Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who would be better in an ROH ring?
This poll is closed.
Bobby Lashley 29 26.13%
Hulk Hogan 37 33.33%
Tanahashi 11 9.91%
Okada 34 30.63%
Total: 111 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MassRafTer posted:

That would suck because ROH would be out of business in a year.

Sinclair is running ROH like a responsible company. The idea of trying to be #2 for the sake of #2 is asinine. It is one thing if you are capturing marketshare, but in this case you aren't. TNA had no marketshare, they had TV viewers that didn't care enough about the product to spend money. ROH has no way to capture those viewers, nor should it be important to them to go out of their way to get them. They added traditional PPVs last year to try to actually go out there and capture PPV dollars that many felt were out there.

Last year ROH brought in pretty much every single free agent I wanted them to and this year they added some dates for Alberto which cannot be cheap. When you start going down the path of spending money to challenge someone for some made up concept you go the way of TNA or WCW. WCW was at least trying to be #1 and that obsession killed them. TNA wanted to be #1 even though they never would be. Spending money to be #2 is stupid. So stupid. If they actually cut back on the product that would suck, but right now I'm not seeing any signs of it. I am all for the company doing what it has been doing, putting out a solid product and growing very slowly.

I guess I'm just frustrated that ROH doesn't seem to be a priority to them because they're doing very well from a talent standpoint (and I would say the creative direction has been in general positive as well, even though I'm underwhelmed by them putting the belt back on Briscoe). It seems like aside from PPV not doing what they'd hope, business is growing with the better product as well. You can make an argument that booking Alberto doesn't bring enough value to justify the expense and that's fine, but hearing that the directive is for more belt-tightening when the company is bringing in more money seems backwards. I wonder how morale is in ROH when the guys signing the checks don't give a poo poo that they're doing well.

rovert posted:

Does anyone actually know if Adam Cole pen to paper re-signed with ROH? Never got an answer. Seemed WWE bound before his injury.

I'm very curious about this as well. Sure he's shorter than WWE generally likes, but Cole is pretty much perfect for everything else they want. He's an excellent worker but doesn't rely on an overly spotty style so he'd be easy to retrain, he has a great feel for working the crowd, and he's leagues ahead of the vast majority of indie workers on the mic. He's still pretty young too, so he'd have time for a pretty long WWE run even with a year or more layover in NXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
Why be #2 by elevating your own product when you could just try to cripple the product of a virtual non-competitor by mandating that your signed talent cannot work there?

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I enjoyed Cole from what I saw of him in Ring of Honor, but after binging on PWG shows, I now think hes beyond amazing. If/when he signs with wwe, he'll probably need to take advantage of a moment like DB and Punk but he can be a really good asset for them.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have a hard time getting into a show that doesn't have regular PPVs or otherwise big events. ROH cutting back on that has really hurt my interest in the company.

But really, even if they did run regular PPVs I'm not sure I'd be that into them... I wonder how many people have replaced ROH with NJPW/NXT? Because that's sure what happened to me.

I still follow what's happening with ROH and go to live events, but I have a hard time getting excited for storylines and whatnot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I have a hard time getting into a show that doesn't have regular PPVs or otherwise big events. ROH cutting back on that has really hurt my interest in the company.

But really, even if they did run regular PPVs I'm not sure I'd be that into them... I wonder how many people have replaced ROH with NJPW/NXT? Because that's sure what happened to me.

I still follow what's happening with ROH and go to live events, but I have a hard time getting excited for storylines and whatnot.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, especially since Zayn and Neville have gotten more time on NXT and Lucha Underground has bee putting out a good product. There's only so much time in the week and I'll more often than not fire up NJPW World or the Network than seek out an ROH TV, regardless of quality.

That said, ROH is still the only wrestling I get on terrestrial TV so if I'm at home/awake on a Sunday night at 11 I'll almost always catch it. If not though, I almost never go look for the show elsewhere.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

ROH doesnt tour north of NYC (specifically CT/MA) anymore, do they?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd watch ROH more but there's very few GOTCHA angles to get me re-invested. Also Michael Elgin is way overhyped.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

TUS posted:

ROH doesnt tour north of NYC (specifically CT/MA) anymore, do they?

Not since the TV taping in Providence in 2013.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ciampa's apparently in negotiations with ROH right now about signing a contract rather than being a per-appearance guy, I suspect how that goes may inform the outcome of the title match at 13th Anniversary.

e: I just finished watching the most recent ROH TV episode, and gently caress whoever actually wins the tournament, Dalton Castle was the real top prospect. He was entertaining as hell and looked pretty good in the ring to boot. Hope he shows up more in ROH, their undercard could use it.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 6, 2015

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So I live in New England, and am sick of the cold. The RoH Anniversary Show on 3/1 is in the desert. I am seriously considering a trip across the country for a weekend in Vegas and some RoH. But since PAX East is the next weekend, and I just drove down to Philadelphia to see the Rumble a few weeks ago - which is where I also saw my very first RoH show ever, I kind of want someone to try to talk me out of spending the money. But I know this is probably the wrong place to suggest that. Is it worth going?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Uncle Ulty posted:

So I live in New England, and am sick of the cold. The RoH Anniversary Show on 3/1 is in the desert. I am seriously considering a trip across the country for a weekend in Vegas and some RoH. But since PAX East is the next weekend, and I just drove down to Philadelphia to see the Rumble a few weeks ago - which is where I also saw my very first RoH show ever, I kind of want someone to try to talk me out of spending the money. But I know this is probably the wrong place to suggest that. Is it worth going?

The card for 13th Anniversary looks crazy stacked. ROH's multimans are always nuts so even though I'm not crazy about most of the participants the title match should be really good, reDRagon vs. the Young Bucks is always amazing, Lethal vs. Alberto looks really promising because Lethal's loving on fire right now, and hopefully ACH vs. AJ Styles is the star-making moment for ACH that I know he's got in him. No matter what the undercard shakes out to be, that's a crazy good top four matches.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Uncle Ulty posted:

card looks awesome and if you buy the show at home the feed will probably break so you MUST go to vegas to see it

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm gonna be pretty pissed when Supercard of Honor doesn't have a lineup anywhere near that good, let's put it that way.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
catching up on recent ROH TV and push Dalton Castle to the top, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
New thread, don't post in this one anymore

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699918

• Locked thread