Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha you’ve conditioned yourself! I have a wrestling channel that shows things like PPVs as well as individual 5*+ WON rated matches. I mean to work on that more, but they’re such easy channels to put together for background.

Does anyone with one of these systems not immediately make a classic Simpsons years channel? Impossible not to. I need to add some promos to mine for between episodes I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My hope is that file sizes will keep getting smaller, and drives getting bigger so I can just have about 40 years if content available. Some of those old TV show intros and outros are so nice to fall asleep to.

Now this is next level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-gYEIWNJs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve seen his and some similar videos before, it’s for the best I don’t have the space for it in this house, I’ve had places before where we’ve had more room than sense for projects. A single modulator could be fun, and there’s modern ones you can get from Amazon for about $30.

Funnily enough my main client for the MTV thing is an iPad, as I can double tap the view in Plex and it’ll zoom in to 4:3 nicely. I have my watermark and credits set to 4:3 safe zones and most of the videos I have playing are in 4:3 anyway so it works nicely. Anything in genuine 16:9 just gets cropped and most are smart enough to have the focus in the center.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Look at what you've made me spend my afternoon doing El Bromance. Now I'm downloading old commercials from archive.org to use as padding.

oh poo poo, I just recently grabbed the complete Looney Tunes library from archive.org, and I'm looking at another collection right now with stuff like Flip the Frog and Popeye, I could easily make a 24/7 classic cartoons channel right now :negative:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This is getting far from plex, but does anyone know something like this for radio stations? I'd love to make a commericial free feed of the local alt station's playlist through amazon music, apple music or spotify. Or even be able to do it from a particular time period. Like 15 years ago I had a cron job crawling a website a station posted with their recent plays and saving it in a db, but can't even remember what machine that was or where the database might be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha you’ve conditioned yourself! I have a wrestling channel that shows things like PPVs as well as individual 5*+ WON rated matches. I mean to work on that more, but they’re such easy channels to put together for background.

Does anyone with one of these systems not immediately make a classic Simpsons years channel? Impossible not to. I need to add some promos to mine for between episodes I think.

I'm a simple man

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Seems like in Plex if you already have a Tuner set up that uses a standard EPG you can't set up a second Tuner that uses XMLTV EPGs without going through an annoying workaround. That is frustrating. I literally get no option to use XMLTV when setting up the ErsatzTV tuner. This is the intended way it it supposed to act.

Maybe I'll resurrect my Jellyfin install to just be channels.

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 30, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kdrudy posted:

Seems like in Plex if you already have a Tuner set up that uses a standard EPG you can't set up a second Tuner that uses XMLTV EPGs without going through an annoying workaround. That is frustrating. I literally get no option to use XMLTV when setting up the ErsatzTV tuner. This is the intended way it it supposed to act.

Maybe I'll resurrect my Jellyfin install to just be channels.

I already have plans to cover this as it is a roadblock, but yeah there are workaround solutions that are kinda neat and have their advantages too as it gives you better management than Plex does and then you just have Plex pick up the entire channel set from it. I personally use https://github.com/Threadfin/Threadfin as I've gone through things with the developer before to get them fixed and working better, and it's now essentially feature complete with probably no further updates (but works perfectly well for my system).

My Plex setup is HDHomeRun for local channels, Ersatz/Dizque for generated channels, and an IPTV package that has been fully curated for everything else including PPV channels that update correctly. I personally use a different IPTV app on my AppleTV for the most part, but everything is designed to work in Plex too to keep it easy and allow me to use any device I get my hands on/at friends houses etc.

I can see why Plex doesn't want to get too handsy in allowing as much freedom with the IPTV stuff as it does with local media, but boy it would such a great frontend for live TV if it let you do multiple EPGs, proper channel groups etc. It's especially annoying as the Plex EPG is generally really good, and I wish I could have Threadfin use that too, instead I have a subscription to EPG.best and I have all my HDHR channels doubled up with IPTV backups to bring those through.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I run a Plex server on my Nvidia Shield with media files themselves on an external hard drive. Every now and then Radarr & Sonarr fill up this drive and I've noticed they will download much larger files than is necessary e.g a 25GB movie file when a perfectly fine 1.6GB file will do.

What are my best options here? Continually buy new drives? Delete files? Manually go through dozens of files an redownload them at a lower size?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What are you using for quality and profile settings?
/settings/quality
/settings/profiles

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Every now and then Radarr & Sonarr fill up this drive and I've noticed they will download much larger files than is necessary e.g a 25GB movie file when a perfectly fine 1.6GB file will do.

What are my best options here? Continually buy new drives? Delete files? Manually go through dozens of files an redownload them at a lower size?

Configure the quality profiles of radarr and sonarr properly. Use the mass editor and filter functions in the *rrs to bulk delete and redownload versions that meet your needs.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Motronic posted:

Configure the quality profiles of radarr and sonarr properly. Use the mass editor and filter functions in the *rrs to bulk delete and redownload versions that meet your needs.

How do you use the mass editor?

Bonzo posted:

What are you using for quality and profile settings?
/settings/quality
/settings/profiles

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

For movies in radarr, I manually uncheck the monitor flag so it stops trying to find better versions. Maybe it works better now but that's the way I've managed movies in radarr since the beginning. Movies I think can be goofy since people are always trying to trump the existing versions.

For tv in sonarr, I make sure to set the profile for the max quality I would want. That is enough to keep it from constantly trying to grab better versions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Personally, as I have my Radarr setup completely automated - I tell it to just download the (preferably Amazon) WEB-DL 1080p as they usually do a pretty solid job of getting a good quality/size ratio. Anything I'm specifically looking forward to, I'll override and either grab in 4K or Blu-Ray remux. All of these then get superseded (by hand) by HEVC encodes for archive once their time on the 'current' movie HDD has passed.

---

So I have a transatlantic flight tomorrow, and I'm doing the usual attempt to download stuff in sync on my iPad and... everything is going swimmingly. 480p versions of sitcoms that look good enough on this screen flying down (It's a 64gb device, so no full HD). This sweet success can only mean one thing - I likely won't watch any of these shows on the flight.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

EL BROMANCE posted:

So I have a transatlantic flight tomorrow, and I'm doing the usual attempt to download stuff in sync on my iPad and... everything is going swimmingly. 480p versions of sitcoms that look good enough on this screen flying down (It's a 64gb device, so no full HD). This sweet success can only mean one thing - I likely won't watch any of these shows on the flight.

I’m doing the same thing now, too. International flight so the iPad is loaded up with movies and shows. I know I’ll be watching them.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to have Plex transcode DolbyVision to HDR10 or tone map to SDR (with Plex Pass)? My TV and/or receiver doesn't support DV but Plex still direct plays DV files and then the colors are off.

This will depend on the DV profile that the file is using. If the video is overwhelmingly green/purple when played back on a device that doesn't support DV, that's usually profile 5 which has no HDR10 fallback layer. For DV Profile 5 there's no way to tone map to SDR via plex, you'll need to source the video in a different DV profile that includes the HDR10 layer or directly in HDR10 with no DV. If it's a profile 7/8 file then Plex should be able to play it in HDR10 via direct play or tone map to SDR if transcoding.

Note that all of the streaming services, if they support DV, only provide a DV profile 5 file to a device that identifies itself as supporting DV. Because of this generally anything from a streaming service that's labeled as DV is going to be profile 5 and won't play correctly on a device that doesn't support DV. There's ways to combine the DV profile 5 file with an HDR10 file and make a weird hybrid file that supports everything, but it's an extra step and so you won't find it very often.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks to El Bromance, I spent tonight fighting ErsatzTv and Docker. (Don’t forget the config directory when you make your compose file!) I got it going with two channels so far. However I think my “server” is too underpowered for this. When I streamed to VLC it would only play for a few seconds before pausing. I wasn’t able to get any video to play in Plex, just get the schedule to show up in the UI.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wonder if some tweaking of ffmpeg might help, DizqueTV has a few options that might make the difference but I can see the ability to turn on and off hw acceleration in the profile list as well as switching to mpeg2 which might have a lower overhead?

I did that screen record in a VM and it was getting hammered by it too, but on a regular system it uses about 80% of a core when running at most and settles lower than that usually.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

fralbjabar posted:

This will depend on the DV profile that the file is using. If the video is overwhelmingly green/purple when played back on a device that doesn't support DV, that's usually profile 5 which has no HDR10 fallback layer. For DV Profile 5 there's no way to tone map to SDR via plex, you'll need to source the video in a different DV profile that includes the HDR10 layer or directly in HDR10 with no DV. If it's a profile 7/8 file then Plex should be able to play it in HDR10 via direct play or tone map to SDR if transcoding.

Note that all of the streaming services, if they support DV, only provide a DV profile 5 file to a device that identifies itself as supporting DV. Because of this generally anything from a streaming service that's labeled as DV is going to be profile 5 and won't play correctly on a device that doesn't support DV. There's ways to combine the DV profile 5 file with an HDR10 file and make a weird hybrid file that supports everything, but it's an extra step and so you won't find it very often.

Yeah that was exactly the problem because it was a Netflix rip, and I guess it's a licensing issue in terms of why Plex can't re-encode a DV stream. The more you know! Ended up just grabbing another version.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Splinter posted:

Yeah that was exactly the problem because it was a Netflix rip, and I guess it's a licensing issue in terms of why Plex can't re-encode a DV stream. The more you know! Ended up just grabbing another version.

This was a big driver in me finally buckling down and buying a new (and OLED) TV. Got so tired of having to dodge DV files.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
IPTV folks, what’s the consensus on Streammaster vs Threadfin as an M3U proxy? I’m currently using xTeve which is no longer supported.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Streammaster is shaping up to be pretty great but is very beta still. A complete new methodology is in the works for managing streams. Channels will be curated, streams will be properties of channels. I don't know that's I jump in on a new setup until that's complete.

Also, it suppoerts the best gude data source, Schedules Direct, but there is an open bug where it only refreshes data on addition of a new channel/config or on boot of the container. So you have to restart every few days or you run out of guide data.

I'm enjoying it. I think it's going to turn out be be great, but it's just not at all finished software.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

This is just a post in case someone comes across the same issue. I was trying to download shows to my iPad because I am going on a trip tomorrow and was getting an error response code 400 every time I tried to download something. I have downloaded many things before on my iPad so I wasn't sure what the issue was. I was also able to download shows to my android phone. Anyway the solution was to delete the app from my iPad and download it again and it solves my issue. Hope this helps someone who has a similar issue.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

currently my Plex server is an old HP EliteDesk with an external HDD.

I need more storage, and am looking for the best bang for my buck.

For HDDs I was looking at something like these WD Ultrastar 18TB Drives that have a 5-year warranty.

Would it be fine to just grab an enclosure like this one and throw 4-5 drives in there, and run it through my EliteDesk?

or should I really be looking at building a NAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't trust a USB DAS like that; there's a huge difference in reliability between "drive enclosure made by a reputable brand that connects over external SAS" and "drive enclosure made as cheaply as possible that connects using a no-name USB chip".