Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ntan1 posted:

itym the Tokyo Rinkai Kosoku Tetsudo Rinkai Line

i do now!

I guess the other thing this makes me want to do is at the end of the trip when I'm kind of out of steam and places to go, just pick a random station on this map, go there, and find some cool food or something around the area.

I probably posted this before but last time I went I did a lot of secondhand shopping for fun electronics and things so I basically did a tour of a metric ton of Hard Off stores outside of the touristy parts of Tokyo. Heading out to the boonies and walking 30 minutes to a lonely shop in the middle of nowhere was actually really cool, I saw a ton of neat areas, and I always managed to find an awesome rando restaurant for dinner as the day drew to a close and I was starting to head back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've been here for a long time but still find Shinjuku station confusing. I think part of it is because the naming of the exits is crap. Tokyo station OTOH is easy, you're either on the Yaesu side or Marunouchi side, and either street level or underground. Done.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
The type of station I hate the most is the kind where you can’t swap platforms once you’re inside the fare gate.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ikebukuro station is easy. It's the connected underground shopping arcades on the east side that are confusing.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
My wife and I arrived in Fukuoka yesterday, and we had a great time this evening. Just by chance it was a special day so there were parades, stages with dancers and singers, food stalls and more.

We had a great time drinking at a little bar but fell victim to a scam as we made friends with someone there who suggested a second location and we ended up paying for everything there and the prices were massively inflated. So, a) be warned and b) is there any thing else we need to be careful of in Japan while a bit drunk?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not really, that's the most common scam in Japan. If you use a taxi make sure the meter is running, though I've never had a taxi in Japan try that one on me.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Isn't it golden week? I thought the shinkansen was reserved seating mandatory even. Surprised you made it there without that being a consideration.

I too fell for the drinks somewhere else scam years ago. Luckily I caught the casual champagne order before it was poured and bounced before any big charges

Def got drugged though because I fell asleep in the hallway of my rental with a half eaten egg sandwich about 20min later. Trying to take my shoes off was too much it seems.

Sorry that happened to you but hopefully it wasn't too costly!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drink chuhais on the sidewalk for safety

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Is smoking indoors still as prevalent as it was 5+ years ago? It was nice last time when I was a still a smoker but now I am not and that isn't something I'm looking forward to. Curious if social attitudes have shifted.

It was bizarre to me that smoking outdoors seemed less common than smoking indoors even

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

root of all eval posted:

Is smoking indoors still as prevalent as it was 5+ years ago? It was nice last time when I was a still a smoker but now I am not and that isn't something I'm looking forward to. Curious if social attitudes have shifted.

It was bizarre to me that smoking outdoors seemed less common than smoking indoors even

No, it’s not. New regulations were introduced recently to restrict it. Some places still allow it, but they will mostly have explicit ‘smoking okay’ signs posted somewhere. The default is non-smoking.

That’s how it is in Tokyo at least.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

The Aguamoose posted:

My wife and I arrived in Fukuoka yesterday, and we had a great time this evening. Just by chance it was a special day so there were parades, stages with dancers and singers, food stalls and more.

We had a great time drinking at a little bar but fell victim to a scam as we made friends with someone there who suggested a second location and we ended up paying for everything there and the prices were massively inflated. So, a) be warned and b) is there any thing else we need to be careful of in Japan while a bit drunk?

Sorry to hear that :( I've heard of that in Japan, but always thought it was more a Tokyo/Osaka thing. If it's any consolation, it happens all over Asia.

Other than that just take normal precautions re: crossing streets, not falling into the train tracks, etc. Also, definitely don't drive if you've had any booze.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

root of all eval posted:

There's still a lot more smoking than you're used to in the US or something but much much less than there used to be. It is possible to go out for dinner and drinks and not reek afterward, praise be.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The Aguamoose posted:

I've never heard of this happening to a couple. How inflated are we talking here?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I've never heard of this happening to a couple. How inflated are we talking here?

It generally happens to singletons more frequently but bold scammers will target groups if everyone seems like they're pleasantly buzzed. If they notice there's one person at the table drinking only tea or water they move on pretty quick.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
We had to pay about 40,000 Yen. Now that the surprise has worn off it's obvious it could have been a lot worse and it hasn't taken the shine off our first couple of days at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Aguamoose posted:

We had to pay about 40,000 Yen. Now that the surprise has worn off it's obvious it could have been a lot worse and it hasn't taken the shine off our first couple of days at all.

It could’ve been worse, the yen could be stronger :v:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The BoJ helping to mitigate the damage done to scammed tourists by devaluing the poor yen

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

peanut posted:

drink chuhais on the sidewalk for safety

Honestly if an English speaker in Japan recommends a good place to drink and it's not a park with a convenience store nearby you are getting scammed.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Not blaming the original poster since in that specific case I could potentially see myself getting scammed (one of the very few times I’ve seen such a scam and thought "yeah that could have definitely, easily hit me"), but in general I’m surprised those scams still work on the street. Like even if someone recommends a place I’m going to google it and see if the photos look good and the Google maps rating is above 4.0.

But yeah if I was with my partner and already in a bar that we chose ourselves, and someone started chatting with us and suggested a place while barhopping, it is like 80% chance I would "fall" for that.

OTOH in Switzerland the two times I’ve had friends who were chatted up by strangers on the street before being invited to a restaurant, both times the stranger ended up paying for their entire meals (both were travelling as couples). In Fukoka especially I would have thought that outcome far more likely than the typical Roppongi style scam.

Anyway OP make sure to leave one star reviews everywhere you can for that bar.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Confirmed, make friends with jolly yakuza looking guys and they'll pay for everything

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
We've been lucky enough to be travelling since August, Mexico and South America before Christmas, India and South East Asia since then. We only flew into Fukuoka 2 days ago from Hanoi (so didn't have any shinkansen golden week issues as someone mentioned). The funny thing is we managed to avoid any problems everywhere else we've been, aside from what was probably an inept attempt to grab a phone in Chile. Because Japan's got a very safe reputation we probably just let our guard down a bit when we got here.

If before our trip started someone told us the worst thing that would happen would be spending far too much on a fun night out then we would have been very happy with that.

We did experience some cool Fukuoka hospitality earlier in the evening. The owner at one of the bars we went to had had one of the important roles in the previous year's parade and gave us both a special decorated and perfumed fan which commemorated the occasion.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Speaking of Fukuoka, I picked up a bottle of Hakata whiskey the other night as a treat to myself. Honestly, not as good as I was hoping (usually I really like sherry cask matured stuff, but this one is both a bit too sweet and a bit too smokey), but I didn't even know there was whiskey production going on at all in Kyushu.

Saladman posted:

see if the photos look good and the Google maps rating is above 4.0.

I think it was mentioned in this thread a month or two ago (and may be more a tabelog thing than Google), but Japan doesn't necessarily have the same score inflation the West does.

Eg a 3 out of 5 star place on tabelog is quite good, whereas in the US anything less than 4 is gonna be garbo-tier.

The Aguamoose posted:

We've been lucky enough to be travelling since August, Mexico and South America before Christmas, India and South East Asia since then.

That is pretty wild, because in my experience attempted scams/overcharging seem to be almost a daily occurance travelling SEA.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I think it was mentioned in this thread a month or two ago (and may be more a tabelog thing than Google), but Japan doesn't necessarily have the same score inflation the West does.

I checked a few places and looks like Tablelog was consistently around 0.5 to 1.0* lower than Google Maps. Like I went to Ramen Daisensou which was a perfectly serviceable but not good ramen place, and it's 4.0 on Google vs. 3.2 on Tablelog. I checked a handful of other places too, but I didn't like... write an API to check it at scale.

But yeah you're probably right, maybe 3.5* on Google Maps should be the floor of "absolute garbage warning, do not go here under any circumstance" in Japan, instead of 4.0 like it is in Europe and North America.

The Aguamoose posted:

If before our trip started someone told us the worst thing that would happen would be spending far too much on a fun night out then we would have been very happy with that.

Yeah that was a really subtle scam, and honestly if you never do stuff like that, then you probably would have missed out on a lot of good experiences, if you look back at every time you've ever talked to a stranger in your entire life. I have had a lot of good times meeting strangers and following them places, and so far have never been murdered or scammed anything worse than being charged double/triple/quadruple by taxis and souvenir sellers. Fukuoka while travelling with your partner seems like one of those places where having your guard up to the extent that you never talk to anyone has more likelihood of downsides than going with the flow. YMMV, but based on your travel experience and tone I guess that's also your approach to life.

Please do name and shame the bar though, they are in on the scam. I guess don't necessarily post it here since it semi-doxxes you if your google maps review name is even remotely unique, but do make a review about it so that other people can be more likely to avoid it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 4, 2024

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Speaking of Fukuoka, I picked up a bottle of Hakata whiskey the other night as a treat to myself. Honestly, not as good as I was hoping (usually I really like sherry cask matured stuff, but this one is both a bit too sweet and a bit too smokey), but I didn't even know there was whiskey production going on at all in Kyushu.

That's because it's aged shochu.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The thing with google maps in Japan is it has 4+ stars and you skim through the reviews and they're in Japanese then it'll actually be good. If it's 4+ stars and mainly reviews in English then it's likey the place will actually be poo poo.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just got back from Japan! I had a marvelously wonderful time, but I think the biggest lesson in pain I learned was taking the reservation system seriously or coming super early if you need to buy day-of tickets, otherwise you’re just setting yourself up for heartbreak - especially during a busy holiday like Golden Week.

I'm already thinking of doing another trip to Japan next year, but considering Osaka or Kyoto instead. What about Fukuoka or other cities? Is it possible to make a day trip to a specific location like Jigokudani or Cat Island and back or do you need to plan on getting a hotel at these kinds of locations?

Also, if I wanted to try out staying at a ryokan, what should I look for? What about choosing a location for the ryokan? Should you stay one night or multiple? I really loved trying out a sento public bathhouse during my trip too, so of course I’d love to try a genuine onsen as well on my next trip. :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm already thinking of doing another trip to Japan next year, but considering Osaka or Kyoto instead. What about Fukuoka or other cities? Is it possible to make a day trip to a specific location like Jigokudani or Cat Island and back or do you need to plan on getting a hotel at these kinds of locations?

If you didn't do any traveling in Kansai this trip, then they're is plenty of stuff to see in Kyoto and Osaka plus you have easy access to Kobe and Nara staying in either city. Honestly for planning day trips the best idea is to use Google maps or something to plan out the route you'd need to take and decide if that is something you'd actually be willing to do twice in a single day. Jigokundani is over 5 hours travel from Kyoto so you would need a hotel, for example.