Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/04/frodo-lives-a-new-lord-of-the-rings-mmorpg-is-apparently-in-the-works/

quote:

If you’ve been one of the folks begging for a new Lord of the Rings MMO, well, then today’s your lucky day.

Online sports game maker Athlon Games announced this week that it has partnered up with Middle-earth Enterprises “to develop and publish a free-to-play massively multiplayer online video game” set in the Lord of the Rings universe. For reals.

Details are fairly skimpy about the project, but we do know that it will be a prequel to the Lord of the Rings novels (and, time-wise, the currently running Lord of the Rings Online as well). “The game will provide Middle-earth fans throughout the world with a new, immersive game experience for epic exploration of the Tolkien universe,” the announcement stated.

Athlon Games is a new publishing brand created by Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited.

No name, date, or further information was given about the project. The press release mentioned that there has been a “resurgence of interest” in the Lord of the Rings as of late — perhaps due to the upcoming Amazon TV series, which is also a prequel — and as such, this MMO is attempting to capitalize on that.

from their website:

quote:

We’re not about games. We’re about online marketing tools...they just happen to be disguised as online sports games.

sounds shady as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

lolololololol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well I think that we've said all there is to say on the subject, close thread.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
drat son, I got probated for empty-posting lol 10 years ago. All I had to do was find a bad game thread to use it on.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

holy poo poo they own and publish Relish magazine!!!!!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

lmao

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

holy poo poo they own and publish Relish magazine!!!!!

So... A Chinese media company what publishes an American magazine about finely chopped pickles and other recipes is going to make a massively multiplayer game about hobbits and Aragorns - before anyone in the story is screamed at by a Nazgul.

Right?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Just think guys, this could finally be the mmo we’ve been looking for

Also lol

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

thats gonna be one hell of a cash shop

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khako posted:

drat son, I got probated for empty-posting lol 10 years ago. All I had to do was find a bad game thread to use it on.

you just have to know when to do it, mostly

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
calling it now their partner is Digital Extremes (they own 97% of the company)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Chinese holding companies are wild, they'll do literally anything. Can't wait to see how this is gonna turn out.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

snapping up them IPs for pie in the sky MMO announcements like it's 2007.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

goon project: get a Chinese state owned investment vehicle to give SA two hundred million dollars to make a game with gnolls or something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

Chinese holding companies are wild, they'll do literally anything. Can't wait to see how this is gonna turn out.

you can fuse characters to create new OCs, Fraragorn is OP

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I'm interested. They own Digital Extremes so maybe they'll help.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The old MMO is not that great but it'll probably be a lot better than whatever they're going to churn out.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
basically mmos are now synonymous with scams

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
LOTRO is actually pretty good if you like old school MMOs, which a lot of people don't these days but w/e. Some of the story lines play like junior high fan fiction, but you always get the sense the developers really like and respect the books. If this new game generates some increased interest in LOTRO then all for it.

Maybe there will be some crossover skins in Warframe.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
> sports game maker

>chinese

> free to play

this is not gonna be a good, I bet ya on that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fruity20 posted:

> sports game maker

>chinese

> free to play

this is not gonna be a good, I bet ya on that.

I see you are the kind of a person who only bets on the long shots.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Game couldn't be more obvious junk short of Alexander DeLarge making a thread about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

jabro posted:

I see you are the kind of a person who only bets on the long shots.

who knows, it might be way better than expected :shrug:

• Locked thread