Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK, dumb question I’m 99% sure I know the (unwanted) answer to.

I’m building bunk beds, in which the head/foot boards have horizontal 2x6s layered between vertical 1x6s at each of the four corners. This results in 4 gaps on each side between the 1x6s (because the 2x6s don’t fill the entire space, sort of like a pallet), which are a pain to get into and cover effectively/thoroughly, a lesson I learned the hard way completing the lower head & footboard.

I know I can’t stain the wood before assembly and still have glue work effectively to hold the pieces together. Will preconditioner also interfere with the glue’s adhesion? Oil-based, if that makes a difference.

Not sure I would have done this design if I knew how much of a hassle getting in all the nooks and crannies would be. It’s my first time actually sanding thoroughly/carefully and staining/varnishing a project (as opposed to building unfinished 2x4 and CDX-based garage shelves/etc), so I’m picking up a lot of this along the way.

Thanks for any help you can give!

ETA: meant to put this in the Woodworking thread; now I’m the uncool kid here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread