Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
And no clipping or displacement, ie you can't walk thru units or shove em out of your way. Where units don't get stuck and move aroudn each other nicely. I was thinking of this cuz of the issues with Pillars of Eternity. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Ragg posted:

And no clipping or displacement, ie you can't walk thru units or shove em out of your way. Where units don't get stuck and move aroudn each other nicely. I was thinking of this cuz of the issues with Pillars of Eternity. Thanks.

I ran into some guys who implemented a really cool collaborative pathfinding engine for Pac-Man: http://ramblingsofagamedevstudent.blogspot.com/2013/11/for-my-honours-project-this-year-at.html.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ragg posted:

not really, i think most devs view bad pathfinding as a feature at this point

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was going to say Chrono Trigger but I remembered the bit where you have a fourth party member briefly and that cat the Millennial Fair.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Krotera posted:

I ran into some guys who implemented a really cool collaborative pathfinding engine for Pac-Man: http://ramblingsofagamedevstudent.blogspot.com/2013/11/for-my-honours-project-this-year-at.html.

Oh yeah collab pathfinding is cool, also I saw a thing that used time as the 3rd dimension.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
lemme go research this for you OP *walks around his computer desk for ten hours*

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

pixelbaron posted:

lemme go research this for you OP *walks around his computer desk for ten hours*

You need other moving objects in the picture.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ragg posted:

You need other moving objects in the picture.
*pixelbaron's 16 cats all get lost trying to access the YOSPOS cat thread*

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

FactsAreUseless posted:

*pixelbaron's 16 cats all get lost trying to access the YOSPOS cat thread*

*gets stuck on on the edge of a pile of garbage in his room and continues his run cycle while vibrating in place*

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wololo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the idea is that you'll pause the game, make your units take a step, pause the game, make your units take a step, etc until they are all in the proper spot in the battle

its good and fun OP

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krotera posted:

cool

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
starcraft 2 spent a ridiculous amount of time on a movement engine to make sure things aren't clipping together/legs are touching the ground/etc

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

starcraft 2 spent a ridiculous amount of time on a movement engine to make sure things aren't clipping together/legs are touching the ground/etc

i was about to say sc2

however the air units clip into eachother in very gross ways

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

theres no such thing as good pathfinding, even irl

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

A gif of Rufus throwing up while watching the SC2 aircrafts clip into each other would be awesome.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the reason for that is because people are huge fuckhead babies and didn't like the idea of not being able to do mutalisk/other air unit balls like in sc1

so they had to intentionally gently caress up the code to make it work like sc1

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
The A* algorithm is kind of an industry standard at this point. AI can generally pre-calculate the entire map grid and where they can and can't go with it. Unfortunately it can be really computationally expensive and would cause huge slowdowns if fully-optimized. So its kind of a tradeoff between how fast your game runs and how optimized the pathfinding is.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Some p good pathfinding here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dragon Age Origins.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's funny, Bioware did everything right when it came to AI pathing and camera in that game, but hosed everything else, and obsidian did the opposite.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Goat posted:

the reason for that is because people are huge fuckhead babies and didn't like the idea of not being able to do mutalisk/other air unit balls like in sc1

so they had to intentionally gently caress up the code to make it work like sc1

*woots softly*

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

supreme commander 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA2epda-RkM

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

this is beautiful

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's funny, Bioware did everything right when it came to AI pathing and camera in that game, but hosed everything else, and obsidian did the opposite.

yeah

• Locked thread