Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Barely a week after Dusty Rhodes died, the Nature Boy is dead. Unbelievable

quote:

WWE is saddened to learn of the passing of William Ansor, aka “Nature Boy” Buddy Landel.

Landel made his in-ring debut in 1979, performing in regional promotions before signing in 1985 with the NWA’s Jim Crockett Promotions. With flowing blond locks, glittering robes and WWE Hall of Famer J.J. Dillon in his corner, Landel set his sights on then-NWA World Champion “Nature Boy” Ric Flair. Though he left Crockett Promotions by the end of the year, Landel left his mark, defeating Terry Taylor at Starrcade 1985 to capture the NWA National Championship.

Landel continued to compete in various promotions in Tennessee and Alabama, then returned to the NWA in 1990 to face off with Flair in a “Battle of the Nature Boys,” before moving on to compete in Smoky Mountain Wrestling. He also made brief appearances in WWE in 1995 and 1996.

WWE extends its condolences to Landel’s family, friends and fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
this is extremely misleading, and for that, i respect you.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

rip davidreid flair never forget

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Dude.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hey la hey laaaaaaaaa

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dude was in a car crash, checked himself out against doctor's orders and died that night in his sleep :smith:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Rip Counterfeit Naitch

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Luigi Thirty posted:

hey la hey laaaaaaaaa

Chris Benoit killed my family

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
but buddy rogers been dead for years

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

His death made me check the other Nature Boys' wiki bios, and I just learned from Rogers' that we were apparently pretty close to seeing "Natural Guy" Ric Flair.

Natural Guy sounds like it should've been a Flair ripoff character in an unlicensed video game

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 23, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
JJ Dillon has managed 2/3rds of the Nature Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiWKdvYQ7oQ

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
You know, it's not known which one of Flair and Landell was the first to appropriate the Nature Boy gimmick -- they both started using it around the same time without any knowledge of the other one

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

KungFu Grip posted:

Not that Nature Boy, the other one. No, the other other one.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Thought Flair had died and nearly poo poo my pants. I couldn't handle him and Dusty in the same week.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is there some context to "Nature" that makes it a good wrestling nickname? Is it an offshoot of being a "natural" at something, or what? It always seemed a weird name to me that so many big names used it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nature Boy is an old jazz standard about 1940s hippies. Buddy Rogers used it and everyone since is a knockoff, including Flair who won it in a match against Rogers I think?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Either Buddy Landel was set to win the NWA World Championship from Ric Flair in 1985, or Buddy Landel wrote his own Wikipedia page.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
One day this thread will actually be about Flair and that makes me very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

Either Buddy Landel was set to win the NWA World Championship from Ric Flair in 1985, or Buddy Landel wrote his own Wikipedia page.

It's something I've heard a few people claim, I believe that includes Jim Cornette.

Here's a great Buddy Landell promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfCpjgcnLfs

What could have been.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 23, 2015

• Locked thread