Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Around a year ago I moved into a new home, a two hundred year old stone cottage which suits my grumpy face down to the ground with a good sized modern extension to the rear which suited my wifes love of the ultra modern. There wasn't much to do but some of the rooms were looking tired and as time wore on relatives were threatening to visit and attempt to squat and stuff, and so the spare rooms needed to be addressed.

The previous occupants were a young family and the worst of the two rooms sported a wonderful combination of hello kitty bollocks on the wall, and a poorly laid pink carpet complete with varied coloured body fluid stains courtesy of the young girl that previously resided there.

BEFORE

With a visit pending from my wifes family I decided to at least tear the carpet up and see what I was dealing with underneath. I was pleasantly surprised to find floorboards in fairly decent nick albeit coated in a coloured varnish that I can best describe as turd and orange.

Rather than forking out for new underlay and carpet I decided to sand these back, I mean how hard can it be to rub some varnish off? Yeah turns out it's loving hard work, and floorboards aren't as consistently flat and level in a super old house as naive me had thought. Also every surface in the house has some dust present despite me sealing the room as best I could. Still, after a few days graft I am here.

AFTER

After cleaning up I was pleasantly surprised, but I just don't know how best to treat these now to preserve them. I really disliked the coloured varnish that was previously on them, what can I use that won't change the colour too much?

Sorry for the gifuckinggantic pictures, will edit to urls if they are a pain,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is that pine?

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

I'm not actually sure, I 'think' so. It has a look and feel very similar to it anyway

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

THE RAGGY posted:

I'm not actually sure, I 'think' so. It has a look and feel very similar to it anyway

It looks like my sister's pine floors and those things were so soft they would splinter if you looked at them the wrong way, so don't go rolling a computer chair on them or anything!

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

They're definitely soft. Leads me to think I probably want a hardened finish which is a shame, I had hoped to get away with some wax oil or something. Good news is the furniture going back in this room is static.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

THE RAGGY posted:

They're definitely soft. Leads me to think I probably want a hardened finish which is a shame, I had hoped to get away with some wax oil or something. Good news is the furniture going back in this room is static.

It'll be perfect to walk on you just cannot drag or roll a thing. They look great though!

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Cheers, will update as the room gets finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm imagining a thread in which OP continues renovating the room but kept the pink carpet. All the while pictures of fixes and improvements would be posted, but never once would the pink carpet be discussed. Eventually it becomes a semi-rustic cozy space, capable of both impressing and relaxing guests, yet the carpet remains pink.

Imagine. Pink of it.

• Locked thread