Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Went to see this on a whim knowing nothing except of Jonah Hills presence. Not a jaw-dropping movie but I had fun the whole way through and would like to go back and give it a rewatch some day. Jonah Hill was excellent, Miles Teller sold me on his character. Only 2 real negatives is that the ending didn't feel like a story-closer for me and the tone felt a bit confused between Thriller and Comedy.

Surprised no one has started a thread about it but yeah I'd like to hear your thoughts on the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I saw it a few days ago. It was a fun popcorn movie, but I feel like I've seen this movie before in past Jonah Hill movies. I also felt like the turn in the third act happened really fast even though there was some foreshadowing of bad business early on.

Certainly not a waste of my time though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How close is this to being Lord of War: starring Jonah Hill??

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

zVxTeflon posted:

How close is this to being Lord of War: starring Jonah Hill??

Not as good but still a fun movie.

I kind of wonder how well this movie did in areas that are heavy into government contracting vs not. I felt like a quarter of the jokes people wouldn't get if they didn't have experience working with the government.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

I kind of wonder how well this movie did in areas that are heavy into government contracting vs not. I felt like a quarter of the jokes people wouldn't get if they didn't have experience working with the government.

Such as?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I was talking about this with my friend a while ago. Lets see if I can remember them all:

- Early scene where Jonnnia Hill fakes being a army Sergeant to get some one else rates. Like that is Federal Pound me in the rear end Prison bad and completely set the stage on how scummy of a dude he was. In the movie it was just kind of glossed over as a joke really quickly.
- The whole website fighting for crumbs speech (cause god its the truth). I did appropriate that the movie was using time appropriate web browsers.
- Getting lost in government building that have same looking halls absolutely everywhere. Happened in both the Pentagon and the Department of Labor for me.
- The whole attitude of "The government doesn't want to see how the sausage was made, that's why they hire us" mentally felt completely true to life. They just want it done, don't want to know how. (Unless it can get them in trouble).

There were a couple that I'm forgetting since its been a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel like the movie communicated those well, though I can believe they'd resonate more strongly if you've got experience in that sort of thing.

• Locked thread