Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've got an internal recruiter who is doing his best to ghost me right now, after I got the job offer :psyduck:
Apparently wanting to clarify things about the contract and benefits is bad and I'm just supposed to sign and ignore that he lied to me about the salary that was going to be on it or something :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just need a sense check here, ie: someone to tell me what I already know (suck it up and do nothing).

Two weeks ago an external recruiter got me an interview with the hiring manager that went very well, and later a skill assessment for which I got no feedback. Up until then she was extremely responsive (ie: writing back within minutes).

I waited a week and reached out to them for an update and now it’s been almost a week with no response.

Is there any point in reaching out to the HM directly or am I just burning bridges for essentially the same answer?

Gut instinct is that I’m waitlisted as they close on a better candidate and going around the system just makes me look like a whiny baby, but like maybe the external recruiter died and I’ll regret not reaching out?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Reaching out to the hiring manager once is ok, you might get a hint if the delay is due to external things (budget freeze/delay) or internal (looking for a better candidate/internal/CEO's nephew). Most likely you'll get no response. If you have reached out already to the HM, don't bother.

Either way, operate under the assumption they aren't going to get back to you.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
I'm not sure if I asked this before and I'm sorry if I'm redundant, but does anyone have suggestions for podcasts / youtube videos that mimic real interviews?

I'm not looking so much for basic interview advice as I am just wanting to listen to interviews in order to get back into interview mode. But any resource that is good, is much appreciated.

I'm an accountant who's at manager level, so things to pertain to it would be even better. Thanks in advance for anyone that has suggestions.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDmg74rhCw

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

lmao

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Personally I'm inspired by Peter's interviews in the film Office Space, but that probably isn't directly applicable

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Ok. I'm putting tentative steps into the external job market for the first time in a decade.

My team is great. My manager is decent, but kinda distracted most of the time and I get the feeling he's looking for greener pastures too.

The job has the potential to be OK, but the combination of extremely erratic workflow, horrible to use systems, and being forced to be hybrid despite literally being the only person in my city who does my job or anything even remotely related to it is grating. Being in a meeting with an exec where he basically said people in situations like myself have a target in our backs even if we're following the rules doesn't make me feel great either.

My resume gets hits on LinkedIn and Indeed from recruiters. But it's weird what I get hit up for. I have no idea how 7 years of call center work followed by nearly a decade of financial operations work with increasing responsibility followed by a year of loan operations translates to being the director of claims for a commercial trucking company or writing training manuals for a hospital system.

They're not horrible jobs. Not things I would necessarily leave my current job for (they either don't pay QUITE enough or want you in the office 5 days a week -- I prefer remote, am open to hybrid if I actually see my manager and co-workers in person, full in office is generally a no unless we're talking six figure base salary minimum), but not terrible.

Meanwhile, putting in anything myself in my current field that I am totally qualified for is just basically like shooting blanks into a void. I can tick off every single qualification and licensure needed, and just get a "no thanks!"

Is this normal now? I've never had anyone actually go after me for a job that I wasn't instantly convinced was completely awful.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think this job market in general just isn't good at all for white collar workers. Took me 10 months to find a job. Everyone else I know that's also looking for new jobs has had the same experience.

Referrals or a good LinkedIn profile that gets recruiters attention I think are your best bets. Most of my interviews came from recruiters messaging me on LinkedIn and it's also how I landed my current job.

This job search experience has really reinforced my intent to keep on networking with people, I never again want to have to spend the better part of a year to find a job. Especially with all the layoffs recently, I know I can't expect any kind of job security.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Goons, if I am applying for a job and writing a cover letter, - how do I acknowledge my current role that I've been in for a touch less than 6 months?

Do I say "I'm currently employed in the role of [thing] in which I have [achieved thing]" and leave it at that? Or do I need to get a loud speaker to call out the elephant in the room?

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

Goons, if I am applying for a job and writing a cover letter, - how do I acknowledge my current role that I've been in for a touch less than 6 months?

Do I say "I'm currently employed in the role of [thing] in which I have [achieved thing]" and leave it at that? Or do I need to get a loud speaker to call out the elephant in the room?

I probably wouldn't, as you're just repeating what's in your CV. If you have a relevant achievement to talk to, you could phrase your language around "Most recently I have successfully delivered ___ for XXX company which resulted in ____". So consider how relevant the role you're currently in, and its achievements, is to the one you're applying for.

When I was in your position and applying for new roles after 3 months, I didn't reference my current role title and achievements in the cover letter but that's because it was really different to where I wanted to go (and why I was applying for new roles). I did mention the name of the company but that's because the sector was the same and it added weight to my experience.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Jumpsuit posted:

I probably wouldn't, as you're just repeating what's in your CV. If you have a relevant achievement to talk to, you could phrase your language around "Most recently I have successfully delivered ___ for XXX company which resulted in ____". So consider how relevant the role you're currently in, and its achievements, is to the one you're applying for.

When I was in your position and applying for new roles after 3 months, I didn't reference my current role title and achievements in the cover letter but that's because it was really different to where I wanted to go (and why I was applying for new roles). I did mention the name of the company but that's because the sector was the same and it added weight to my experience.

Cool, thank you. The roles are the same except this new one hopefully is a less toxic environment. I'll list off some achievements but I won't specifically call out timelines or anything. It will be in my CV so it isn't like I'm hiding it

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Mustang posted:

I think this job market in general just isn't good at all for white collar workers. Took me 10 months to find a job. Everyone else I know that's also looking for new jobs has had the same experience.

Referrals or a good LinkedIn profile that gets recruiters attention I think are your best bets. Most of my interviews came from recruiters messaging me on LinkedIn and it's also how I landed my current job.

This job search experience has really reinforced my intent to keep on networking with people, I never again want to have to spend the better part of a year to find a job. Especially with all the layoffs recently, I know I can't expect any kind of job security.

I find it funny.

A friend of mine was doing drug treatment counseling for the county. It was a pretty terrible experience, and they let him go after about 6 months for pretty spurious reasons.

I knew he wanted to stay in the field, but let him know that if he gets into a situation where he just needs a job, let me know and I'd put in a good word for him. He does have experience in my field, so I'm fine with helping him out.

He took a few weeks off, started sending out his resume. He had 5 interviews in three days. Walked out of one of them because the interviewer was late.

Meanwhile, my partner got a new job by basically being mean to the HR rep. He put in for a position, was systematically declined the same day.

They kept sending him job opportunities, until he finally got angry and sent them an email saying "You already turned me down. Stop sending me spam. If you're truly interested, I believe my resume speaks for itself.

An HR rep got back to him, said they liked his resume, and set up an initial interview the next day. The day after he interviewed with another manager and was hired on the spot for a 25% raise over his old job.

Note to self: either be a jerk or become a counselor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

I'm not sure if I asked this before and I'm sorry if I'm redundant, but does anyone have suggestions for podcasts / youtube videos that mimic real interviews?

I had luck with "interview and feedback session for X position" on YouTube, but I'm watching portfolio reviews and interviews from some top design companies. A lot of what I have found is geared towards entry-level but it's still a nice refresher.

Or try to find people with some creds doing STAR videos too.