Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ijyt posted:

It was a very poo poo move I agree. Vial is better anyway: https://get.vial.today/

This is also a web app..

VIA can be downloaded and run on your computer if you don't like using it in browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CRAYON posted:

This is also a web app..

VIA can be downloaded and run on your computer if you don't like using it in browser.

yeah but it doesn't hide it away on github like via, also vial is just better.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hello. My current corsair k65 ten keyless is finally dying, getting bad inputs and other things. Its been time for a while.

I want a good prebuilt tenkeyless mechanical with cherry reds. I don't need RGB, gaming software or anything really just good feel and ten keyless or 80%. What is the gold standard of that now? Ideally I want wired, not wireless. Mostly used for gaming.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Do you want hotswap, or ones specifically with cherry reds soldered in?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ijyt posted:

yeah but it doesn't hide it away on github like via, also vial is just better.

how is it better? am away from fancy keeb comp for right now and wondering if i should check it out when i return to it

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

god please help me posted:

Do you want hotswap, or ones specifically with cherry reds soldered in?

I think I am fine with cherry reds forever, so don't need hotswap. I was looking at Iqunix cause they seem visually appealing but not sure if they suck or whatever.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in, but I'll add my two cents. Any wired keyboard is going to be pretty good. Missing keypresses and disconnections is more associated with wireless keyboards, and can even vary within the same brand by some models of keyboards having zero issues while one model in particular has faulty connectivity. If you want to make sure any prospective wireless keyboards you are eyeing is good, you may want to look up reviews of it on Youtube or ask here. Otherwise, pick any wired keyboard and you're good to go.

Second: It's kind of hard for me to give you a recommendation for any gold standard because usually the safe pick keyboards are hotswap. There's even a lot of affordable models of keyboards that are hotswap as well. It is very hard for me to think of any mech keyboards that have soldered on cherry red switches soldered in besides my own Alienware AW420K TKL, and which some people may find their software annoying (I mostly used the software once to change the color of the LEDs, and then ignored it afterwards lol).

I heard Iqunix was okay! I guess my whole post is to say that your options for what keyboard you can get really opens up if you get a hotswap keyboard and plug in your own cherry red switches. Then if any keys start dying, you can replace the switch, and it'll work just fine again.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2024

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Aw man. I’ve been really good and haven’t bought a GB keycap set for a couple years now. But then somehow novelkeys alerts me to this one:

https://www.deskhero.ca/products/gmk-cyl-hi-viz

The double shot with metallic legends is pretty great. Streak might be broken.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Opioid posted:

Aw man. I’ve been really good and haven’t bought a GB keycap set for a couple years now. But then somehow novelkeys alerts me to this one:

https://www.deskhero.ca/products/gmk-cyl-hi-viz

The double shot with metallic legends is pretty great. Streak might be broken.

I want this.

Goddamit.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
You got me too, drat it.

Edit: on the bright side $296 CAD is way too expensive for me. Here's to hoping someone at aliexpress makes clones of these.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I killed my Code V2 TKL by spilling coffee in it (rip to a real one), and impulse-bought one of these to replace it: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/hotswap-v3-87-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html

The price difference between hotswappable switches and soldered was literally $5 so I figured, no reason not to. I liked the idea of buying it without keycaps too, since I can just transplant the ones from my V2.

Question: What's a good place to buy replacement switches in case I decide I wanna try something other than clears? I'm in Europe, and I'd like to avoid paying ridiculous shipping/import fees. Got enough of that on the keyboard itself ($87 S&H :dumb:)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

depends which switches you're after

gazzew switches are a thread favourite and they have EU vendors like splitkb

the chinese manufacturers like kailh sell direct on aliexpress, which is cheap if you don't mind waiting

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Not gonna order from outside EU if at all possible - Danish postal service takes a ~20 USD processing fee every time they have to charge import taxes, and it is vanishingly few international sellers who handle that for you

Are there any sellers within the EU who sell original cherry hot swap switches?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there doesn't seem to be any keyboard vendors in denmark (there was one but it closed) but there's plenty in the EU

you can get cherry switches from keygem in germany for example https://keygem.com/collections/cherry

do consider non-cherry switches though, you can do better

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Not gonna order from outside EU if at all possible - Danish postal service takes a ~20 USD processing fee every time they have to charge import taxes, and it is vanishingly few international sellers who handle that for you

Are there any sellers within the EU who sell original cherry hot swap switches?

For Denmark, I'd suggest Max Gaming, they have a quite good selection.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Thank you both!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm not down with the keycaps but does that transparent keyboard exist or is it just a render? It seems to say "classic tkl" on it

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
It's not the same model, but womier/gamakay does make a transparent tkl keyboard.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

god please help me posted:

It's not the same model, but womier/gamakay does make a transparent tkl keyboard.

I built my GF a board in this and it's great FWIW. Their barebone boards are obscenely cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I just bought a pair of Tipro Free 128 key programmable keyboards and now I'm looking for sources for more of the 2x1 and 1x2 keys that fit over two switches. Anyone know of anyone selling anything of the sort? They use MX stems.