Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkfZGBm2d50

Disc Jam is a 1v1 or 2v2 disc throwing game similar to Windjammers, but with the perspective placed behind the back of the player character. Released on Steam and free on Plus for Playstation 4, the presentation is fairly basic, but it feels great to play. There's four characters with varying levels of speed and shot power, and the devs indicated they plan to release more.

I've only played a couple matches so far, but it seems rock solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

This is a pretty good game, been playing with my buddy. Doubles is bonkers. My PSN is MoooTaxman

Been discovering everything by accident, but our favorite shot is repelling a shot over the net by failing to catch it.
E: apparently this is called a stuff block!

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 8, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I like this game! :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was wondering if this was a bad attempt to ride the success of Rocket League or what but I'll definitely give it a try because poo poo it's free.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

It's interesting that I've seen it compared to Rocket League so much since they're not that similar gameplay wise. I guess they occupy a similar niche.

Can anyone who's played Windjammers weigh in on how Disc Jam compares? Besides the change in perspective, it seems like the playing field in Disc Jam is larger.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Ugh, why would they put duplicates in the prize machine? This might take a while.

Servers are matching people up much faster than they did yesterday too, though I can't say ping has been better overall.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

plz dont pull out posted:

It's interesting that I've seen it compared to Rocket League so much since they're not that similar gameplay wise. I guess they occupy a similar niche.

Can anyone who's played Windjammers weigh in on how Disc Jam compares? Besides the change in perspective, it seems like the playing field in Disc Jam is larger.

It's a different game and plays differently because of the perspective not being top-down, but borrows heavily from the Windjammers formula. It works very, very well. And like Windjammers, Disc Jam will also (soon?) have new playing courts that presumably have their own individual quirks (different size, maybe barriers, etc).

My only problems with Disc Jam come from a polish standpoint. It's a very tight game, but there are just enough areas of rough around the edges (mainly polish/juice) that make me feel like it could have used another 2 months in dev. But for a 2-man team, they turned out a great product that I hope catches on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I played the beta. I did the tutorials. I either missed, blocked out, or forgot how to do one move. And when others do it it gets me all the time.

Where it looks like its gonna curve, and it does, but then it hits the wall and keeps bouncing off the same wall. Basically like super spin against the wall...

[edit] Found it in tutorial.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

The wall skip? Do a quick 180 towards the wall after pressing x. For timing think of it as like a fighting game input in reverse.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

plz dont pull out posted:

The wall skip? Do a quick 180 towards the wall after pressing x. For timing think of it as like a fighting game input in reverse.

Yep went back and did tutorial. Thanks for being helpful! :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the wall skip throw is the only thing I didn't catch onto right away. There's a really solid base game they've got here, whenever I win it feels like skill and whenever I lose it feels like I was genuinely outplayed. I haven't encountered any degenerate strategy that can't be beaten yet.

My only real complaint is that it's quite hard to score when you're on the serve against a skilled player. So if I win a point, often I can win the match with them never scoring.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
there have been two patches today--any indication of what they were for? just general back-end stability?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

They seem to be working on their issues, got a bunch of games in this evening. Learned that you can taunt while shielding for ultimate snark (or even slide)!

Does anybody have any opinions on the characters yet? Currently bouncing between whoever I get skins for, but I think I like Makenna the most.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've been using Makenna exclusively. Haruka's little flip seems like it covers less ground than everyone else's slide (maybe that's just confirmation bias though), and I don't really like either of the guys much, though Stanton is kinda funny.

I just wish the loot system were better. I'm already getting repeats, and salvaging the tags gets you pretty much nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Makenna is definitely the best in my experience.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

I've been playing Stanton lately as a training aid, since he is the slowest. His slide is super long though, and helps to improve my tendency to hit square too early.

Duplicates are slightly less painful when they're higher tier, but only barely because of the chance to go on an awful multi-spin/salvage combo.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
It's cool that the latest update added stats. It's weird that the devs seem to use reddit as their base of information rather than, say, their site or something though. Like I looked for patch info for previous patches forever until I finally stumbled upon the subreddit for the game. Maybe that's just easier when you have a two-person team

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone else playing this? I'm OhSoHologramic on psn.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Free weekend on steam! Give this game a go, it's a ton of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish I were anywhere near as good at Rocket League as I am at this game. Had a lot of fun when it was free with PS+

• Locked thread