Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Naet posted:

Coogler not getting a directing nod is really upsetting to me.

Yeah, creed was one of the few films I saw this year where you could see the vision of the director. It didn't feel like there were producers overseeing the film it felt like there was someone at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
After watching Creed, Rocky Balboa just feels like a wet fart to me. I can't even remember much from it other than the talk with his son and him meeting the girl from the original.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Balboa had the best boxing choreography of the series but then Creed came along and annihilated it so even though I remember being quite fond of it, yeah, it probably never needs to be seen again.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Mason Dixon, aka The Line, was a way better name for a villain than whatever the guy was in this one.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Uh guys, you should watch Rocky Balboa again because it's loving great.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Coffee And Pie posted:

Mason Dixon, aka The Line, was a way better name for a villain than whatever the guy was in this one.

ENGLISH ENGLISHMAN, THE ENGLISH GUY

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

ENGLISH ENGLISHMAN, THE ENGLISH GUY

He likes football

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ricky Conlan. I'm probably the only guy that remembers that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mason Dixon got taken the distance by a geriatric, that's loving embarrassing and better have killed his career.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/entertainment/tony-burton-dies-obit-feat/

:(

I really liked the dude in all the films. He really was a part of the Rocky Legacy. Rest in peace.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mason Dixon got taken the distance by a geriatric, that's loving embarrassing and better have killed his career.

A geriatric who is, within the narrative, literally the best boxer of all time. I think it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Managed to catch this last night, and while its a fine film I really don't get all the praise for it. Frankly, in every way I think "Rocky Balboa" is the superior film.

I much preferred the "romance" in Balboa, the touching friendship between Rocky and little Marie that in some films could have been creepy but Balboa made it very clear that Rocky still missed his wife and he wanted friends, not lovers. The romance in Creed? Two very pretty people meet and hook up, very very boring and has been done a thousand times.

The theme of old age was also better done in Balboa, with Rocky struggling to find contentment and pushing himself for one last fight. It ended perfectly for him, he banished his demons. They really didn't need to revisit that theme and even if Creed dealt with it ok, it didn't really add anything to the bigger story.

The final fight? Both were unrealistic in different ways but again I felt more from Rocky's fight in Balboa, it just worked better as the culmination of the films themes, of Rocky's fight with his demons. Creeds fight was fine again, but it didn't mean anything, he didn't earn it.

Most importantly of all, the training montage in Creed isn't in the same league as that of Balboa. It really wasn't memorable apart from the weird dirtbike thing, whereas in Balboa you start with the immortal "Lets build some hurting bombs" followed by a kickass brutal training regime.

Just my opinion of course, but I doubt I'll see Creed again, but I would watch "Rocky Balboa" every few months if I could.

• Locked thread