Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

But if that application is unlikely to get you an interview, what's the point? Do you derive satisfaction from the symbolic act of pressing send on a web form?

Probably. I buy Powerball tickets knowing that I'll lose because buying one gives me a buy in to dream about what I would do with the money if I did win. Similar vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Probably. I buy Powerball tickets knowing that I'll lose because buying one gives me a buy in to dream about what I would do with the money if I did win. Similar vibe

It's just, like, a handful of days where you can have something to think about in your idle moments other than how much poo poo sucks. Good use of $10.

:respek:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://x.com/rcbregman/status/1786331219715616890?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Another one of those fun charts where you can clearly see the Reagan Cliff

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Don't encourage number guy

that’ll be $20 please

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

pro tip: just be tall and handsome and part of the ingroup, its super easy to get a job

yep. seems like a skill issue.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Carthag Tuek posted:

pro tip: just be tall and handsome and part of the ingroup, its super easy to get a job

Alas I post here instead of the cool kid forums

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Alas I post here instead of the cool kid forums

My mom told me this was the cool kids' forums :(

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

yep. seems like a skill issue.

my one weakness is being a talentless idiot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carthag Tuek posted:

highly, highly recommended

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s always a little weird to me when they mix “richest” (wealth) and “bottom half of income-earners” (income), but the trend is disgusting even so

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
the worst job application i ever filled out was IT director for some NGO, and I did the usual bullshit of uploading your resume, then entering your information and work history into the next several form screens of what was already in the resume.

after that was a page with like 10 essay questions, dumb poo poo like "what do you believe the role of non-profits are in todays society" anyway i assumed i would definetly at least get an interview because no one in their right mind would spend the 4 hours it took to me apply for 1 job and there would probably be a limited candidate pool.

well you can guess how that went, a thank you form letter 6 months later letting me know the position had been filled. too bad this was before the days of chatGPT where i could have just copied and pasted an answer in in a couple minutes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

lol getting laid off by Max Headroom

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

The Nastier Nate posted:

the worst job application i ever filled out was IT director for some NGO, and I did the usual bullshit of uploading your resume, then entering your information and work history into the next several form screens of what was already in the resume.

after that was a page with like 10 essay questions, dumb poo poo like "what do you believe the role of non-profits are in todays society" anyway i assumed i would definetly at least get an interview because no one in their right mind would spend the 4 hours it took to me apply for 1 job and there would probably be a limited candidate pool.

well you can guess how that went, a thank you form letter 6 months later letting me know the position had been filled. too bad this was before the days of chatGPT where i could have just copied and pasted an answer in in a couple minutes.

being a good boy and writing a lot didn't get you the job? That's a shock

*job advice voice* did you try saying in your cover letter that you really wanted the job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The pilot guy who makes videos about pilot stuff I watch on youtube is doing a series on how Boeing managed to piss their entire reputation down the drain to chase quarterly number that seems very this thread appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbHpJShoXk

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Surprisingly not a deal breaker if you've got the rest of the reqs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The pilot's name? Captain Obvious

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Regarde Aduck posted:

sounds like management material

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

One weird trick to get your career going: use your dad's network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My advice is getting years of experience in a very niche technical field before anyone else finds out about it

Until that bubble pops I just pick a job from whatever companies are harassing me to work for them