Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The lightsaber combat in jedi survivor feels really good :cabot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Rotwood is a roguelike beat-em-up that released in early access last week. Like most beat-em-ups, most of your attacks and weapons are melee based, but there are also ranged options, one of which is a cannon. You have unlimited ammo, but need to reload every 6 shots. Initially I really didn't like this because the reload button replaces your dodge, and the button/action that functions as your dodge now does a shotgun blast that knocks you back. But that means you can only dodge if you have ammo in the gun. So I didn't care for that, and thought it would be a negative.

But one of the things I like about this game is there are hidden mechanics, and the cannon has a bunch of them. So, typically, you have the 4 face buttons that usually are Light Attack, Heavy Attack, Special and Dodge. With the cannon those change a little bit where Dodge becomes Reload. And Reload works on a timing mechanic where you need to hit the button twice to do the reload. Get the timing right and it's a quick reload, do it wrong and it's a slow reload.

What the game doesn't explain is that the first button press can be followed by any other button and it will give different results. So Reload + Light Attack will point the cannon at the ground and do an AOE around your character. If you get the timing wrong, it will also damage you. Reload + Heavy Attack will launch all your available ammo like a mortar doing heavy damage a bit in front of your character. And Reload + Special will have your character drop the cannon, and then hop on top of it, turning it into a rocket that shoots across the screen.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I have a lot of issues with Rimworld that belong in the other thread, but one thing I do like is how ludicrous the storyteller can be at times. I was watching someone play Rimworld and they got a mission to protect a Royal who was being chased by enemies that had already killed her guards. The enemy chasing said Royal? A single raccoon. Immediately after that, he got a mission to house a couple of refugees and their child. The refugees then turned hostile and were promptly eaten by the colony's pet bears.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

bawk posted:

New Carcinia to explore The Sands Between, you're told to explicitly stay on the path marked by highly-reflective Life Preservers.

flatluigi posted:

out of the many many incredible bits of trash with fake brands on them, one of them is Elder Bay Seasoning
:lmao: I love these

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The final attacks for some of the characters in Arc: twilight of the spirits are funny because of what they really mean, like Maru's final attacks, which are listed as "Aiming at flying enemies" and "Aiming at a big flying thing" and you'd think it would give a bonus to those types of enemies, but nope. What really happens is that Maru shoots an arrow into the air, and then the enemy gets hit by a dead bird in the first move, and a loving AIRSHIP in the second one. That's amazing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Marcade posted:

I have a lot of issues with Rimworld that belong in the other thread, but one thing I do like is how ludicrous the storyteller can be at times. I was watching someone play Rimworld and they got a mission to protect a Royal who was being chased by enemies that had already killed her guards. The enemy chasing said Royal? A single raccoon. Immediately after that, he got a mission to house a couple of refugees and their child. The refugees then turned hostile and were promptly eaten by the colony's pet bears.
Ah yes, the softball intro to the Royalty quests.

I like it when I get that and backed up with a 'Royalty is gonna crash! You have to defend them from x waves of baddies!' quest and the guards wreck the poo poo of 20 dudes without help.
I like to think that someone is trying to assassinate the starter quest person.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Another Crab's Treasure, I was joking earlier but I legit think I got to an area that looks like Anor Londo made of sand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Time For Crab is the good kind of homage in that it very clearly loves and understands the nuances of fromsoft's stuff while still taking the piss out of it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Elden Ring has a bunch of little dungeons called "catacombs" that, like the Bloodborne Chalice dungeons, are largely just square grid mazes made out of the same repetitive hallway and room blocks. They all have the same objective: find the lever that opens the boss door, then kill the boss. It can be easy to get turned around and lost. There's one of them that plays with all of these features in an absolutely incredible way, the Leyndell Catacombs.

The 3D map of the catacombs looks like this:

That may look like a confusing jumble, and it's meant to; it's the exact same layout stacked on top of itself three times. You reach what seems like the end of the dungeon, and the chance to drop down into what looks like an earlier part of the dungeon, but is in fact a NEW part with the exact same layout, so what feels like "backtracking" will actually bring you to areas you haven't been, and you get completely disoriented as your mental model of the level cracks and eventually falls apart. You have to navigate an identical route, and then do it AGAIN for a THIRD time, to actually get to the boss lever.

This is all generally extremely funny and cool to me, but there is a specific element of it that made it feel worthy of this thread. In the first circuit you encounter a memorable ogre-like enemy called an Omen, and it can be a tough fight at this point in the game. When you reach the same point in the second circuit, you come across a pre-populated Omen corpse, which LOOKS like it's the one you killed earlier, but now there is a SECOND Omen standing over it who you now have to fight. You have this moment of "Oh poo poo, where did he come from, I didn't see him before!" that reinforces the illusion that you're backtracking, while starting to insinuate that something is different.

It has a very Baba is You feel to it, where it truly feels like a videogame level that has been designed specifically to gently caress with the expectations of people who have played a lot of video games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it is really disappointing to me, the only person on the planet that loves them, that elden ring doesn’t have root/randomized dungeons like the root chalices from Bloodborne

i don’t think i’ve ever heard anyone say anything good about them and everyone complains about the asset reuse but they generate cool, interesting layouts with lots of traps and secrets…and while bloodborne is a gorgeous game it’s not like it’s without asset reuse and kind of mediocre areas in the main game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That catacomb loving sucks and I hate it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that place made me feel like i was losing my mind, A+

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was neat but since it was also like the 20th catacomb I found I wasn't really receptive to interrogating the deeper structure of each one by then

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

it is really disappointing to me, the only person on the planet that loves them, that elden ring doesn’t have root/randomized dungeons like the root chalices from Bloodborne

i don’t think i’ve ever heard anyone say anything good about them and everyone complains about the asset reuse but they generate cool, interesting layouts with lots of traps and secrets…and while bloodborne is a gorgeous game it’s not like it’s without asset reuse and kind of mediocre areas in the main game

citation needed

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

verbal enema posted:

That catacomb loving sucks and I hate it

Yes, exactly

Oxxidation posted:

:hai:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:same:

all those shitholes did was train me to reflexively look at walls behind me after i walked into a room because they loooved having tiny gargoyle fuckers ambush you from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Well played, Creative Assembly, well played.