Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What we would like you to think football here is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IoSku2cB8

What football here is really like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdBj1lDvFCQ

Actual European football team logos time!

From the left: Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns (Germany), Søllerød Gold Diggers (Denmark), Ipswich Cardinals (Britain), Mullingar Minotaurs (Ireland). These are all real teams that really exist and really play football!

Now it's 2014, and everyone and his dog can set up live streaming of their games to confuse the shite out of poor football-starved Americans who still have a hole in them from the collapse of the UFL. Yes, we play football in Europe, and the season runs over the summer to get away from soccer. Probably if you're a college fan, you'll recognise some 4th-string nobody who failed off your team for being crap, and who's now a superstar for Berlin Adler. And no, it's not just happening in Germany and Austria where all the army bases are (although because they do things properly, they've got most of the good teams); most of Europe has a league of some sort. If you're in this thread, you're probably going to watch at least one game, or a few of the highlights videos, at some point before football comes back properly.

Football here is run on the standard European model of a domestic league for each country, with the good teams last season earning qualification to some level of European competition (this year there are seperate-but-equal competitions being run by two different governing bodies, on account of a dull squabble over not very much money). Top leagues are Austria and Germany in that order, followed by some random shitpile order of France, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Italy (depends where the money is this year); followed by Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Britain (again in a roughly random order with GB near the bottom, natch); and then there's quite a few other countries as well who are just getting started with this weird "American football" thing (it's doing particularly well in Serbia and Turkey).

The Austrian league is already up and running, and Swarco Raiders Tirol (as you may have guessed if you clicked those links) are heavily into streaming. Their Eurobowl and Austrian Bowl rematch against Raffeisen Vikings from earlier today was blacked out by Raffeisen, but they'll be rebroadcasting it here (warning, contains spoilers) at some point tomorrow. If you've nothing better to do than sit there refreshing the page to find out when it'll actually start, of course. They're usually good for highlights videos as well, if you've fifteen minutes to kill and you're jonesing for a fix; and they should be streaming reliably throughout the season.

The almost-professional volunteers at Gridiron TV are looking to stream regularly this summer - mostly games from Scotland, because that's where they all live, and in high-definition where possible. Their offerings begin next Saturday, March 29th when they'll be covering the British university championship finals from Leeds (thanks to a small Kickstarter campaign and some timely sponsorship). Swansea Titans v Royal Holloway Bears in the losers' cup will start at 8:15am Eastern, with the national final of Stirling Clansmen v Birmingham Lions following at about 12 noon. At least two of those teams even have quarterbacks who can throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield! Expect plenty of incomplete passes and snaps flying wildly over people's heads.

Other than that, who knows. This all tends to get worked out on a pretty ad-hoc basis (usually the team themselves don't know if they're streaming any particular game until their camera guy tells them if he has to go to work that day or not); if you're digging this out of page 4 in July, known past offenders for live streaming are Swarco, Sussex Thunder, and Flash de la Courneuve Paris Flash. London Blitz will have highlights of their games arrive on Youtube the following Thursday. If anyone finds another regular stream, then by all means post away.

Finally, the official anthem of football in Europe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsHE5xWges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Trin Tragula posted:

These are all real teams that really exist and really play football!

Let's not get too carried away here.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I bet I could make the cut to get on a Spanish team, where do I apply

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In an All-Star match up between the top players in the European leagues and the Indian Leagues who would lose the least?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The concession stand

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh hey a thread for terrible UK football chat!

Trin, have you run into the Walney Terriers at all? New BAFA team after playing some associate games the past few years and my new local team after Carlisle folded. Might end up getting involved with them at some point.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

They're at the wrong end of the country for me ( :v: ), so no. All I know is they've been knocking on the door for a while, and they'll probably see more officials at home than Carlisle did because it's actually feasible to send people there from the M62 corridor.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ha, you say that, but the time from Lancaster -> Barrow is roughly the time from Lancaster -> Carlisle, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

It seems like they're still running the old playbooks brought over in the 80s again, which is a shame. Is that pretty much the norm at this level, or is Cumbria just particularly backward and insular?

Late Hit
Nov 4, 2009
One of the teams I played for in England went entire games without a first down. We travelled all over the country to get our arses kicked.

The team being made up of 50% still-pissed metalhead, 25% still pissed chav and 25% old man who started playing 20 years previously didn't help too much.

I'm broken physically and not half as clever as I used to be but I loving loved playing football.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

sweet thursday posted:

The concession stand

did you know that at spanish fútbol games not a single stadium sells beer

soccer i like you y soy boquerón but you make it so loving hard sometimes

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

American Football? In my Britain? :getin:

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Oxford are winning Varsity this year and I'm getting MVP, gently caress you, go Lancers.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hmmmm

code:
                W       L       T      For   Against
Oxford Lancers 	0 	8 	0 	31 	294
You're probably better than Essex, though.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Oh man, are guys loving ready!

Well, settle down then. The 35th Vaahteraliiga season won't start until May. Vaahteraliiga or Maple League is the highest level of American footy in Finland and, blah, I'm really struggling to get excited about it, read the wiki if you feel like it.

Anyway, here's some highlights from the last Maple Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrmG9qJNTiY

You betcha there's lovely tackling.

They're promising televised live broadcasts but I have no idea whether they'll be streaming online. I'll look into it.

E: And now I get the feeling I made a post exactly like this last year but never followed up on it. Temper your expectations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
How the gently caress is there a team from Ireland that isn't green

I mean what the gently caress

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Jerome Agricola posted:

Oh man, are guys loving ready!

Well, settle down then. The 35th Vaahteraliiga season won't start until May. Vaahteraliiga or Maple League is the highest level of American footy in Finland and, blah, I'm really struggling to get excited about it, read the wiki if you feel like it.

I would pay a reasonable amount of money for a Helsinki 69ers shirt.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
So in clicking around I discovered that the Turku Trojans have a punter who weighs 115 KG. For those of us :patriot:/failed our science courses; that's 250 pounds.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Hmmmm

code:
                W       L       T      For   Against
Oxford Lancers 	0 	8 	0 	31 	294
You're probably better than Essex, though.
Our O-line will finally have more than two acceptable players, all of our receivers and pass-rushers will be around at once for once, and our QB of the future is going to have his break-out game. We're going to shock the world in May. *joe namath voice* I guarantee it. Varsity Bowl III, Oxford over Cambridge, get your bets in now. RIP KK.

lancers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chris de Sperg posted:

Our O-line will finally have more than two acceptable players, all of our receivers and pass-rushers will be around at once for once, and our QB of the future is going to have his break-out game. We're going to shock the world in May. *joe namath voice* I guarantee it. Varsity Bowl III, Oxford over Cambridge, get your bets in now. RIP KK.

lancers

My high school team had players who were bigger than these guys.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Bullshit that's not a High School Varsity yearbook photo.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Benne posted:

You get that a lot at university level over here. A lot of people will come from school/college having never really been involved in sports or weight training but thought they'd give it a go at uni. It creates some huge mismatches but I think people usually realise they're small and try to bulk on the way.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Benne posted:

A few years back we had a visit from a touring group of no-name just-graduated high school players with too much spare cash, so they went round the country sightseeing and playing football one last time with their mates before they went to college. Scrimmaged a bunch of our youth teams and then played one of the adult teams. Adult team had 40 players, they had 18 players. The tourists won 35-7.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to compete in any sport when your best athletes wouldn't likely even consider it.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Benne posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bullshit that's not a High School Varsity yearbook photo.
gently caress yall we killin it #beatcambridge

People on the internet are upset at the Stirling QB because http://www.brignewspaper.com/2014/03/clansmen-stevenson-i-consider-myself-the-best-quarterback-in-britain-good-luck-trying-to-stop-us/ this is gonna be cool imo

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Chris de Sperg posted:

gently caress yall we killin it #beatcambridge

People on the internet are upset at the Stirling QB because http://www.brignewspaper.com/2014/03/clansmen-stevenson-i-consider-myself-the-best-quarterback-in-britain-good-luck-trying-to-stop-us/ this is gonna be cool imo

Jeez, that is just a perfect example of why media training is a thing that exists for professionals. Beautiful example of someone trying to give an insight into himself, but in such a way that it can be really easily misconstrued by a lot of people and piss a lot of people off.

(It seems to me like he's not trying to say "I am empirically the best quarterback in Britain", he's trying to explain that his mindset when he's out there on the field has to be that he's the best QB in Britain, because that gives him the confidence he needs to have to make decisions and back himself when it counts. Seems perfectly reasonable, but probably the wrong medium at the wrong time to be saying that.)

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I want to make a Klansmen joke, but I'm sure it's been done to death and back by now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I did a double-take at the name.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Jeez, that is just a perfect example of why media training is a thing that exists for professionals. Beautiful example of someone trying to give an insight into himself, but in such a way that it can be really easily misconstrued by a lot of people and piss a lot of people off.

(It seems to me like he's not trying to say "I am empirically the best quarterback in Britain", he's trying to explain that his mindset when he's out there on the field has to be that he's the best QB in Britain, because that gives him the confidence he needs to have to make decisions and back himself when it counts. Seems perfectly reasonable, but probably the wrong medium at the wrong time to be saying that.)
He definitely got a bollocking for it because I messaged him trying to get a quote for my own preview piece and he pretty much told me "nope, can't say anything after that last article". Shame because not only was it a perfectly reasonable statement, if you play a sport competitively and don't think like that, I don't really know what to tell you tbh.

Zurreco posted:

I want to make a Klansmen joke, but I'm sure it's been done to death and back by now.

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, I did a double-take at the name.
Scotland is definitely white imo

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

So that's GridironTV.co.uk, first game at 12:15 GMT/8:15 Eastern (I think), and the national university final at 4pm/12 noon (again, not entirely sure if you're four hours or five behind us at the moment). Check it out, hear Cecil Martin (late of the Philadelphia Eagles) trying to understand some pretty thick Scottish accents on commentary, enjoy.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Final is starting now

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Here is what you are missing

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Got it on. Level of play isn't bad, overall. Close to American high school level, but you gotta start somewhere.

Edit: removed a bunch of silly crap.

Good game.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 29, 2014

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Oh man, I moved to Switzerland and going to see the Bern Grizzlies take on the Calanda Broncos at Wankdorf Stadium (real place, no joke) is one of the highlights of my time here. Any Texas high school team would have pounded these guys into the ground.

First kick = muffed. There was a dude on the other team (a 6' 3" American) who put points on the board on both sides of the ball. He was their W1, responsible for every winning catch, Corner 1, with a pick 6 and their kicker. The coach was some husky voiced American. Also apparently only two Americans are allowed per side of the ball, which at first I thought was a talent issue, but is rather a trade laws rule.

But my favorite part? My absolute favorite part, aside from two hungover dudes announcing the thing in Swiss German (starting sometime after halftime) was after the game, when 60% of the players were hanging around out back smoking cigarettes.

Can't wait to go back. One of my friends is a Schwabish Unicorns fan. It was actually amazing how many people there had no idea how football works.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

GTV's going to rebroadcast both those games from 6pm/1pm on Wednesday, and Raiders TV now has Raiders vs Danube Dragons available on-demand.

Hey Chris, have you got the gif of the even more comedic punt from a bit later?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ooooooooh lalalalalalala, the insane French commentators are back, and they're back today. C'est incroyable! IFAF Europe Champions League, London Blitz are away to Templiers d'Elancourt.

Templiers TV
London Blitz Video

8pm local time, 2pm Eastern. Live stream link available from here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxbuou_templiers-tv-le-live_sport

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Ooooooooh lalalalalalala, the insane French commentators are back, and they're back today. C'est incroyable! IFAF Europe Champions League, London Blitz are away to Templiers d'Elancourt.

Templiers TV
London Blitz Video

8pm local time, 2pm Eastern. Live stream link available from here: http://dblcoverage.com/live-london-blitz-templiers-elancourt/
The Blitz are going to get destroyed, book it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Templiers TV is now live and rebroadcasting the end of their recent league game against Dauphins de Nice. Post is also edited for actual link... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxbuou_templiers-tv-le-live_sport

Elancourt in red, Blitz in white.

Chris de Sperg posted:

The Blitz are going to get destroyed, book it.

Never underestimate the determination of a man who is trying to shake off being a running gag...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 19, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I was on a dude's podcast in the run-up to the Oxford-Cambridge varsity match:

http://huddleupoxford.podbean.com/e/09-jo-edwards-is-pumped-for-varsity/

I don't know/remember how illuminating it was but idk there's probably some interesting things in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Woo! The Finnish American Football League Vaahteraliiga will begin its 2014 season this Saturday. They've promised live video coverage but there's still no info whether it will be broadcast on some shady local network or internet stream or what.

Here's a link to videos of last season's games to tide you over.
http://www.sajl.fi/media/netti-tv/vaahteraliiga-2013/

• Locked thread