Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gran Turismo: Neil Blomkamp ditching sci Fi for a racing film sounded like a bad idea but the results are pretty solid. Probably the best racing has looked since Days of Thunder. And, as the marketing was so keen to point out, it's based on a true story. Beyond that it's still a good sports movie, underdog cliches and all. Great drone shots in this, just some dazzling aerials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maxwell Lord posted:

Freddy Got Fingered: I was expecting either a masterpiece of anti-comedy or the worst poo poo imaginable, and so... it's not really either. With some of the initial shock value blunted (there were some shots I turned away from but I have seen worse), it feels like Tom Green was poking at the bounds of the "idiot manchild annoys everyone" comedy subgenre and maybe trying to twist it to an extreme, but it doesn't quite get there. That or his stuff just naturally works better in the candid camera approach of his show rather than against scripted characters. Of course by this point it just looked to critics like the natural endpoint of an explosion of bad taste comedies- as with the 80s slasher boom they were just sick of this already. The cast is actually pretty good (not just Rip Torn and Julie Hagerty, but I also like Marisa Coughlan as Gord's rocket-and-BJ-obsessed girlfriend) and I was never actively bored, some bits even work as a weird twisted story of how being a creative person is frustrating, but it never quite comes together.

The wildest and most unexpected thing about this movie to me was the LeBaron scene, since I was already familiar with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhpKcakUrYM

And I'm like, okay, I guess that explains that, but that just raises further questions!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Suzume: beautifully animated as always. It's a cute little high school girl story all about how our connections with other people makes the world work. Tragedy is overcome through community love. Everything with the chair is great. Also love the twins and their antics.
And yes there was another Radwimps song by the end finally.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Just saw Sanctuary (2022) after hearing a lot of good things about it. It didn't disappoint. I like movies that are mostly set in one room, with very few characters chewing on each other.

I would recommend a fun double feature with Good Luck To You Leo Grande (2022). Which one you watch first will determine the mood for the rest of your night in a fun way.

Both are movies about sex workers and their clients, set mostly in one room, but one is ultimately a very cozy and even heartwarming tale of finding your own sexuality, and one is a pretty ambigous dark tale of control and submission.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lethal Weapon - somehow I never saw this, and always mixed it up in my head with Training Day. Didn't realize it was this goofy and funny and fuckin' DARK. Gotta say, this right here is a nice use of a lens:

A little while ago I tossed out an off-the-cuff comparison of the racial dynamics in Pulp Fiction to stuff like In the Heat of the Night (where it's placed front and center) and, sight unseen, Lethal Weapon—where, as I was apparently only osmotically aware, it is carefully blended away and never brought up, except amusingly in that out-of-the-mouths-of-babes one-liner from the kid Alfred who says "momma says cops shoot black people". It's interesting that this movie does give me the time-capsule vibe that I sort of presumed it would, where Murtagh is an upscale family man in a tony suburb and Riggs is a crazy-eyed psycho living in a trailer and this is the Cosby Show world we were trying to will into existence in 1987. My theory was that this end-of-history elision of racism is what gave Tarantino what he thought was a free hand to start belting out slurs as a source of wacky comedy, as though they had no real power anymore, and that this is what led straight into Cartman screaming about Jews to the delight of a generation of high schoolers. I'm not sure how well this thru-line holds together with more data points but so far so good

I also wonder how much modern cop-worship (in media and otherwise) can trace back to this movie and its climax where the whole precinct gathers around to watch Gibson and Busey bare-knuckle box it out until all the bad guys are just righteously dead on the ground instead of, like, being taken into custody and stuff. There's a comedic element to it as well as an overlay of "yes yes this is not how cops are supposed to act" but it's also made clear at multiple points that a bad guy will pull out a hidden gun and treacherously shoot you even if he's all but subdued so you'd better just err on the side of killing them first.