Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dyna Soar posted:

I guess there's something about this movie that evokes a pretty strong negative reaction here on SA

I mean, the fact that it's not very good definitely evokes some kind of negative reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I mean, the fact that it's not very good definitely evokes some kind of negative reaction.

To each their own I guess. It's not a classic, not perfect and def not as good as Sicario or To Hell or High Water but still I enjoyed it, and it seems like most critics agree with me. Then again I think The Edge with Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins is a great movie, hah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Like what you like, obviously, but what about it did you really enjoy?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I really enjoyed the setting and the realism. The blizzard looked very real and the scenery really looked like it should (I'm from Finland, I know winter). I think it showed the misery of the reservation without dwelling on it too heavily. I liked the main character and Jeremy Renners acting, I think he played the grieving father role well. I liked the plot, it was straight forward and gritty without being grimdark or sappy. I liked the shooting scene at the end, it was visceral and well filmed.

I liked most the dialogue, altho some of the lines were a bit cheesy and the pacing was off, especially in the middle of the movie. Then again the same cheese was there in his previous scripts, but I guess a more experienced director recognizes it and knows when the tell the actors to tone it down. Same with the pacing, that was all on this being his debut. Give him 10 years and hopefully he'll get better at making movies.

As I said, not perfect and not a classic, but there's more good than bad. I guess I'd compare it to The Edge or that Johnny Depp thriller, Secret Window. Enjoyable movies with minor flaws that I def can look past.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 7, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will say the instant Jon Bernthal appeared I had a huge smile on my face (that obviously didn't last for long).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, Bernthal was a nice surprise. I had no idea he was in the movie.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I didn't know anything about this going in other than Taylor Sheridan (I've only seen Sicario, still gotta watch HoHW), and I really enjoyed it. Gorgeous setting and the music was really good. I also liked that there wasn't any real mystery, it's just about the characters and the reservation and what the investigation does to them.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
this movie was pretty good.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
but you could tell it was by an inexperienced director. the POV shots were...not good, and he wasn't great at stretching out the tension, except in one memorable scene.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mean Bean Machine posted:

but you could tell it was by an inexperienced director. the POV shots were...not good, and he wasn't great at stretching out the tension, except in one memorable scene.

It's a real bummer that a better director didn't get to do the pepper sprayed house search. That could have been an extremely tense scene from someone else.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
This movie kinda hosed me up. Elisabeth Olsen flashes her rear end in the beginning and I thought 'Nice' but then we get a similar shot at the end of the indian girl right before she's raped and it's not nice at all!

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 18, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Syncopated posted:

This movie kinda hosed me up. Elisabeth Olsen flashes her rear end in the beginning and I thought 'Nice' but then we get a similar shot at the end of the indian girl right before she's raped and it's not nice at all!

whoa that was an effective juxtaposition. i didnt realize it until you posted this

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I came away from this film thinking that the main character om should have been Native American, and really feel that putting the solutions to all the problems they face on the one white man kinda made it ring hollow.

They raise Jeremy Renner's characters outsider status once in the whole movie.

Overall thought the film was good, I think Olsen did well in the role, but could have had more to do, or more screen time. I felt similar after Sicario with Emily Blunt.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Saviour posted:

I came away from this film thinking that the main character om should have been Native American, and really feel that putting the solutions to all the problems they face on the one white man kinda made it ring hollow.

More than once

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wait, Renner's fully white in the movie right. Am I falsely remembering back around the time the trailers came out, that he was halfblood as a compromise because they based part of it on a real guy who was First Nations?

I can't find any evidence online but I really really remember it (like I remember trying to google the real guy cause I wanted to read what he had to say, all this still before the movie)

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
He's called part Indian in the script.

quote:

DALE

Chief says it's a cat, and they ain't had no luck getting it. I offered Kenny and his hounds, but they don't want a white man running around on the rez with a firearm.

CORY

They don't want a white man out there period. I'll call him.

TIM

I forget you're part Indian.

CORY

Well ... I'm Indian enough to do favors, but not enough to pull a check.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MorgaineDax posted:

He's called part Indian in the script.

well I might be wrong but iirc Tim is one of the local idiot cops who don't know poo poo, and regardless, Cory/Renner says hes "Indian enough to do favors, but not enough to pull a check." so afaik that means he doesnt have any more indian dna than a random american, but he was married and had a daughter and he works on the reservation so hes family, but not blood family

idk thats just my interpretation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The way tribal membership is reckoned frequently can be as little as 1/32rd heritage, so I could see that being an aspect of Renner's character.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm still surprised that they got details like the Fremont County Sheriff's Office uniforms and patches right (my dad was in it for thirteen years), but it's somehow possible to take a snowmobile up to one of the most difficult mountains to climb in the country like it's nothing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The way tribal membership is reckoned frequently can be as little as 1/32rd heritage, so I could see that being an aspect of Renner's character.

yea but he "cant pull a check" or whatever so it sounds like he doesnt even have 1/32th

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They were kind of playing up Shane From Walking Dead as being a bad guy the whole time, or at least extremely suspect, but when we get the flashback nothing he did or said was wrong and he was a victim too. He didn't seem like a bad guy despite the movie expecting him to be one

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's just a natural reaction to seeing Jon Bernthal. The assumption is that he'll be playing a bad guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wouldnt say the movie expected him to be a bad guy.. we the audience sure did. we only knew he was dating the girl and some of those druggies didnt like him and i dont think anything else at all?

his character was way too old to date a teenager though, but its nice to see bernthal play a kinda decent guy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Powaqoatse posted:

yea but he "cant pull a check" or whatever so it sounds like he doesnt even have 1/32th

True. I wonder if I was just assuming that because of Jeremy Renner. Was he never derisively referred to as white boy in this movie?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

True. I wonder if I was just assuming that because of Jeremy Renner. Was he never derisively referred to as white boy in this movie?

I think when he talks to the brother in the back of the car? They both tear into each other so

e: checked, he says "only thing native about you is your ex wife"

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 18, 2017

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

The Saviour posted:

Felt this also, although Renner did put on a great performance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Watched this yesterday. While I enjoyed it overall, it definitely could've been better. The made up cause of death was silly but didn't bother me that much, unlike the flashback and the ending overall. The flashback was extremely jarring, pretty much completely unnecessary, and might've been included for the drooling retards in the audience.

But I thought that basically the whole part between them arriving at the site and the rapist escaping should've been replaced with something more interesting, less cliche, and that makes more sense than trying to kill a federal agent. Maybe instead of a lame shootout, build up something like the dingus story from Hateful 8.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just caught this and loved it. The only thing I'm a little confused about is Renner sees something while looking at the cougars that is enough to get him to urgently radio the sheriff guy. I don't entirely get what clued him into realising they were walking into an ambush

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

fadam posted:

Just caught this and loved it. The only thing I'm a little confused about is Renner sees something while looking at the cougars that is enough to get him to urgently radio the sheriff guy. I don't entirely get what clued him into realising they were walking into an ambush

He saw snow mobile tracks leading to the drill site which I think proved that it was they who had dumped the body of Jon Bernthal? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

fadam posted:

He saw them flanking the cops.

• Locked thread