Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I live outside of Cincinnati and most of our land here consists of some topsoil and horrible, horrible clay. This, combined with the fact I live near nothing resembling a hill of any sort makes my yard a nice swampy mess. The previous owners of this place "tried" to make it drain a bit better but they either didn't care all that much or just couldn't muster the willpower to do something more than dig a 3"wx12"d trench. Needless to say it fills with leaves and is generally useless.

We have a very large ditch in our front yard for drainage, its roughly 3 - 4 feet deep and that is where I will get my drop from. My plan is to re-route part of the current trench as I will be hopefully building a garage this year and it would run through the foundation. I will be taking this trench down to the main drainage ditch, overall elevation change should be about 3 -4 feet deep. I plan on keeping a 12" wide trench and lining the bottom with commercial grade landscape fabric, 1-2" of gravel, then 4" drain tile (either wrapped with a "sock" or the fabric) and then several more inches of gravel then the topsoil. This should provide us with roughly 2 feet of drop over about 250 feet.

We are pretty much doing this by hand because I have willing friends and I am cheap. Anyone have advice on a better method or a flaw in my plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Sup Cincinnati drainage problem bro :hfive: I have the same soil, but the hills too. This is one part helpful, 2 parts unhelpful, creating little streams of the neighborhood's drainage along each side of my house in anything but the lightest rain.
One thing you might want to add, especially if that ditch tends to fill in heavy rain, is a check valve. Without one, you may end up channeling water toward your house if that ditch ever gets deep enough.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If you're going to put a check valve outdoors, then you'd better think up a good way to service it. If anything gets in that valve's seal, then it won't be able to prevent backflow. That and I don't know if you'd be able to create enough flow pressure to open the valve in the first place.

• Locked thread