Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
I travel Sunday night through Friday afternoon for work. I fly to random places for work, currently in Shelby, Montana. I was looking to take up a hobby while I am away from home. I bring my camera with me on occasion, but I like to pack light (carry on bag) so I don't always bring it. Does anyone have any tips for what they do as a hobby that would be travel friendly. About the only thing I was really thinking was working on watches. I like to take them apart, age them etc, but I am worried about all the small tools and TSA being picky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
3DS?

Come on, man. You didn't really tell us what you're into besides watches.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
So current hobbies, I am building a 1954 Chevy Truck, I enjoy taking pictures, I collect watches. I was thinking about building a ukulele, and that would require a checked bag. Or looking for a travel case for my mountain bike. I have read a few books while traveling, and I will continue to do that, but I would like to get out and be active. Last week I spent an hour or two every evening walking around Lincoln, NE and took some nice pictures.
I guess mainly what I am asking, is what are some hobbies that are time consuming, don't require much space, and are easy to travel with. I would even enjoy model cars, which should be doable because the paints and glues are under 3 ounces. I would just have to brush up on the FAA regs.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Knit or crochet, needlepoint, painting (watercolor in particular lends itself well to traveling), drawing, writing, beadwork, lap weaving, origami, juggling, parkour/ running/ Bodyweight exercise, computer programming. To name a few.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you like photography then editing and organizing them takes time. Make sure you have a laptop that can deal with editing and either Photoshop or Lightroom installed. You could also take it to the next step and start vblogging and using your camera or I-phone to take video.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Birdwatching? A book or two on birds (or even a phone app like Merlin) some binoculars, and a pen and paper, if you're into recording and checklisting. As a bonus, you can be pretty active doing it, if you wanna hike around. Or you could just sit at a park and try to tell apart all the different sparrows and assorted little brown birds. By traveling, you're setting yourself up to see all sorts of great birds.

Birds are plentiful, varied, and really interesting animals. They can be very smart or dopey as hell, and watching them is great entertainment. You already mentioned photography, but unless you bring a sizable lens with you, it might be an exercise in frustration.

Here's a birding thread!

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
So nature photography sounds like a good one. I have a Sony NEX5 with lenses from 18mm up to 55-210mm. So not too much in the way of telephoto lenses. I am looking at buying an iPad Pro 128Gb 12", I currently just have a Windows work laptop that is pretty weak. I will start looking around the photography threads and researching that. Any basics I should know/items I should have for birds, animals and nature?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The making GBS threads Birds thread How to shot birds, with camera

Wildlife Photography Thread

If you're going to zoos or duck ponds and stuff, you can get decent animal photos with shorter lenses since they're, y'know.... not really going anywhere too far off. That, or fairly tame animals that are used to human presence and aren't going to be running away. I dunno how knowledgeable you are on photography, or the poo poo that comes with working with longer lenses, so sorry if I'm explaining things you already know:

If you want to take pictures of wild animals in the wild, that are going to run from people, you will need long lenses to reliably shoot them. Even then, you will be cropping a lot. Long lenses come with a whole bunch of other headaches and arm aches. They are, generally, bulky, hefty, and expensive. When you shoot with a long focal length, lens shake and shutter shake tend to be exaggerated. So to compensate, you have a tripod (that can handle your hefty lens) and/or have to up your shutter speed to freeze the subject and get the vibrations out of the equation. Then you need to let more light in and up your ISO and/or aperture. And it's a vicious, expensive cycle that has you damning the skittish little birds and your dumb, shaky hands, why the gently caress did I bring a 10 lb lens out here?

Maybe I'm just bitter because I suck at bird photos and compare myself to a literal pro in the bird thread and get all glum about it instead of just shooting and enjoying like I should.

You can still take very good and nice photos of birds and wildlife. Definitely start at a zoo or duck pond.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Drawing/painting/sketching.

Pursue an online degree.

Start a blog where you post about the most [whatever] thing you find in each town.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Good to know. A lot of the places I go to don't even have a Walmart or McDonalds, so finding a zoo will be difficult. I have seen a few Hawks today, and have gotten close to a lot of cattle. So I will have to work on sneaking up on animals. What set up do you use for editing?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Buy a gaming laptop and play lots of video games.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Learn to play the harmonica

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

So current hobbies, I am building a 1954 Chevy Truck, I enjoy taking pictures, I collect watches. I was thinking about building a ukulele, and that would require a checked bag. Or looking for a travel case for my mountain bike. I have read a few books while traveling, and I will continue to do that, but I would like to get out and be active. Last week I spent an hour or two every evening walking around Lincoln, NE and took some nice pictures.
I guess mainly what I am asking, is what are some hobbies that are time consuming, don't require much space, and are easy to travel with. I would even enjoy model cars, which should be doable because the paints and glues are under 3 ounces. I would just have to brush up on the FAA regs.

sounds like undergraduate mathematics as a hobby is the thing for you

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Join the Hash House Harriers, a running/drinking organization with random rear end chapters everywhere. You'll meet local people, see cool local sites, and drink local booze.

All you need are running shoes. In many chapters pants are optional.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Blog/review about the qualities of every bathroom you visit.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
You might want to consider macro photography. It gets you outside and the lenses are definitely not as bad as a huge rear end telephoto lens.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
having recently picked it up again I can recommend needlepoint as a highly portable hobby, I've been cranking out miniature pixel art cross stitch pictures on trains over the weekend, mario mushrooms and the like, all my threads, patterns and gear fit into a space the size of a large ice cream tub and if you pared down the colour selection based on specific projects you could get it down to the size of like an ipad

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Geocaching.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Knot tying! I've been fiddling with perfecting my Monkey Fist knot, it's good fiddly fun to do while the tv or podcast is on. All you need is some paracord and https://www.animatedknots.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
I get a surprising amount of mileage out of a deck of cards and slight of hand tricks on youtube.

• Locked thread