Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...h-1226942516909

quote:

IT’S an internet horror-cult that almost caused a killing. Now the hosts of the “Slenderman” myth believed behind a brutal pre-teen attack have defended their art.

Two Milwaukee girls told investigators they plotted for months to kill their friend because a character called Slenderman required them to kill someone before they could become his “proxy.’’
Both 12-year-olds have been charged as adults for first-degree attempted homicide. Police say it’s not yet clear whether they got access to the online fiction at home or at school, but a school administrator said employees were reviewing various websites to see if they should be blocked after the stabbing.

Behind the terrifying Slenderman cult.

The Slenderman myth is not new. It was created during 2009 on the SomethingAwful web forum in an experiment in the creation of folklore-like images through photo manipulation.
It’s all about a gaunt, abnormally tall figure who stalks children and lurks in narrow places. It blends ancient European demonic myths with modern memes to produce one of the internet’s most terrifying stories.

Distorted pictures. Disturbing sightings. “Found footage” video. All have been spawned through the inspiration this spindly, faceless figure has generated. This particular story has succeeded beyond its creators’ dreams, and has been a popular topic of fan-fiction on a wide variety of websites — including Creepypasta.
In sort, Slenderman has become firmly entrenched in urban legend. “I didn’t expect it to move beyond the (SomethingAwful) forums,” the man attributed with the myth’s creation — Victor Surge — told the website Know Your Meme in 2011.

Posting on SomethingAwful causes some people to kill other people. News at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Oh poo poo, really? surprised this hasnt been posted yet

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i cant tell who is being ironic with these threads and who is actually loving retarded

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

If the mods murder this thread will they see Slenderman?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

roboshit posted:

i cant tell who is being ironic with these threads and who is actually loving retarded

Little of column A, little of column B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

roboshit posted:

neither of those things are necessarily mutually exclusive

• Locked thread