Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

there was a guy in yospos who’s company was opening an office in shanghai and he was worried that the shanghai employees were going to steal all their ip

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
all my ips gone

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

saw a video online of an american businessman stepping out of the shenzhen international airport only to be stripped of all his IPs in seconds.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

IP Man

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:dmca:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

I WANT TO STEAL TEN

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

China Has Crossed Biden’s Red Line on Ukraine
The president warned Xi not to provide ‘material support’ to Russia. Will there be consequences?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB0vlVm1PkU

Chang'e-6 lunches for the far side of the Moon in 40 minutes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
May it be delicious

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB0vlVm1PkU

Chang'e-6 lunches for the far side of the Moon in 40 minutes.

dudes rock

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

the situation is excellent

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is the Biden redline like the Obama redline?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
As Nancy Pelosi taught us, red lines don't mean anything.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Pretty cool video for the Chang'e 6 mission.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1LJ4m1J7Fe

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dante80 posted:

Pretty cool video for the Chang'e 6 mission.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1LJ4m1J7Fe

Okay but I still think chang e hosed houyi over harder than any mythological spouse.

Motherfucker saved all of humanity, climbed literally every mountain to make her a goddess, and she took both of their loving pills and left him to die.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Chang'e...is this touhou lore?
Will there be Tewi?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Okay but I still think chang e hosed houyi over harder than any mythological spouse.

Motherfucker saved all of humanity, climbed literally every mountain to make her a goddess, and she took both of their loving pills and left him to die.

Hercules’ wife killed him in a way so agonizing he had to be mercy killed but it’s hard to say he didn’t have it coming

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Hercules’ wife killed him in a way so agonizing he had to be mercy killed but it’s hard to say he didn’t have it coming

If you kill one spouse, your next one gets to kill you. It's the rules.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Didn't Nessus lie to Deianeira about it being a magic love shirt and not a poison (since Hercules whacked Nessus)?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

#girlboss

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Didn't Nessus lie to Deianeira about it being a magic love shirt and not a poison (since Hercules whacked Nessus)?

Yup

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pinaysipatricia/status/1786940691647771063

China Publicizes 2016 Deal With The Philippines

quote:

For the first time, China has publicized what it claims is an unwritten 2016 agreement with the Philippines over access to South China Sea islands.

The move threatens to further raise tensions in the disputed waterway, through which much of the world’s trade passes and which China claims virtually in its entirety.

A statement from the Chinese embassy in Manila said the “temporary special arrangement” agreed to during a visit to Beijing by former president Rodrigo Duterte allowed small-scale fishing around the islands but restricted access by military, coast guard and other official planes and ships to the 12-nautical mile (22-kilometer) limit of territorial waters.

The Philippines respected the agreement over the past seven years but has since reneged on it to “fulfill its own political agenda,” forcing China to take action, the statement said.

“This is the basic reason for the ceaseless disputes at sea between China and the Philippines over the past year and more,” said the statement posted to the embassy’s website Thursday, referring to the actions of the Philippines.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Duterte have denied forging any agreements that would have supposedly surrendered Philippine sovereignty or sovereign rights to China. Any such action, if proven, would be an impeachable offense under the country’s 1987 Constitution.

However, after his visit to Beijing, Duterte hinted at such an agreement without offering details, said Collin Koh, senior fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies based in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and an expert on naval affairs in the Indo-Pacific region, particularly Southeast Asia.

“He boasted then that he not only got Chinese investment and trade pledges, but also that he secured Philippine fishermen access to Scarborough Shoal,” Koh said, referring to one of the maritime features in dispute, locally known as Panatag Shoal or Bajo de Masinloc.

Beijing’s deliberate wording in the statement “is noteworthy in showing that Beijing has no official document to prove its case and thus could only rely mainly on Duterte’s verbal claim,” Koh said.

Marcos, who took office in June 2022, told reporters last month that China has insisted that there was such a secret agreement but said he was not aware of any.

“The Chinese are insisting that there is a secret agreement and, perhaps, there is and, I said I didn’t, I don’t know anything about the secret agreement,” said Marcos, who has drawn the Philippines closer to its treaty partner the US. “Should there be such a secret agreement, I am now rescinding it.”

Duterte nurtured cozy relations with Chinese President Xi Jinping during his six-year presidency while openly being hostile to the United States for its strong criticism of his deadly campaign against illegal drugs.

While he took an almost virulently anti-American stance during his 2016 visit to Washington’s chief rival, he has said he also did not enter into any agreement with Beijing that would have compromised Philippine territory. He acknowledged, however, that he and Xi agreed to maintain “the status quo” in the disputed waters to avoid war.

“Aside from the fact of having a handshake with President Xi Jinping, the only thing I remember was that status quo, that’s the word. There would be no contact, no movement, no armed patrols there, as is where is, so there won’t be any confrontation,” Duterte said.

Asked if he agreed that the Philippines would not bring construction materials to strengthen a Philippine military ship outpost at the Second Thomas (Ayungin) Shoal, Duterte said that was part of maintaining the status quo but added there was no written agreement.

“That’s what I remember. If it were a gentleman’s agreement, it would always have been an agreement to keep the peace in the South China Sea,” Duterte said.

House Speaker Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, Marcos’ cousin and political ally, has ordered an investigation into what some are calling a “gentleman’s agreement.”

China has also claimed that Philippine officials have promised to tow away the navy ship that was deliberately grounded in the shallows of the Second Thomas Shoal in 1999 to serve as Manila’s territorial outpost. Philippine officials under Marcos say they were not aware of any such agreement and would not remove the now dilapidated and rust-encrusted warship manned by a small contingent of Filipino sailors and marines.

China has long accused Manila of “violating its commitments” and “acting illegally” in the South China Sea, without being explicit.

Apart from China and the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also have overlapping claims in the sea that is rich in fishing stocks, gas and oil. Beijing has refused to recognize a 2016 international arbitration ruling by a UN-affiliated court in The Hague that invalidated its expansive claims on historical grounds.

Skirmishes between Beijing and Manila have flared since last year, with massive Chinese coast guard cutters firing high-pressure water cannons at Philippine patrol vessels, most recently off Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal late last month, damaging both. They have also accused each other of dangerous maneuvering, leading to minor scrapes.

The US lays no claims to the South China Sea, but has deployed Navy ships and fighter jets in what it calls freedom of navigation operations that have challenged China’s claims.

The US has warned repeatedly that it’s obligated to defend the Philippines – its oldest treaty ally in Asia – if Filipino forces, ships or aircraft come under an armed attack, including in the South China Sea.

a couple of points to comment on here:

- I posted the tweet alleging treason because that's going to be the overwhelming public reaction to this, for anyone who cares at all.

- probably technically correct to say that Duterte did not surrender Philippine sovereignty, because that's not what the EEZ is about. Even the wikipedia article on the EEZ says "EEZ does not define the ownership of any maritime features (islands, rocks and low-tide elevations) within the EEZ".

- all of this makes sense in hindsight: if Duterte made a deal with the Chinese to withhold from trying to resupply Ayungin Shoal from anything more than basic necessities, then no wonder there was just about zero news of any kind of harassment in that sector over the last seven years. It dovetails with the idea that China's actions in trying to block ships from reaching the Sierra Madre is founded upon justifiable fears of further expansion or establishment of a base there - once they figured that the PH gov't was no longer holding to such a deal and might try putting construction materials on ships again, then they start blocking the supply runs.

- the media again is harping on this idea of Duterte being "virulently anti-American", which I've materially proven over and over to be false.

to make a bad analogy, it would be as if a Ukrainian president had entered into a secret deal that he would no longer shell Donetsk and Luhansk for as long as he was in office, and then the next president comes in, and that secret deal gets publicized, and everyone has to act all scandalized as though such a thing was a dire betrayal.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
relatedly, carl zha just released an interview where he goes into the history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zip0LY84aVg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/pinaysipatricia/status/1786940691647771063

China Publicizes 2016 Deal With The Philippines

a couple of points to comment on here:

- I posted the tweet alleging treason because that's going to be the overwhelming public reaction to this, for anyone who cares at all.

- probably technically correct to say that Duterte did not surrender Philippine sovereignty, because that's not what the EEZ is about. Even the wikipedia article on the EEZ says "EEZ does not define the ownership of any maritime features (islands, rocks and low-tide elevations) within the EEZ".

- all of this makes sense in hindsight: if Duterte made a deal with the Chinese to withhold from trying to resupply Ayungin Shoal from anything more than basic necessities, then no wonder there was just about zero news of any kind of harassment in that sector over the last seven years. It dovetails with the idea that China's actions in trying to block ships from reaching the Sierra Madre is founded upon justifiable fears of further expansion or establishment of a base there - once they figured that the PH gov't was no longer holding to such a deal and might try putting construction materials on ships again, then they start blocking the supply runs.

- the media again is harping on this idea of Duterte being "virulently anti-American", which I've materially proven over and over to be false.

to make a bad analogy, it would be as if a Ukrainian president had entered into a secret deal that he would no longer shell Donetsk and Luhansk for as long as he was in office, and then the next president comes in, and that secret deal gets publicized, and everyone has to act all scandalized as though such a thing was a dire betrayal.

not constantly escalating tensions with the superpower next door is clearly treason, don't you know?