Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, there's no reason that the episodic format has to come at the cost of progression. It's not an and/or situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Rinkles posted:

I like them, but not if they completely abandon any kind of progression.

Slayers is episodic in the same way that each weekend session of a long Dungeons and Dragons campaign is. Each episode wraps up a little adventure, but there's still progression towards a larger quest/plot. It's not completely disjointed standalone episodes like, I dunno, South Park or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah i had something like inspector gadget in mind when i wrote that (i don't actually know if there ever was any closure)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

AlternateNu posted:

Dirty Pair Flash
Escaflowne
Slayers

And I'm going to throw Boogiepop Phantom on there despite it technically being 2000. Same with Great Teacher Onizuka (1999-2000).

I remember reading years ago that there's, like, two different versions of Escaflowne, one more Shonen, and one more Shoujo. Is that correct, or did I hallucinate that diving too deep into Tvtropes or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those are the manga adaptations, although there was allegedly an attempt to make a FoxKids version which turned Van into more the main character and reduced Hitomi's role but it never got past the pilot stage iirc

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the manga adaptations, although there was allegedly an attempt to make a FoxKids version which turned Van into more the main character and reduced Hitomi's role but it never got past the pilot stage iirc

Had to double-check but it actually exists in totality... kinda. It's partially lost media, as there's parts of two episodes missing, but otherwise it had a full 23-episode run (some were skipped altogether). Also the same VA's as the "proper" English dub by Ocean, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 24, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Annath posted:

I remember reading years ago that there's, like, two different versions of Escaflowne, one more Shonen, and one more Shoujo. Is that correct, or did I hallucinate that diving too deep into Tvtropes or something?

If I recall, the movie was more...angsty/moody vs the anime. I think that's the one that's more shonen as well vs the anime proper.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How many versions are there?

Two Mangas, an anime, and a movie?

I guess I'm wondering which is the "original"/intended version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Three manga actually

The original is the anime TV series, everything is based off or around that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Features some great music

https://youtu.be/txi1CarJuS0?si=vuVm2OeBDz3AR5Iq

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Annath posted:

How many versions are there?

Two Mangas, an anime, and a movie?

I guess I'm wondering which is the "original"/intended version.

The first two manga were written simultaneously with the anime. (The anime was the original but due to production delays, the first manga's initial volumes came out first.) One was basically a battle series released in Shounen Ace. The second started releasing right as the anime was finally releasing. That was the shoujo adaptation serialized in Asuka Fantasy DX. The third manga was a mutli-artist collab of short stories released after the anime had finished. Neither is really comparable with the show. There was also a novelization released shortly after the anime in Newtype.

The localization of the anime in the West was a clusterfuck because the localizers wanted Van to be the main character, so they edited a lot of the Hitomi scenes and even released the second episode as the premiere just so they could get to the initial fight with the dragon first before going into all of Hitomi's emotional characterization. They also straight up cut out a lot of episodes that dealt with "taboo topics". IIRC as a kid, they eventually just never even broadcast the latter episodes (at least on Fox in the U.S.) because of how heavy everything gets.

The movie was released years later as a condensed reimagining of the show but with different plot beats and a much much much edgier tone. It isn't terrible but isn't as good as the series and fucks with the characters in a lot of weird ways.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Sounds what I'm hearing is to check out the original anime first, then maybe the manga if I liked the anime?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Hello again, everyone. This time I am looking for a one cour or shorter anime that has some sort of central mystery that is unraveled/deduced by the characters. Something like Everything Becomes F or Zaregoto: Kubikiri Cycle. It doesn't necessarily have to involve detectives or be a murder mystery, just something that involves theories/reasoning. A moody atmosphere is a plus.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Death Note is the obvious recommendation.

Shiki might hit the vibes you're looking for, though it's a lot more dark than moody.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Hello again, everyone. This time I am looking for a one cour or shorter anime that has some sort of central mystery that is unraveled/deduced by the characters. Something like Everything Becomes F or Zaregoto: Kubikiri Cycle. It doesn't necessarily have to involve detectives or be a murder mystery, just something that involves theories/reasoning. A moody atmosphere is a plus.
odd taxi? its about a taxi driver being caught up in a small-time conspiracy just due to the customers that happen to pass through his taxi. its a few subplots that slowly get pieced together as the show goes on. the main character is more along for the ride since hes just a normal guy but he pieces together the thrust of things as the story goes on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erased, maybe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Giant Robo has exactly what you'd want!!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Already watched Odd Taxi, it was great. Seen Death Note too, it's neat but not really a mystery type of show from the viewers perspective.

Heard mixed things about Erased, is it any good?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

If you're OK with gore, "Another" is a really good mystery.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rinkles posted:

so this is gonna be broad, but please recommend me some 90s shows. i'm in the mood for traditional cel animation.

since i can't list everything relevant i've seen, here's the bigger stuff off the top of my head

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

i just want to hear about shows you think are worth watching from that era

His and Her Circumstances
Marmalade Boy

Love me some 90s shojou

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

erased is decent. the mystery falls a bit apart if you think about it too long and some of the emotional moments work and some dont, but its worth one watch through if you like that sort of thing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Erased was good, but I think the manga worked better. Dusk Maiden is a bit similar in that regard so check out the manga as well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mouryou no Hako

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Tales of Woe posted:

Mouryou no Hako

This looks to be exactly the sort of thing I was looking for from the synopsis, thank you!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

:thunk: Paranoia Agent? Monster?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Heard mixed things about Erased, is it any good?

very fun mystery until the mystery is actually revealed/you figure it out via basic process of elimination on important named characters and then it's just fine

very much worth the ride. the mystery isn't anything you're going to think back on and go "oh that was clever" at, but the premise and investigation is great

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

SexyBlindfold posted:

:thunk: Paranoia Agent? Monster?

Seen Paranoia Agent, was fantastic, but definitely not primarily a mystery show.

Monster is like an 80+ episode behemoth and I am not sure I am willing to commit to something of that size. Looking for something on the shorter side.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
ACCA is as much a travelogue of the fictional country it takes place in as a slow unraveling of the royal secrets and government conspiracy at its core, so may or may not quite fit your ask. The tone is pretty varied, not singularly moody. There's also series like Balance Unlimited and ID Invaded with larger mysteries threaded around more episodic ones, if those count.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read ACCA recently and was a bit disappointed. “Cozy conspiracy thriller” was perhaps not the mood I wanted

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I love Natsume Ono's art but there's a lot to be gained from adapting it to anime. Anime food/backgrounds/smoking etc looks so good 😍 and all that sort of thing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, looking into the Escaflowne stuff now that I'm home from work, apparently the super edgy, violent, and ecchi manga was created based on the plot concepts and character designs the anime was originally going have. It was created while the anime's production was on hold, and when the anime resumed they drastically shifted the style/concept.

So its completely by chance that the anime ended up not having "a violent saga focused primarily on fighting and Hitomi transforming into a "curvaceous nymph" that is the power source of the mecha Escaflowne."

lmao

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i read in an interview somewhere that g gundam started as an earlier iteration of escaflowne lol. they really just had a name and went through a bunch of completely different concepts before landing on what they made

edit: i can't find it now but it was an imagawa project in it's first iteration so maybe it was extrapolating from that + g gundam being his next show

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pluto?