Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm definitely going to update my component "to buy" list from the last time I was going to buy a new computer and then simply didn't (2020). This morning it booted up totally fine, no weird auto-reboots. And quicker than the previous drive - so I was imagining that one, at least. Hopefully it holds, but my hand will be forced anyway when Win10 stops getting updates next year since this computer's too old to upgrade to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm definitely going to update my component "to buy" list from the last time I was going to buy a new computer and then simply didn't (2020). This morning it booted up totally fine, no weird auto-reboots. And quicker than the previous drive - so I was imagining that one, at least. Hopefully it holds, but my hand will be forced anyway when Win10 stops getting updates next year since this computer's too old to upgrade to 11.

Yeah, it's possible to load 11 on older machines with some registry tweaks but it's not going to be recommended since it's an unsupported configuration and it may at any time stop getting updates, which is what will happen to 10. Putting some cash away every month for a while can help if you're planning an upgrade soon and the prices all seem out of reach ($100 a month, maybe?)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Yeah, I'll start budgeting for it. Money is indeed the reason why I've dallied so long in upgrading my computer but tbh I can afford it even if it's a little uncomfortable. Doable, though, and worth it. The good thing is this current system is so old even a budget modern build will be an enormous upgrade. I mean I'm running an i5-750 at the moment. 😬

Props to SH/SC cause the core components in my build were the recommended price/performance sweet spot here back in 2009 and they have lasted a long time and served me well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Safe to say the 24" monitor I bought in 2013 that is throwing up a "No Signal" message despite switching cables (and also using a DisplayPort cable from my other screen that worked) means it has thoroughly poo poo the bed and has embraced the long sleep?

Not too fussed honestly, I didn't even realise I'd had it 11 years. Pretty good run for it's money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Safe to say the 24" monitor I bought in 2013 that is throwing up a "No Signal" message despite switching cables (and also using a DisplayPort cable from my other screen that worked) means it has thoroughly poo poo the bed and has embraced the long sleep?

Not too fussed honestly, I didn't even realise I'd had it 11 years. Pretty good run for it's money.

Gonna go with yes it’s dead Jim.