Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

What's up with some of the media being barred from filming the press conference ot whatever they're doing right now

The press and their coverage of minority protest movements is rather complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If you're from or near the area, do your blood pressure a favor and don't read the Tribune comments on these (or any other) stories.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/some-mizzou-students-yik-yak-are-not-happy-about-presidents-resignation?cid=sm_tw_msnbc

The anguish of Yik-Yak shitheads sustains me. I can only imagine what Missouri S&T's looks like today.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crain posted:

Uh, excuse me, but you'll find that only SJWs dox people and are evil and ......

Reddit's particularly unbearable today, between this and the Yale thing. I posted about how the racial incidents are really only half the issue and that the president was also terrible when it came to academics and particularly his treatment of grad students.

Someone decided to put a downvote bot on me. Not just on that post, which went like -20 or something, but on all of my posts. I went to a test forum to check, instant negative comment score on a forum with no users and no active posts.

But it's the anti-racists who want to censor people.

pretty much everyone sucks. the reddit "omg reverse racism!" folks, the tumblr "get offended at everything" folks, everyone.

even us.

but at least in this case the right thing happened.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

If you're from or near the area, do your blood pressure a favor and don't read the Tribune comments on these (or any other) stories.

National sources are here to ensure you can't escape.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

@benshapiro: The University of Missouri Football Team Forced The President to Resign. It's Time to Cut College Football. https://t.co/Er3Xrobs8Q

@benshapiro: There is no case for taxpayer-funded college football programs. https://t.co/REb4oAey4q

@BuckSexton: @benshapiro thank you for writing this, was just saying same thing on air. Colleges are for studying, not semi-pro taxpayer funded sports

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nonsense posted:

National sources are here to ensure you can't escape.

Do it. :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Elephanthead posted:

The presidents only real job is getting alumni to donate money. Not sure how the new guy is going to end racism in Missouri. I wish them luck.

The new guy isn't going to end racism but presumably he'll take a different approach to it than "boys will be boys"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crain posted:

Reddit's particularly unbearable today, between this and the Yale thing. I posted about how the racial incidents are really only half the issue and that the president was also terrible when it came to academics and particularly his treatment of grad students.

The Yale thing seems pretty silly. Hadn't even heard about that until you mentioned it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

The Yale thing seems pretty silly. Hadn't even heard about that until you mentioned it.

yeah the yale thing is i think a case of people being way over-sensitive and blowing poo poo out of proportion.

blackface is not an appropriate costume. but lecturing people about cultural appropriation and then trying to get someone fired for writing a letter is not the right way to go about fixing things.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

yeah the yale thing is i think a case of people being way over-sensitive and blowing poo poo out of proportion.

blackface is not an appropriate costume. but lecturing people about cultural appropriation and then trying to get someone fired for writing a letter is not the right way to go about fixing things.

I wish one day we could get the university of missouri to a level where blackface and racist costumes are the worst problem people of color can face on campus

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

axeil posted:

the tumblr "get offended at everything" folks, everyone.

I kinda have a hard time getting too mad at this side of the coin. I'd much rather go too far in the right direction, than too far in the "let's go back to the 1930's and just gently caress everyone but Rich, White, Men" direction.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crain posted:

I kinda have a hard time getting too mad at this side of the coin. I'd much rather go too far in the right direction, than too far in the "let's go back to the 1930's and just gently caress everyone but Rich, White, Men" direction.

eh, i think the issue there is eventually you reach a point where you've gone beyond trying to fix inequality and get into groupthink and thought policing. their hearts are in the right place but they've echo-chambered themselves into some troubling areas. e.g. saying someone is a misogynist or rapist because they disagree with what the data is saying re: campus rape is not productive.

look at what happened in the uva rolling stone story. everyone was more than happy to go along with it because it met their preconceived narrative, but when the facts didn't line up it damaged the idea the writers were trying to advocate for.

ideology shouldn't dictate the truth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

two words are indispensable when weeding people out in cases like this:

'Harrison Bergeron'

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i'm still shocked that grad students actually accomplished some sort of admin change at a state university

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alaois posted:

two words are indispensable when weeding people out in cases like this:

'Harrison Bergeron'

why is that?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

axeil posted:

why is that?

It's a good story, if you haven't read it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crain posted:

It's a good story, if you haven't read it.

by good do you mean "will make me despair for humanity but raises important points about systemic inequality in modern america"?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

axeil posted:

by good do you mean "will make me despair for humanity but raises important points about systemic inequality in modern america"?

It's a short story by Kurt Vonnegut. So you can probably figure it out from there.

It's pretty short, I'd go read it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Peven Stan posted:

The turds in the Mizzou subreddit tried to dox me and some other guy who decided to comment. That site is basically the global headquarters for white guy grievance international

Are you aware of the rate of unreported domestic violence and rape against men?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tom Brady seen flying over the remains of the once University of Missouri.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

axeil posted:

eh, i think the issue there is eventually you reach a point where you've gone beyond trying to fix inequality and get into groupthink and thought policing. their hearts are in the right place but they've echo-chambered themselves into some troubling areas. e.g. saying someone is a misogynist or rapist because they disagree with what the data is saying re: campus rape is not productive.

look at what happened in the uva rolling stone story. everyone was more than happy to go along with it because it met their preconceived narrative, but when the facts didn't line up it damaged the idea the writers were trying to advocate for.

ideology shouldn't dictate the truth.

Tumblr would have me believe I'm a terrible person because a beautiful girl turning out to have a penis makes me no longer want to have sex with her :shrug:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BOY I SURE AM GLAD THE THREAD IS GOING IN THIS DIRECTION

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

yeah this got bad quick

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alaois posted:

Picturing smiling brawling Cam right now

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
By far the best part of the rally at the end was when Jonathan Butler told the crowd to raise their right hand, and seeing the crowd starting to raise fists he had to go "no no no, just like this *palm out*."

Could you imagine the loving poo poo show on Fox if he didn't immediately get a hold of that situation? I would say that exact moment is why they were wary of the media.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alaois posted:

Good point

Abort!(les)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

alpha_destroy posted:

By far the best part of the rally at the end was when Jonathan Butler told the crowd to raise their right hand, and seeing the crowd starting to raise fists he had to go "no no no, just like this *palm out*."

Could you imagine the loving poo poo show on Fox if he didn't immediately get a hold of that situation? I would say that exact moment is why they were wary of the media.

ESPN was showing the crowd swag surfing: https://twitter.com/NothingLikeIt15/status/663811924245815296

So I'm sure CNN will run with that scary footage later.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i'm still shocked that grad students actually accomplished some sort of admin change at a state university

they didn't, 'student athletes' did. in fact, this pretty much proves that athletes aren't students whatsoever, because student protests happen nonstop across every campus for decades, signifying nothing ; yet once some football players make a noise they're kowtowed to in less than a week

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Kalli posted:

ESPN was showing the crowd swag surfing: https://twitter.com/NothingLikeIt15/status/663811924245815296

So I'm sure CNN will run with that scary footage later.

O, fun fact, those heads you're behind, I'm a little to the left of them. I was a part of that particular section of the fence. I know because we were the only section that swag surfed. ...guess we didn't do as good a job blocking cameras as we had hoped.

Piggles
Oct 10, 2006

Wilson with the Hail Mary to Tate!

Crain posted:

It's a short story by Kurt Vonnegut. So you can probably figure it out from there.

It's pretty short, I'd go read it.

Read this poo poo in like middle school and it was one of the only things I took away from that time as important other than cumulus clouds are fluffy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

they didn't, 'student athletes' did. in fact, this pretty much proves that athletes aren't students whatsoever, because student protests happen nonstop across every campus for decades, signifying nothing ; yet once some football players make a noise they're kowtowed to in less than a week

but it was the grad students who got the footballers to protest in the first place. a lesson is to be learned here by grad students everywhere.

Piggles posted:

Read this poo poo in like middle school and it was one of the only things I took away from that time as important other than cumulus clouds are fluffy.

a substitute teacher in 5th grade read it to us and immediately after closing the book ended it with "this is what communism is like" and that was it for the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Football team part is over so goodbye thread that can only get terrible! See you in D&D

• Locked thread