Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Kalli posted:

Israel tortured the head of orthopedics in Gaza's largest hospital to death over 4 months in captivity:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/prominent-gaza-doctor-dies-israeli-prison-2024-05-02/

While Israel is to blame for his death in captivity, I don't see how "tortured" is documented here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

While Israel is to blame for his death in captivity, I don't see how "tortured" is documented here?

quote:

Dozens of Palestinians who had been freed by Israel in past months including some staff of a U.N. agency have reported ill-treatment during detention, including torture and deprivation of food and sleep.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Torture has been widely reported by detainees and the IDF won't even release a cause of death for this guy. Seems like a reasonable conclusion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rust Martialis posted:

Someone beat me to it, but it's basically a given if you're a Palestinian person imprisoned by Israel.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

punishedkissinger posted:

Torture has been widely reported by detainees and the IDF won't even release a cause of death for this guy. Seems like a reasonable conclusion.

I mean it's going to be ignored by pro-Israel politicians anyhow, what's one more dead Palestinian to them

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Neo Rasa posted:

Someone beat me to it, but it's basically a given if you're a Palestinian person imprisoned by Israel.

Seeing as they're currently torturing two million people in Gaza, not sure why anyone would even question it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

For what theoretical reason would Hamas attack the pier? Is it supposed to be the thing about them stealing supplies again?

You do know Hamas hates the US just as much as it hates Israel right? Not everything is some big conspiracy.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Just gonna assume they cremate the body whenever they send it back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Hamas has bigger things to worry about than US/UK soldiers on a pier that is intended to bring food to Palestinians

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
What about the strategic Israeli controlled maritime route Netanyahu requested back in October?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
China recently hosted representatives from Hamas and Fatah for a talk about the shared future of Palestine. Seems they're stepping in where the US is consistently dropping the ball with Middle Eastern diplomacy as it becomes increasingly decrepit and insane. Not sure if there will be any substantive progress made, but it's clear there needs to be unity between Hamas and the West Bank resistance going forward.

Hamas is more popular in the West Bank than the PA at the moment, and Israel seems hellbent on destroying their only comprador, which can only make things worse for them in the long term. It's pretty clear that Hamas is going to remain in control of Gaza, but it's up in the air what shape the Palestinian resistance is going to take in the West Bank after Abbas dies.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

What about the strategic Israeli controlled maritime route Netanyahu requested back in October?

The day before in the Jerusalem Post linked to in that article:

“Despite Gallant’s spin, when the US announced the initiative last Thursday, sources close to the defense minister and multiple senior IDF sources were caught blindsided. It was unclear if they had no idea that the initiative was happening at all, or if it had been discussed theoretically at some point, and they only did not realize that the US had moved up the timetable.

It was hours before any Israeli defense official knew how to even respond to the question of what the US meant by “establishing a port.”

As of press time, the Prime Minister’s Office had not clarified whether it was in the loop or if the US had made the decision unilaterally.”

They’re full of poo poo and it’s internal spin to not look terrible inside Israel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

China recently hosted representatives from Hamas and Fatah for a talk about the shared future of Palestine. Seems they're stepping in where the US is consistently dropping the ball with Middle Eastern diplomacy as it becomes increasingly decrepit and insane. Not sure if there will be any substantive progress made, but it's clear there needs to be unity between Hamas and the West Bank resistance going forward.

Hamas is more popular in the West Bank than the PA at the moment, and Israel seems hellbent on destroying their only comprador, which can only make things worse for them in the long term. It's pretty clear that Hamas is going to remain in control of Gaza, but it's up in the air what shape the Palestinian resistance is going to take in the West Bank after Abbas dies.
This doesn’t surprise me, because while the destruction of Gaza has been ongoing there has been a ton of settler violence against Palestinians in the West Bank, and the PA can’t really do anything about it

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
The West Bank often gets overlooked, but in some ways living there as a Palestinian could be worse than living in Gaza (pre Oct 7, obviously). Before, in Gaza, you at least had relative freedom inside the open air prison, in the sense that you're not interacting with the IDF much at all. In the West Bank, every single day, every time you go through a checkpoint or have an interaction with an Israeli who has power over you, it's a gamble to whether you're merely deliberately inconvenienced, verbally abused, or whether you're kidnapped and tortured or killed. It's a different kind of constant stress but in some ways I'm sure you'd feel the boot on your neck even more than in Gaza. I really hope the liberation of the West Bank gets more attention with all this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Charliegrs posted:

You do know Hamas hates the US just as much as it hates Israel right? Not everything is some big conspiracy.

So to get this straight, you think the Qassam brigades will attack the pier feeding their people?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jaxyon posted:

So to get this straight, you think the Qassam brigades will attack the pier feeding their people?

Even some people in this thread are extremely sceptical that the pier will actually be used for anything good. Why would fighters in Gaza be more trusting of Biden's initiative?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Paladinus posted:

Even some people in this thread are extremely sceptical that the pier will actually be used for anything good. Why would fighters in Gaza be more trusting of Biden's initiative?

So you think that they're pre-attack it before it can do anything, or that they'll decide to attack it because it's not feeding enough of their supporters?

I'm really struggling to see the logic here that isn't "muslims be violent". Israel attacking makes sense, as they have along record of attacking things that help palestinians, but Hamas doesn't.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jaxyon posted:

So you think that they're pre-attack it before it can do anything, or that they'll decide to attack it because it's not feeding enough of their supporters?

I'm really struggling to see the logic here that isn't "muslims be violent". Israel attacking makes sense, as they have along record of attacking things that help palestinians, but Hamas doesn't.

I think they will see American soldiers as a legitimate target. Because they are soldiers. From America. Which is exactly what a high-ranking Hamas official said.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The pier is to feed them while still bombing them. Not ending the genocide. Hard to see America as being altruistic here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Paladinus posted:

I think they will see American soldiers as a legitimate target. Because they are soldiers. From America. Which is exactly what a high-ranking Hamas official said.

Can you source that quote?

hadji murad posted:

The pier is to feed them while still bombing them. Not ending the genocide. Hard to see America as being altruistic here.

It's not altruistic, that doesn't mean it's not going to feed people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really shouldn’t be surprised at this point but it’s not only sickening, it’s bad politics

https://twitter.com/mychaelschnell/status/1786155281862349040?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jaxyon posted:

Can you source that quote?

It's from the previous page.

https://apnews.com/article/hamas-kh...94%20he%20said.

quote:

“We categorically reject any non-Palestinian presence in Gaza, whether at sea or on land, and we will deal with any military force present in these places, Israeli or otherwise … as an occupying power,” he said.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

So a Hamas official said they'd see the US as occupiers, not that they'd attack a pier feeding their people. That quote reads as posturing.

I still don't get why you think that they'd attack it if it was supplying food. As I said, they have no history of that, while Israel has a huge history of that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jaxyon posted:

So a Hamas official said they'd see the US as occupiers, not that they'd attack a pier feeding their people. That quote reads as posturing.

I still don't get why you think that they'd attack it if it was supplying food. As I said, they have no history of that, while Israel has a huge history of that.

Who do you think will be manning the pier?

Are you really insisting that fighters in Gaza have no reason to attack American soldiers? Military personnel from the country that supports Israel by giving it billions in military aid?

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 3, 2024

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

the whole post is stupid but this part makes my head spin. This is like saying Jews shouldn’t have fought the Warsaw uprising because they might have been fed longer, and anyone cheering it on believes in the protocols of the elders book too

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think the bigger issue is that an attack on the pier by Hamas has zero strategic benefit and only provides cover for the US to actively partake in the war rather than just aid and abet Israel.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

If the pier does get attacked it's going to be a hot mess. You're going to get a lot of finger pointing from Israeli's claiming it's Hamas who hate Americans and Hamas claiming it's Israel because they don't want Palestinians to get aid. That press release seems perfectly primed to cast doubt on who the perpetrators are. Is there a full transcript of the interview anywhere?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really shouldn’t be surprised at this point but it’s not only sickening, it’s bad politics

https://twitter.com/mychaelschnell/status/1786155281862349040?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Are Democrats trying to lose? They just consistently make me even more disgusted with their conduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There is a clear security issue for the pier that needs be resolved from an American military perspective. That means either a) a Israeli security zone, rendering the idea of the peer as some sort of value add over the checkpoints as senseless, b) some variety of the us or its proxies effectively or literally have boots on the ground, which is inflammatory or c) no security and just wait for a flashpoint which is basically creating a new gulf of Tonkin type situation.

When the US military has a fleet week or an air show in America for a friendly crowd there is a security plan and security personnel for all kinds of wild and unlikely circumstances. The idea that the US military is going to be operating right next to, and in sight of Gaza, while effectively a belligerent in the war on Gaza, with no security - it’s always struck me as the most insane/unlikely aspect of this whole pier enterprise. There is either going to be very substantial security provided by someone or this is America begging for an excuse.