Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but Evil Dead 2 is like a perfect movie in so many ways. The effects in that film are so much more convincing than the shiny CG blood of modern film. It seems insane to me that someone would prefer the latter.

Raimi's style is a major turn-off for some, so that's a possibility. Some people really don't like that Looney Tunes tone mixed with blood and gore. I guess its like chicken and waffles, some people just get confused by the idea and never give it a fair shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kinda off topic, but I just started off my Haloween time horror watching by binge watching Black Mirror.

.... Feeling kind of disturbed right now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've seen some people classify Bone Tomahawk as horror, in fact I saw it because it was classified as horror, but I'd just call it a gory western in the vein of The Proposition. Aside from the one live bisection scene the gore isn't even all that crazy.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if Gremlins counts as horror but that's what I'm watching right now. Later it's Halloween time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went to see Claudio Simonetti's Goblin live score Dawn of the Dead last night. Oh wow, it was so good. They were so incredibly tight with the timing, and they play really loud (so don't expect to hear any dialogue when there's live music). Even if the film doesn't make you jump, the score suddenly coming to life will. Great experience. Also bought one of the Profondo Rosso boxsets on the provision that Claudio signed it, which he was happy to do, so got to meet the man himself. Well worth the money, and makes me hate that I missed them doing Suspiria last year (and conversely my friend who got to see that hates me because I got to see DOTD this time round).

Speaking of Suspiria, people aren't wrong when they talk about the visuals. I think if I'd seen it on one of my bootleg VHS' in the 90s then I don't think I would've 'gotten it'. It's such an astoundingly beautiful film (due to it being one of the last films shot on Technicolor) and the Goblin soundtrack is so good when played really loud out of a big sound system, that the blu-ray version is the only way to see it at home. Don't do it a disservice by watching on an old DVD transfer or something.

Calico Heart posted:

Having a problem in that i'm not finding too many horror movies scary. Absolutely loved The Babadook and It Follows but the former I didn't find too spooky and the latter didn't even make me nervous. What are the best horror movies on either netflix or netflix UK?

I know this feeling. I personally hated Babadook (I liked the concept, but there was so much of it I didn't like that I didn't enjoy it one bit), but It Follows is one of those rare films that gave me real chills. The first hour or so anyway. I think up until the point they go to the beach, where it gets a little repetitive, I was tense as all hell.

Going to see The Blair Witch Project on my own for the first night it showed here in 99 was great, when I got home my lightbulb blew and so I just couldn't find any light. That film stuck with me all nigh.

Staying at my parents' a few years ago and watching that leak of Paranormal Activity on my laptop at 2am in my childhood room with really good headphones was amazing. Knowing that the day was 'safe' but as soon as it went to nighttime, anything could happen... so, so good. [rec] had me putting my hands over my eyes in the cinema during one of the latter scenes, I loved that film so much and keep meaning to watch Quarantine as I heard it was actually a legitimate effort.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went to see Claudio Simonetti's Goblin live score Dawn of the Dead last night. Oh wow, it was so good. They were so incredibly tight with the timing, and they play really loud (so don't expect to hear any dialogue when there's live music). Even if the film doesn't make you jump, the score suddenly coming to life will. Great experience. Also bought one of the Profondo Rosso boxsets on the provision that Claudio signed it, which he was happy to do, so got to meet the man himself. Well worth the money, and makes me hate that I missed them doing Suspiria last year (and conversely my friend who got to see that hates me because I got to see DOTD this time round).

I am unbelievably jealous.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
A couple years back I got to see the full original Goblin perform, and they played tons of songs from a variety of films, including their DotD score. Though what really brought the house down was Susperia. Man that soundtrack is amazing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goblin's in the top 3 to 5 live bands i've ever seen

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
You guys are making me jealous. I'd sell my first born son to see Goblin live.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Watrick posted:

You guys are making me jealous. I'd sell my first born son to see Goblin live.

their two US tours did really drat well (it was originally supposed to just be one tour, but demand was so high that they swung back around immediately after), so i really hope they do it again. they've also got a new album out which i haven't heard yet.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anybody catch that TCM double feature of the English and Spanish versions of Dracula? I went to that last night (literally me and the person I went with were the only ones in the theater. Not even the ticket booth knew about it) and the Spanish version is clearly the superior version, only the actual Dracula is no Bela.

Why exactly did they do this morning/evening split version of a movie production and not for any of the other monster movies? Also, why the gently caress is the English version so stripped down? It almost seems like entire scenes are missing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anybody catch that TCM double feature of the English and Spanish versions of Dracula? I went to that last night (literally me and the person I went with were the only ones in the theater. Not even the ticket booth knew about it) and the Spanish version is clearly the superior version, only the actual Dracula is no Bela.

Why exactly did they do this morning/evening split version of a movie production and not for any of the other monster movies? Also, why the gently caress is the English version so stripped down? It almost seems like entire scenes are missing.
I went and saw it with my brother, who slept through most of the Spanish version. I suspect they wanted to change out the set as soon as possible so finishing filming on both as quickly as possible was probably the reason.

I admittedly hadn't seen either version before, both seem pretty cut down in comparison to the Hammer or Francis Ford Coppola versions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone know anything about the movie Freaks of Nature? I guess it opens today and I've never heard of it. It looks stupid but I kind of want to see it because I'm an idiot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Halloween.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Happy Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fZpH2QsUhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MDDGy0eOTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOtEdhKOMgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrtcAHhOVXQ

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

All awesome. That Ministry song is boss though. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of Ministry, but I'm a sucker for synth pop.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween: Resurrection is finishing up on SyFy right now and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Busta Rhymes doing kung-fu with high-pitched yells is the best worst thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Closed out the month with Halloween. I hadn't seen it in years. It struck me how simple of a story it is. Of course the standard slasher format wasn't really a thing at the time and it's been ripped off ever since, but it's interesting how little rhyme or reason there is behind Michael's actions (until they retconned them later). He's just an evil guy in a mask with a car and a knife.

One part that stood out for me was when after Michael kills Bob, he puts the sheet over his head as well as Bob's glasses. Why? He's got a naked girl cornered in a bedroom and then this escaped mental patient serial killer has the presence of mind to play a goofy trick on a girl before murdering her. It's just such an odd scene in an otherwise straight-forward slasher.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's partly because he has this odd fascination with disguising himself and also an almost child-like attempt to disguise himself as the boyfriend to get closer to her. His mind isn't... right, but he's still attempting deception, on an almost instinctive level. It's really creepy.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's partly because he has this odd fascination with disguising himself and also an almost child-like attempt to disguise himself as the boyfriend to get closer to her. His mind isn't... right, but he's still attempting deception, on an almost instinctive level. It's really creepy.

And he always kills while wearing a costume anyways: dressed as a clown when he kills his sister, and wearing that Captain Kirk mask later. It suggests a person who has no real human identity of his own. The fact that he's referred to in the credits as "the Shape" reinforces this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah. The most distracting thing Laurie does fighting him is pull his mask off his face. There's no big deformity or anything underneath, he just doesn't like it, and acts like he's naked without a mask.

Also don't forget other quirks of Michael's. He sets up that tableau with the gravestone for no other reason than it looks nice. There's the sequence with the single handed stabbing where michael has to stop and admire his own impressive work of strength.

He's very deliberately painted to be deranged and without reasonable motive in the first film. The only reason we can tell that he goes after Laurie before 2 retcons the sister subplot is because she happened to be there first when he was looking. Seen in a vacuum, much of Halloween 1 paints a picture of pure madness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everything Loomis says about Michael in the first film is clearly to be taken as truth by the audience. As crazy as Loomis gets in the sequels, he's not saying that "there's nothing human left in him" lightly in the original film. All Michael is is pure evil, without apparent reason.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Yep. It's evil without ideology, reason, or purpose. Making it all the scarier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The things he does that follow a twisted, inhuman logic are just as scary as the murders. Why steal his sister's grave? Why set it up in someone's home? It clearly makes some kind of sense to him.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The things he does that follow a twisted, inhuman logic are just as scary as the murders. Why steal his sister's grave? Why set it up in someone's home? It clearly makes some kind of sense to him.

I always figured he just wanted to try his hand at interior decorating.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah. The most distracting thing Laurie does fighting him is pull his mask off his face. There's no big deformity or anything underneath, he just doesn't like it, and acts like he's naked without a mask.

He does have that weird half-closed eye thing going on, which seems like it was a prosthetic. It must have at least partially inspired Jason Voorhees' initial character design because he has the same thing.

The scene I mentioned also has a weird bit of dialogue from Bob that wouldn't fly today, where he says "First I rip your clothes off, then you rip my clothes off, then we rip Lindsay's clothes off", where Lindsay's the little girl. He's making a tacky joke obviously, but I immediately imagined the pearl-clutching if someone said that nowadays.

Also, that Nordic curse to explain his immortality in the later films is just weird as hell.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's tackier lines in recent movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

He does have that weird half-closed eye thing going on, which seems like it was a prosthetic. It must have at least partially inspired Jason Voorhees' initial character design because he has the same thing.

i just assumed that was the eye Laurie jabbed him with the clotheshanger in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

sticklefifer posted:

The scene I mentioned also has a weird bit of dialogue from Bob that wouldn't fly today, where he says "First I rip your clothes off, then you rip my clothes off, then we rip Lindsay's clothes off", where Lindsay's the little girl. He's making a tacky joke obviously, but I immediately imagined the pearl-clutching if someone said that nowadays.

Also, that Nordic curse to explain his immortality in the later films is just weird as hell.

I've always wondered if there was some sort of prosthetic on Tony Moran's face because when he goes to pull the Shatner mask back on, his forehead skin bunches up in a way that looks totally unnatural to me.

• Locked thread