulators and MAME in that respect, so the only reason I stared hard at the LOQ was because of its unexpected drop into that price segment.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hp has a pretty nice deal for their 14in Pavilion Plus.
HP Site

quote:

14" FHD+ (1920 x 1200, WUXGA+) 16:10, 300-nits, 45% NTSC, Anti-glare, IPS DIsplay
AMD Ryzen 5 7540U (up to 4.9 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 6 cores, 12 threads)
AMD Radeon 740M Graphics
16GB LPDDR5x-6400 MHz RAM (Onboard)
512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 (2x2) + BT 5.3
HP Wide Vision 5MP IR Camera w/ Camera Privacy Shutter
Full-size, backlit, soft grey keyboard
3-cell, 51 Wh Li-ion polymer Battery
3.19 lbs.

530USD

If you wanted to go all out you could bump up the CPU/graphics and get an OLED display and still be under $800.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 7, 2024

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

Hp has a pretty nice deal for their 14in Pavilion Plus.
HP Site

530USD

If you wanted to go all out you could bump up the CPU/graphics and get an OLED display and still be under $800.

Definitely upgrade the display because the base 1200p 300nit is one of the worst I have personally used.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

buffbus posted:

Definitely upgrade the display because the base 1200p 300nit is one of the worst I have personally used.

Yikes. What are it's biggest shortcomings? I have been forever scarred by the late 2000's/early 2010's dark ages where almost every display was a 1366x768 glossy TN panel even though better display tech with higher resolutions was absolutely available. My 2004 HP had a 1920x1200 matte display, but for a while after that things were truly horrible. Almost any modern display is better than what we had back then.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hadlock posted:

That was the wildest thing I've read posted by a grown rear end adult in this thread, probably ever
Bold statement from a guy that when you were probated complained that not being able to post on the SA forums of all things was literally interfering with your career and life. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yikes. What are it's biggest shortcomings? I have been forever scarred by the late 2000's/early 2010's dark ages where almost every display was a 1366x768 glossy TN panel even though better display tech with higher resolutions was absolutely available. My 2004 HP had a 1920x1200 matte display, but for a while after that things were truly horrible. Almost any modern display is better than what we had back then.

Weird color reproduction and poor contrast, especially file explorer in dark mode.