Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

What if they get smart and go through a big re-branding thing where instead of all that stuff they just start posting "ironic" memes of a cartoon pee-pee frog on the Internet? These are civilization-defining questions we're dealing with here.

this is true because sigils are an essential part of any political movement and if i start catching wind of frogs advocating for genocide or holocaust and it becomes thoroughly appropriated we might be able to brick or bat the frog people too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Attacking fascists with baseball bats during the marching in the streets phase is good, because it might discourage them from pursuing the coup stage and we wouldn't have to kill them. Street violence saves lives in the long term.

quote:

Which seems to track with what many people in this thread have been saying.

It's easy to say that a movement was destined to irrelevance with the luxury of hindsight, especially when the violence of Cable Street was a major factor in the British government passing laws that suppressed the ability of fascists to organize publicly.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Seizure Meat posted:

organizing and the like doesn't work against fascists and you think the state supports fascists, ergo by your logic you should go smash a cop in the face

but you won't

the state does protect and support fascists and if i follow your argument so do you. but i dont think i should smash you or a cop in the face unless you're a direct imminent threat to my personal safety. not everyone that protects and supports fascists is a fascist. is this confusing to you?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goddamn, check these dudes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1hD5OlPtw

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

What if they get smart and go through a big re-branding thing where instead of all that stuff they just start posting "ironic" memes of a cartoon pee-pee frog on the Internet? These are civilization-defining questions we're dealing with here.

I'm interested in this as well. Is it ok to "bash" someone who posts a pepe on facebook?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm interested in this as well. Is it ok to "bash" someone who posts a pepe on facebook?

i dont have a facebook, do they have a bash button or just a like button?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddamn, check these dudes out

Fast forward 80 years and their spiritual successors are watching anime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YkWvIkED0s

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jarofpiss posted:

i dont have a facebook, do they have a bash button or just a like button?

Oh ok, So by "bash the fash" you mean post your unhinged violent fantasies about them on the internet.

Ok then. Nevermind I have zero qualms about what you do on the internet.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Oh ok, So by "bash the fash" you mean post your unhinged violent fantasies about them on the internet.

lol fight on every front comrade!~

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone is so fat nowadays :(

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

lol that's what it's always meant here

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mannerup posted:

lol that's what it's always meant here

I guess i've been corncobbed for all these years. A great weight has been lifted from me.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

I guess i've been corncobbed for all these years. A great weight has been lifted from me.

dopnt worry you can keep feeling smug and concerned because i also go outside on a regular basis

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jarofpiss posted:

dopnt worry you can keep feeling smug and concerned because i also go outside on a regular basis

yeah but you don't bash anything. You've never bashed anything

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bash the smash on that Like button

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

bash the smash on that Like button

im on real leftist hours

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah but you don't bash anything. You've never bashed anything

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I mean the Milo event got shut down at UC Davis and he was prevented from encouraging harassment of any students there like he did in Wisconsin, and that was because nonviolent anti-fascism. The only violence was Martin Shkreli getting dog poop thrown at him. Sounds like it was pretty successful.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The only civil discourse nazis deserve is speech engraved on 1200 foot per second copper jacketing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

The only civil discourse nazis deserve is speech engraved on 1200 foot per second copper jacketing.

You haven't shot anybody. You aren't going to shoot anybody.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Stop trying to get people to incite and admit to doing crimes!! Your bad enough for defending the nazis!!

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

People's understanding of the 1st amendment has mutated into "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" being an immutable truth, so when fascists march with the explicit purpose of making people feel unsafe you should be proud they are exercising their rights as citizens.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are BLM protestors that need to have the cops called in to beat their rear end because they have inconvenienced me.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
okay, so jarofpiss, you're limiting yourself to street violence.

First, advocating young people to act violently is generally a bad idea, and won't necessarily go the way you want it to. Like I said, violence is something that you become acclimatized to, so if you encourage young people to go and and get violent, whether or not they're caught, you've gotten them to internalize the idea that violence is okay, acceptable, normal, whatever. That's not a good thing, that's bad, that has a cost associated with it.

Second, political violence is a funny little thing. Ask yourself this: has al qaeda achieved it's objective through the use of political violence? It's goal was to free the middle east from US imperialism. Has it done that? The state of ISIS, established in the vacuum of Iraq, is currently falling apart, and killing a lot of people while it does so. But okay, here's another example. When hitler attacked the UK, he ordered the airforce to focus on attacking cities, with the idea that by 'breaking their will', the UK would eventually capitulate. Did that happen?

I could go on, but the general trend is the same: terrorism rarely works, especially not in the way you intend it to. It's bad strategy. You have to balance your intent to intimidate against the tendency of groups to draw closer when attacked.

That's not to say political violence doesn't work, it can and does, but intimidation is rarely the goal that's achieved. In fact, it's not a goal worth achieving. Your best bet is to be targeting infrastructure, and the base of support, for political organizations. That means ensuring that, at all times, you have the public on your side, when you engage fascists. Therefore, you shouldn't attack directly without a casus belli, because if you do, you're only weakening yourself in the eyes of the public.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

Actually, my killcount on Battlefield is pretty high.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I shot a friend with a bb gun once

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
just to watch them cry?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

rudatron posted:

just to watch them cry?

no we were shooting bb guns at each other

ironically he did turn out to be pretty fascist in the end. Also it was a copper bb. It did not have an inscription on it though.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Fast forward 80 years and their spiritual successors are watching jerking off to anime.

I should say street violence is bad. Selective cruelty by the state is good though. Like say calling fascism a foreign concept and therefore charging them under the alien and sedition acts.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
the only violence i like is my favorite insane clown, violence j [sic]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

HailHorrorHail posted:

People's understanding of the 1st amendment has mutated into "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" being an immutable truth, so when fascists march with the explicit purpose of making people feel unsafe you should be proud they are exercising their rights as citizens.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are BLM protestors that need to have the cops called in to beat their rear end because they have inconvenienced me.

Boy that type of person sure would be stupid.

• Locked thread