Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
is there a list of unspoken rules anywhere? walked into the clubhouse with my clubs and that's apparently a no no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

is there a list of unspoken rules anywhere? walked into the clubhouse with my clubs and that's apparently a no no

Usually there is a sign for this, but yeah that's why they have bag stands outside.

Stodgier and private clubs may also make a fuss about wearing hats of sunglasses inside.

Then of course you've got "appropriate attire"

Here's a video
all new golfers should probably watch.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Usually there is a sign for this, but yeah that's why they have bag stands outside.

Stodgier and private clubs may also make a fuss about wearing hats of sunglasses inside.

Here's a video

Nobody wants a bunch of people dragging their bags around inside taking up extra space and knocking poo poo over.

Most of the unspoken stuff really falls around "appropriate attire". If I'm playing somewhere "nicer" either on my own dime or invited by someone I check the course's website to see if they have any attire requirements. Some courses still have things in place like "no black socks with shorts", which should be a universal sartorial rule but I digress, shirts must be tucked in, "no cover under cover" as mentioned above. Some courses have rules against changing your shoes in the parking lot. Most of these rules don't apply to your normal mid-week municipal course.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Here's a video

oh yeah, in my case there wasn't any signs or bag stands. but they were cool about it, just let me know for next time. and it wasn't a bag, just clubs in a sling.

in other news, I'm starting to get consistent with my ranges and they're going up by club as they should

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
does attaching even work these days

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Your swingspeed isn't high based on the distances and past comments, but your 5 iron is noticeably longer than your 7 iron, so your swing technique is probably decent, as most new players (incl me til recently) have the "nothing goes further than my 6/7 iron" problem.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Your swingspeed isn't high based on the distances and past comments, but your 5 iron is noticeably longer than your 7 iron, so your swing technique is probably decent, as most new players (incl me til recently) have the "nothing goes further than my 6/7 iron" problem.

That might be mostly because of my new practice strategy. I did a very analytical session with only 30 balls with a lot of rest between every shot, and I was recording alternating angles, down the line and front. After 4 balls I would stop, look at the videos while I still remembered how each shot went and then adjusted for the next ones, trying to fix the obvious flaws I noticed on them. I moved up each club and stopped on the 5i specifically to solve that club length issue, had I circled back to shorter irons I believe they would have been more in line with the 5.

This is with my set of low flying heavier shafts (XP 115 R300) with mizuno ez forged heads. I want to see how the Rogue X with kbs 90 max shafts will perform after I'm getting my technique down.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I've been taking a "Get Golf Ready" group class at my local muni. Its a 5 day thing for $99 that includes a voucher for a small basket of balls every day for a month and one 9-hole round with cart, so its a pretty good deal imo. This class only has three people in it, and today the other two folks didn't show up, so I got an hour and a half 1:1 lesson. My instructor was worried I was going to reinjure myself based on what he saw on the first two days, and holy cow, i was just an entire basket of youtube swing tips all taken to the extreme. After an hour I was hitting my 7 iron a repeatable 150-160 with maybe 6 being a draw, 2 being straight, and 2 being a top or thin.

These numbers are miles better than where I was a day ago. Now I've got to cement these changes so I don't revert to my old ways.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Some courses still have things in place like "no black socks with shorts"

Some courses have rules against changing your shoes in the parking lot.

:what:

Yeah, our county has like six really nice championship muni courses I think I値l just stick to those lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Interesting.

I don't intend to spend any money on more clubs just yet (Someone quote this post when I kramer into the thread next with my latest purchase. I'm giving it 2 months - who wants over who wants under?)

Didn't last 2 weeks. Late night online clearance shopping struck again and

5 and 7 wood.

I decided I wanted to compare them to a 3 and 4 Hybrid.

I offer in my defense the first 10 shots I ever took with the 7 wood.

I can't really argue with the dispersal patterns. Much tighter than the hybrids. I know there's trade offs on the course so I'll have to real world test it, but it looks promising.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat where are you getting those and what are the discounts to cause these impulse purchases? I might need to get a bit more gear soon

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Didn't last 2 weeks. Late night online clearance shopping struck again and

5 and 7 wood.

I decided I wanted to compare them to a 3 and 4 Hybrid.

I offer in my defense the first 10 shots I ever took with the 7 wood.

I can't really argue with the dispersal patterns. Much tighter than the hybrids. I know there's trade offs on the course so I'll have to real world test it, but it looks promising.

7wood is my favorite club right now out of the rough when i have 160+ and a clear-ish line of sight to where i need to get to. it goes, goes straight unless you REALLY hit it off the heel or toe and can get lofted even through some thicc grass.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

drat where are you getting those and what are the discounts to cause these impulse purchases? I might need to get a bit more gear soon

I'm going to do a megapost on the cost breakdown of buying used jdm equipment through proxy buying services once my clubs arrive. I don't want to make claims about total cost until I have the goods in hand to provide photos. It is promising so far though.

Carth Dookie posted:

IIRC you are in Australia? If so are your distances in yards or meters. Dispersion looks great regardless.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

From my last indoor session. It takes a lot of skill to be this precise on your impact location.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GEMorris posted:

IIRC you are in Australia? If so are your distances in yards or meters. Dispersion looks great regardless.

Metres and yes AU. Those are carry distances.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 2, 2024

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

xsf421 posted:

From my last indoor session. It takes a lot of skill to be this precise on your impact location.

little chili dipper there

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

They call my club face 7-Eleven because that thing is open 24/7.

On the plus side, I learned a ton about my swing today. It痴 wild how a swing with the correct(ish) technique feels so much more effortless, but goes so much farther.

Zen rear end sport.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The weirdest thing about fixing your slice is that when the ball is going right but in a straight line, you know you're halfway there.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

GEMorris posted:

The weirdest thing about fixing your slice is that when the ball is going right but in a straight line, you know you're halfway there.

If only I can get my driver to go right but straight. It goes right but then more right. I知 not even using it right now really, I値l just hit 3w off the tee. And it値l still go 200+ but straight, if I知 not deep inside my head on the tee box. (Having some yips off the tee box lately)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Golf sucks.

Played 18 this morning. Tried to put into practice what I worked on during my lesson and range sessions earlier in the week, and it was like I'd never swung a club before. On the good side, my driver averaged 233 which is great for me.

And this course's back nine was three par 3s, three par 4s, and three par 5s. I love it, they should all be like that

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Omne posted:

Golf sucks.

Played 18 this morning. Tried to put into practice what I worked on during my lesson and range sessions earlier in the week, and it was like I'd never swung a club before. On the good side, my driver averaged 233 which is great for me.

And this course's back nine was three par 3s, three par 4s, and three par 5s. I love it, they should all be like that

It takes a lot of practice and reinforcement to get lessons to stick. You just have to put in the practice time and there is no way around it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

Golf sucks.

Fossil Trace, one of my "regular" courses, has that layout on the back. I agree, I prefer 3x3x3 as the layout.

As for me, the strength of my game has long been my putting. Playing alternate rounds on an incredibly slow course with oversanding and an incredibly fast course with top-dressed seeds has killed my scoring. But, I fixed my terrible chipping and have fingers crossed for nice rolling greens soon

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I just booked a Monday lesson with a local guy that a few people I know have recommended. I started golfing 10 years ago and was entirely self taught just by watching a lot of YouTube and playing/practicing a ton. Over the years I've tried a couple other teachers in the area but only did 1 lesson with each of them because I wasn't very impressed, so we'll see how this one goes.

So far this season my game from 150 yards and in is working great but for some reason my swing with longer clubs is very very hosed up. My driver normally carries 250-270 on a good swing depending on wind, how much I've played, etc. but so far this year I'm getting like 220 max. My swing speed on practice swings is in the 105-110 mph range but as soon as I actually try to hit a ball it drops to 90-95. The courses I play are on the shorter side, and I'm hitting almost every fairway, so my scoring hasn't actually been impacted that much, but I've got to get this fixed now before the skins matches and tournaments really get going.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Best sim session I've ever had

That was my first hole. One of the best drives I've ever hit followed by the best 6 I ever hit. +1 through 3 holes. Unheard of.

Then the trackman failed and lost connection and I lost the round.

Even sim golf is under the dominion of the golf gods.

Also if you get the chance play Lofoten links on the trackman, do it. It's like playing golf in Narnia.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 4, 2024

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After weeks of analyzing my swing, I got to a swing form that I really like and is very pretty with good posture, finishing tall and all that. Putting it to practice on the sim I had the worst session of my short golfing career. Couldn't hit the ball for poo poo and even hits that felt sorta good were way shorter compared to the driving range. At least with the videos I could sorta see that the issue might have been a seriously worn hitting mat that was like hitting on a very tight lie. I could see my club bouncing on it and seriously losing speed and direction even when I hit the ball first. Might stick to the driving range or maybe I'll just tee up even my iron shots.

My form was great though!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Looking good is half the battle!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like changing my swing plane might be the most disruptive change I could do after finding the ball with a much steeper one. I was doing pretty much a full swing pitch with all clubs scrunched over the ball, which probably was limiting my swing speed and power. this new swing feels a lot less restricted, now I just need to find the ball again

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hit an actual open range today for the first time since my sim training. My sister called out of the blue and asked to go after previously bailing. So I got to take her for her first ever swings and also take the chance to see if the ball flights I've seen on the trackman are actually real for me.

She was entertained and popped some 100 yard drives for laughs and I was delighted to discover that I actually could send some balls down a real range competently and gave me some confidence in the sim results. A pretty good day.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

I feel like changing my swing plane might be the most disruptive change I could do after finding the ball with a much steeper one. I was doing pretty much a full swing pitch with all clubs scrunched over the ball, which probably was limiting my swing speed and power. this new swing feels a lot less restricted, now I just need to find the ball again

I got so shallow and with so much forward shaft lean at setup that I've been having to go the other direction to get more scrunched. Golf is a land of contrasts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It finally happened. The course is open, available for play and I had a tee time. 50-56 degrees during the round, sunny or overcast. I cancelled.

35-40 mph winds constant, with gusts up to 75mph. I decided to go home and keep an eye on my hot tub lid, and the chicken run and just think about golf instead.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

My back spasms and follow on pain were managed well with 600mg Motrin 3x a day, taken with Gatorade. Heating pad and hot tub. 3 weeks, you'll make it, but extend the overall recovery time by golfing.

Update: Back/leg pain is mostly gone, I'd say I'm back to 95%. I can finally sleep through the night and have little to no pain on a daily basis so the muscle relaxers/anti inflamatory meds are working. Thank goodness!

Clubs are currently en route to Paynes Valley where they will be waiting for us for our first round wednesday afternoon at Ozark National! I will not have touched a club in a month for that first round so ample time on the range beforehand will be needed to see if I remember how to swing a club lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

It finally happened. The course is open, available for play and I had a tee time. 50-56 degrees during the round, sunny or overcast. I cancelled.

35-40 mph winds constant, with gusts up to 75mph. I decided to go home and keep an eye on my hot tub lid, and the chicken run and just think about golf instead.
yeah today suuuuucks in denver, was gonna play 9 this afternoon but i almost blew away walking the dog so I cancelled it