Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Book of Hungry Names actually takes Werewolf 5E and makes it something I'd like to run but reading the core book that comes with some caveats. The biggest being harano and hauglosk which feel like planned obsolescence for a Garou and I don't think I want them in my game, especially with no way to lower them save maybe a one-shot relic so I'm wondering how much the game changes if I just strip them out. Certainly in my <cough> years of running Werewolf we never worried about harano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dawgstar posted:

Book of Hungry Names actually takes Werewolf 5E and makes it something I'd like to run but reading the core book that comes with some caveats. The biggest being harano and hauglosk which feel like planned obsolescence for a Garou and I don't think I want them in my game, especially with no way to lower them save maybe a one-shot relic so I'm wondering how much the game changes if I just strip them out. Certainly in my <cough> years of running Werewolf we never worried about harano.

The design behind Hauglosk and Harano is incredibly lazy, so you can easily erase those two trackers from the sheet with little consequence. The only real effects, that I can tell, will be;

1) Your players will not have desperation buttons that allow them to refill Rage or Willpower.

2) Touchstones become less important since interaction with them could shift a point from one Track to another, and the threat of increased Harano/Hauglosk is the biggest risk that comes with failing to protect one.

Otherwise the Trackers are completely benign until either one hits max. There's no other rules interactions that I can see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Free Gratis posted:

The design behind Hauglosk and Harano is incredibly lazy, so you can easily erase those two trackers from the sheet with little consequence. The only real effects, that I can tell, will be;

1) Your players will not have desperation buttons that allow them to refill Rage or Willpower.

2) Touchstones become less important since interaction with them could shift a point from one Track to another, and the threat of increased Harano/Hauglosk is the biggest risk that comes with failing to protect one.

Otherwise the Trackers are completely benign until either one hits max. There's no other rules interactions that I can see.
This game design decision, in the words of a Nordic creative I respect, "is dildos"

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Ferrinus posted:

All that said, the "spirits are sure to frown on such abuse" is absolutely damning, just a complete gently caress-you from the game developer in response to the expectation that they do any work or even spend a few minutes thinking things through. Give this one a wiiiide berth.

You know a ST could easily say that this piacular spirit is fine with the pack using they power that way because they're desperate to survive, think the pack will use they power responsibly, just that nice, a total pushover, ect.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

It's true there are a lot of bricks in Holyoke

midwifecrisis fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 4, 2024

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

More BoHN highlights:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Free Gratis posted:

Having slept on it, I think I'll go with you fall to harano/hauglosk if you lose your all Touchstones - whichever one depending on how it happened. Keeps it as a thing without being so omnipresent or inevitable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
in a better game your touchstones would be how you remove points. the fact that it's two 5 point tracks rather than one 9/10 point track is just there to make it easier to enter a fail state.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The rule should be that if you can mark the last point in both tracks simultaneously they mutually annihilate and reset to zero so you can keep playing your character.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

in a better game your touchstones would be how you remove points. the fact that it's two 5 point tracks rather than one 9/10 point track is just there to make it easier to enter a fail state.

A better game would also feature some kind of interesting effects as either tracker rose and fell instead of the Binary No Effect/The Worst Effect.

From play reports from two separate friend circles, the Hauglosk/Harano rules have not come up at all. They're very disjointed from the experience unless you go out of your way to include them, and it doesn't sound like the players ever felt compelled to tap into the Desperation maneuvers they allow. Even if it weren't borderline offensive, it's dull and poorly integrated. Just garbage design all around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

It's funny that looking into seeing if people had come up with their own house rules before I decided to tamper in God's domain myself how many people automatically assumed that was the case which is partially from just misreading the bit on how Touchstones let you shift points around which I guess is like "I spend time with my friend and instead of being depressed about Gaia I am now mad about Gaia" which in another, more interesting game could have been... well, interesting.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Kurieg posted:

in a better game your touchstones would be how you remove points.

But enough about Deviant: The Renegades...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Honestly If I was making Wod I would just use a simple call of Cthulhu style Santy meter for all splats and have splat specific "hang-ups" as added on as a secondary systems