Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I have an old, crappy window in the room that I sleep in that does little to block out noise from the outside.

I didn't care too much in the past, but a new neighbor recently moved in on my street and they have a lovely pickup truck with rusted out muffle and they love to drive it around in the middle of the night.

So I've decided to just say the hell with it and plug up the window all together. They view out of it is terrible anyway so I'm not losing much.

I'm trying to determine the best material to make some sort of plug that I can just press into the frame to seal it up. This would allow me to easily remove it whenever I wanted to.

I was looking at something like this to glue together into one piece and then trim down to fit:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/silverboard-24-inch-x-1-inch-x-48-inch-r5-radiant-acoustic-insulation-kit-stc-19-5-piece-/1001066322

Does anyone know if would help reduce sound/vibrations or should I be looking at something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Look at hotel curtains or sound /light blocking curtains. Multiple layers of curtains.

To stop sound you want mass vs foam which has, no mass.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Slick posted:

To stop sound you want mass vs foam which has, no mass.

I checked the local hardware store and they carry Mass Loaded Vinyl mats. I might give a layer of that a try

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Please make sure you are not removing your route of egress which you would need in case of an emergency. Be safe!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Your best bet is multiple layers of heavy curtains as stated above, the air gap in between will kill a lot of the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Your best bet is multiple layers of heavy curtains as stated above, the air gap in between will kill a lot of the noise.

I've been searching around and it seems like people like picking up heavy moving blankets for a cheap way to deaden sound in garages and studios.

I wonder if I could just pick up a few and fold them up and jam them into the window frame.